Stone glacier loadcell

For those guys that are running this I'm guessing you are putting your game bag in this for the pack out. Is it breathable enough that a guy can use this in place of a game bag for a short period of time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have put the boned out meat right in it, no game bag. They are not waterproof, so you can expect some blood to drain from it. Due to that draining, I changed to lining it with a plastic garbage bag (trash compactor size), to keep this clean and bloodless.

tttoadman

WKR
Kurt made it leak. if it is intended to be outside, why not let the blood drain out of it. have loaded with bags and also directly in. It is nylon, so it washes nicely, and no stink left over.

Kurt made it leak. if it is intended to be outside, why not let the blood drain out of it. have loaded with bags and also directly in. It is nylon, so it washes nicely, and no stink left over.

It's a matter of preference. The blood gets on my pack, and on my pants. I simply prefer to not be putting out a bloody smell. But to get the blood smell out, washing it with water doesn't cut it. A mild bleach mix does, but I wonder if that affects the waterproofing of the pack. I wish Kurt gave the option of an ultralight drybag version.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
It's a matter of preference. The blood gets on my pack, and on my pants. I simply prefer to not be putting out a bloody smell. But to get the blood smell out, washing it with water doesn't cut it. A mild bleach mix does, but I wonder if that affects the waterproofing of the pack. I wish Kurt gave the option of an ultralight drybag version.

I think you could just seam seal it? I would use a mild detergent, takes a while but bleach might be pretty harsh, especially on the sewing

mvmnts

WKR
What is the point of the loadcell drybag if it's not an actual drybag? Do you guys find that it's useful even though it drains? Is the point to just keep all of the meat in a roughly backpack sized shape so that it goes into the shelf easily? I just ordered a SG pack, but I thought that the drybag would keep the blood inside, but it looks like I'm either going to be getting messy or using trash bags anyway. Kinda seeming like a waste of money, but I haven't used it yet, is the loadcell worth it?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
What is the point of the loadcell drybag if it's not an actual drybag? Do you guys find that it's useful even though it drains? Is the point to just keep all of the meat in a roughly backpack sized shape so that it goes into the shelf easily? I just ordered a SG pack, but I thought that the drybag would keep the blood inside, but it looks like I'm either going to be getting messy or using trash bags anyway. Kinda seeming like a waste of money, but I haven't used it yet, is the loadcell worth it?

Yes. It is not a waste of money. It's not that messy, I only got a small amount of blood drain out of the bag packing meat last year. The biggest thing it does is control the shape of a boned meat load. It keeps the weight distributed close to your back. For the Krux frame it really helped keeping the frame shape flat to avoid barreling. To me, it's nice to allow that blood to escape.

tttoadman

WKR
I think primarily for keeping shape. If it isn't in the pack, why worry about the blood weeping. If you packed a hind qtr on a frame pack, you wouldn't put it in a dry bag. I would rather not have the meat sitting in blood at the bottom.

Weekender

WKR

Kind of with you about not wanting blood all over my back, pants and pack. I use a sea to summit dry bag which aren't the most durable and a hole rubbed through it while carrying meat, leaked and had blood draining out. Which ended up on the back of my shirt, pants, and pack wasn't super excited about that. So I was planning to get the SG bag but have doubts now that I know it's not a dry bag. Kuiu has some bags I might try or just get another sea to summit they're cheap enough. Thanks for the topic or I would have been disappointed with my purchase.

I've used the SG load cell a fair amount and weather or not it's worth the money, only YOU can decide. Here's my take on it. It is made for their packs and when loaded it fits perfectly in the load shelf and distributes the wt. along the spine (where you want it), very well. It will drain blood as you hike and the blood will get on the waterproof (can't remember what the fabrics called), fabric of the pack/load shelf, but that is what the material is for and the blood cleans off easily. The blood will also drain down onto the back of the legs, which IMO kind of sucks. The bag is made to drain blood so as you're packing out, the load continues to get lighter (although from my experience not a great deal lighter). I don't believe the bag is meant to store the meat in like a game bag because it's not breathable enough to allow adequate air flow. The main, and I think sole purpose of the load cell is to get the meat from point A to point B in the most convent, manageable way that allows the meat to somewhat dry (mainly just drain), and affords the best possible means of carrying it.

So for say a Sky 5900 with tags bags

Are y'all putting the tag bags inside the load cell which is on the meat shelf then attaching your pack?

First, I am in agreement with AK troutbum.

The point of the loadcell is to properly distribute the weight, and it does that exceptionally well; so yes it's worth getting it. It's shortcomings is a matter of opinion, and for some not considered a shortcoming, yet can be easily dealt with.

4ester

WKR
Loadcell is a must for me. If packing deboned meat it keeps it in the proper shape, so it packs so much better. It gets stuffed in my kill kit.

I have probably packed 15 animals out with my SG, with all quarters going in the loadcell. Can't say I ever noticed blood on the back of my pants, but I rarely see myself from that angle.

There is always some around the bottom of the Load Shelf but the X-Pak material does not absorb it.

oenanthe

WKR
All the meat I've put in the loadcell has been in game bags. I think you could use it in place of a game bag, but I'm not sure why you'd want to do that.

You can add me to the list of guys who don't like blood leaking out of the pack and dripping onto the back of the legs. It's not that I'm squeamish, but when I'm alone and packing multiple loads in grizzly country I would prefer not to have that particular cologne all over my butt and legs.

To try and solve this problem, I made a bag out of lightweight X-pac the same size as the load cell. After seam sealing, it is nearly waterproof like a dry bag. This worked great for the caribou I packed out this year in 3 loads. However, a month later, I needed to put a sheep in the bag and it wouldn't fit. So I ended up having to put the sheep in my packbag, and filled the loadcell with gear (on the 2nd load). The sheep meat weighed 82 lbs. when I got home 5 days later - about 10 lb. more than any other sheep I've packed.

So be aware that the loadcell won't hold more than about 70 lb. of boned out meat.

I do like the loadcell concept, as it puts the weight next to your back where it carries better. And on longer trips I use it for a food bag, since my main packbag is too small to hold ten days of food and all my gear (3000-odd cubic inches).

JWP58

WKR
You can add me to the list of guys who don't like blood leaking out of the pack and dripping onto the back of the legs. It's not that I'm squeamish, but when I'm alone and packing multiple loads in grizzly country I would prefer not to have that particular cologne all over my butt and legs.

Aren't you already carrying a big bag of bloody meat?.....which probably smells like bloody meat?

oenanthe

WKR
Aren't you already carrying a big bag of bloody meat?.....which probably smells like bloody meat?

Sure, if I'm carrying meat there's inevitably going to be some odor. But there's a big difference between carrying the meat in a dry bag and pouring out, say, a cup of blood when you get to the truck, as opposed to having that cup of blood dripped onto the back of your legs, one drop every few seconds for the duration of your hike out.

Can someone post the dimensions of the SG load cell Dry Bag, all it shows on the SG site is 2500 cubic inches.
Thanks