Stone glacier loadcell

mvmnts

WKR
Thanks for the feedback. I ordered the drycell when I ordered my pack so I'm glad to hear it is handy. I just think calling it a drybag is confusing since drybag is a pretty common term for a waterproof bag, but no big deal. Glad I'll have it!

Can someone post the dimensions of the SG load cell Dry Bag, all it shows on the SG site is 2500 cubic inches.
Thanks

It looks like mines 31" top to bottom , 12" side to side , 4 " thick or deep. Or somewere close to that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oenanthe

WKR
Mine is 4.5" by 12.5" by 30". That's the height measured to the very top; you lose 2-3" when you close it.

If you do the math, that gives a little over 1500 cubic inches. Of course, the bag will bulge out a bit, giving more capacity.

The figure of 2500 cubic inches would be correct for a cylinder; i. e. if you stuffed the bag as full as possible.

TXCO

WKR
I use mine to haul all my food and cooking equipment when I start a trip. Its easy to hang from a tree and know its all in one place. Then you can load it with meat for the trek out.

mvmnts

WKR
I use mine to haul all my food and cooking equipment when I start a trip. Its easy to hang from a tree and know its all in one place. Then you can load it with meat for the trek out.

That's really clever, I like that. I use an opsak/ursack combo already that has complimentary dimensions, so it'd be easy to just run one or two of those in the loadcell.

jmez

WKR

I do the same with my food. They are so light and small I have two of them. When I need to pack meat I just use the extra rather than having to lower my food and take it all out.

a must have for myself, and I love the fact that it isn't 100% waterproof. IMO the load cell and 2 camp pockets are a must have with the SG bags!

Has anyone used any other load cell bag with the SG that's 100% waterproof and is about the same size and has worked well

oenanthe

WKR
As mentioned somewhere upthread, I have a home-made loadcell bag. It's the same size as the SG bag and is made of very lightweight X-Pac fabric, with carefully sealed seams. It works well.

One tip on using a waterproof bag like this: there can be quite a bit of trapped air. So, once I have the bag in place on the frame and I'm ready to cinch it down, I like to undo the rolltop slightly to let any air escape. Then I cinch the bag down and close the roll top as the last step.

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
Can someone post the dimensions of the SG load cell Dry Bag, all it shows on the SG site is 2500 cubic inches.
Thanks

I am a little late to the party, but I am just now going through the same thing you guys are right now with what to do for packing meat on my SG pack I recently bought. I was curious about the SG load cell, but wanted to read around and see what other people thought about it first to see if it is something that would be worth purchasing. I am looking at getting the OR 35L or 55L (SG load cell is roughly 40L) roll top dry sack for putting meat in since I can buy one for at a cheaper price. My thought was lining the inside of the dry sack with a game bag so that I can take the meat out to air out and cool down wherever we camp. We will see how this works, as I am gear prepping for a TMA Dall's Sheep hunt in August.

oenanthe

WKR
I am a little late to the party, but I am just now going through the same thing you guys are right now with what to do for packing meat on my SG pack I recently bought. I was curious about the SG load cell, but wanted to read around and see what other people thought about it first to see if it is something that would be worth purchasing. I am looking at getting the OR 35L or 55L (SG load cell is roughly 40L) roll top dry sack for putting meat in since I can buy one for at a cheaper price. My thought was lining the inside of the dry sack with a game bag so that I can take the meat out to air out and cool down wherever we camp. We will see how this works, as I am gear prepping for a TMA Dall's Sheep hunt in August.

Oh, you absolutely want to put the meat in game bags before you put it in the load cell. Especially if you are using a waterproof dry bag.

For packing out a sheep, I usually have four bags of meat 15-20 pounds each. The bags are sized to fit into the load cell nicely. The only time the meat is in the dry bag is when I'm packing; as soon as I stop for any length of time (even an hour lunch break) the game bags get pulled out and set on rocks or brush in the shade, so they can air out and cool.

If you are looking to buy something, I'd recommend something close to the size of the SG bag but a little bit larger. The SG bag (which I think is closer to 35L) will hold right around 70 pounds of boned out meat - if you shoot a large ram and are diligent about boning it out you may end up with more meat than will fit in the SG bag. The last ram I got a couple of years ago yielded 82 pounds of meat and I had to put it in the main bag because it wouldn't fit in the load cell. It made for some awkward packing and repacking.

I prefer a waterproof bag for the load cell as I don't care for blood dripping down the back of my pants when I'm in bear country. Others prefer the breathable SG bag as you can leave meat in it overnight, which you wouldn't want to do with a waterproof bag.

Oh, and congrats on TMA and best of luck!!

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
Oh, you absolutely want to put the meat in game bags before you put it in the load cell. Especially if you are using a waterproof dry bag.

For packing out a sheep, I usually have four bags of meat 15-20 pounds each. The bags are sized to fit into the load cell nicely. The only time the meat is in the dry bag is when I'm packing; as soon as I stop for any length of time (even an hour lunch break) the game bags get pulled out and set on rocks or brush in the shade, so they can air out and cool.

If you are looking to buy something, I'd recommend something close to the size of the SG bag but a little bit larger. The SG bag (which I think is closer to 35L) will hold right around 70 pounds of boned out meat - if you shoot a large ram and are diligent about boning it out you may end up with more meat than will fit in the SG bag. The last ram I got a couple of years ago yielded 82 pounds of meat and I had to put it in the main bag because it wouldn't fit in the load cell. It made for some awkward packing and repacking.

I prefer a waterproof bag for the load cell as I don't care for blood dripping down the back of my pants when I'm in bear country. Others prefer the breathable SG bag as you can leave meat in it overnight, which you wouldn't want to do with a waterproof bag.

Oh, and congrats on TMA and best of luck!!

All great information, thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts on this! My wife and I will be going on the hunt together and she is more excited than I am and I drew the tag!

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
I have the OR 35L, 55l and the load cell. The shape for the load cell fits way better then the OR bags. I use mine for food until needed, I really like it for the cape of the animal, a sheep/deer cape fit perfectly in it.

frankrb3

WKR
I use the SG load cell and like it a lot. Works great for boned out meat. I think its a great accessory for a SG pack.

gabenzeke

WKR
Haven't received it yet, but just ordered a SG setup. Got the load cell as well. My impression based on podcasts was the the intention was for this to be a food/smelly item bag to be hung when you get to base camp with the added benefit of draining blood with game bags. So my thought is if you have a quarter hung previously and encounter rain, that's where it would shine in addition to preventing your pack from stinking.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk