36' light weight tripod

mnnowak

FNG
I'm looking for a shorter, lighter tripod. Everything I see goes up to 48", 52" or 60". I want something to use strictly while sitting on the ground. Does anybody know of anything? I currently use the vortex summit ss. It's ok but I want lighter and shorter. The only reason I want it shorter is that it would be lighter. I never use them fully extended and it's just wasted weight I'm carrying. I'm willing to pay the top prices if it's exactly what I think I'm looking for.

Could you just pull the lower leg sections off the Vortex?

Shorter and lighter with only the cost of a couple of rubber caps for feet. Did that to my new Sirui t-005x. Worked like a champ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4ester

WKR
Could you just pull the lower leg sections off the Vortex?

Shorter and lighter with only the cost of a couple of rubber caps for feet. Did that to my new Sirui t-005x. Worked like a champ.

Nothing wrong with some customization. That's exactly what I did with my Manfrotto. Two sections of legs came off, replaced one of the pan handles with a bolt. Went from 3 lbs 1 oz to 2lbs 6 oz.

KDC (Kramer Designs Corp) Tripod. There's a couple threads about his Granite Peak tripods on here. I have one, used it for over 20 days in the field this past season. It worked as advertised, and it has replaced my Outdoorsmans for most of my needs. I guess it depends what size glass you plan on using?

Hunthigh1

WKR
yep, customization is a great route. Especially since it gives you a tripod of multiple sizes. I have a Sirui 1204X and love it, but decided i rarely use it fully extended. I dropped the smallest leg section out, put on rubber caps to cut weight. The thing is now even lighter and more rigid than before. I will be adding a carbon arrow shaft somehow to replace my manfrotto 700RC2 pan head handle soon to cut a bit more weight as well. . . This will now be one of the lighter pan head systems on the market. . . love the sirui and it comes with an 8 year warranty i believe

For sitting only, I use a slik sprint mini. With a slik SH-704 head, it weighs 31 ounces. I haven't found anything that light that still handles my 15x Swaros with ease. I'm surprised I don't see more people on here use this head. The head only weighs 7 oz and costs about $40.

Beendare

WKR
.....I will be adding a carbon arrow shaft somehow to replace my manfrotto 700RC2 pan head handle soon to cut a bit more weight as well. . . This will now be one of the lighter pan head systems on the market. . . love the sirui and it comes with an 8 year warranty i believe

I have that same head and cut the heavy handle shorter also cutting the long rubber cover down.....but that idea of an arrow shaft might be a winner....please keep me posted if you do it.

For sitting only, I use a slik sprint mini. With a slik SH-704 head, it weighs 31 ounces. I haven't found anything that light that still handles my 15x Swaros with ease. I'm surprised I don't see more people on here use this head. The head only weighs 7 oz and costs about $40.
This is all I use anymore for all my backpack hunts. I just have the ball head that came with it and the total wt. is 26 oz. I primarily use it with a 80mm Swaro spotter. It's light enough and compact enough that I leave it attached to my scope, and just run around with it like that (makes it really convenient to pull out and set up for quick looks). It's definitely not a bomber tripod, but it's cheap, light wt. and works.
634f6f5be15a4b189457d9639be06cbc.jpg

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
having bought two of the kdc granite peak tripods, i would say be very sure about this before you buy, first one i got had some threads messed up on the ball section, big drama to send back, not a great experience nor is the dude easy to deal with, not a very steady tripod overall. i use that carbon one from s and s archery now and it works pretty good. promaster i think

Hunthigh1

WKR
I have that same head and cut the heavy handle shorter also cutting the long rubber cover down.....but that idea of an arrow shaft might be a winner....please keep me posted if you do it.

I did it. Using a nylon bushing to slip over and enlarge the arrow shaft enough to utilize the same mounting screw. I super glued the nylon bushing, and cut a small groove in it to allow room for the edge of the stock mounting screw. I then put one wrap of electrical tape around the bushing to perfect the fit. It seems like it will work alright. Not sure it is much better than just cutting the handle shorter though... not sure what the weight savings ended up being. . . its noticeable but minimal at best. I figure why not! Can always put the original handle back on.

Jimss

WKR
Take a look at Gitzo Traveler or Mountaineer...it will be the last tripod you ever buy! I've used and abused around 10 tripods over the years and it is definitely worth paying extra for a quality tripod! My Gitzo has held up and performed flawlessly for the last 10 years. You may be able to cut the cost if you can find a nearly new one on craigslist or ebay.

Jimss

WKR
I know this is a light weight zone post forum but one consideration with tripods is that it may be worth carrying a little heavier tripod if you are going to be spending hours upon hours glassing! Your eyes, head, neck, and back will thank you! Also, the lighter the weight of a tripod the more wind will blow it around. It is possible to add a rock harness to the bottom of some tripods to add stability in windy conditions.