MSR Trailshot..... interesting....

Scrappy

WKR
I have one, I haven't had in the field yet. For those wanting to use it to fill there bladder it show right in the instructions how to do it. Filled my 2L in about a minute.

I packed it in for a couple 1-2 night trips this season. Works well and can filter roughly a liter per minute. My only gripe is the tube is too short,to the point that your nalgene is almost in your water source when trying to fill. Other than that it’s great and covers my needs

Bghuntersw

Lil-Rokslider
I've used one for the past 2 seasons and found it gets slow fast and often. It is great for trail running but for hunting I'd rather stick with the Sawyer.

eamyrick

WKR
I had the same experience as Bghuntersw to the point it was taking 10 minutes to fill a Nalgene. A Sawyer squeeze worked better for me and was just as easy.

28bang

WKR
Really like mine. Worked great on my hunt, if it took 10 minutes to fill your nalgene it probably needed to be cleaned and if it was clean something else is going on. I could fill my 3L bladder in 5 minutes.

Someone is really enjoying the view, the atmosphere and mostly likely getting lost in the moment if it takes you ten minutes to fill a Nalgene bottle. I can do three liters in under 5.

Lawnboi

WKR
I used a trail shot this last fall for 9 days, clear mountain streams.

Really liked it, was fast. By the time others had their katadyn out and put together I was full.

I bought it mainly for trail running and mtn biking, but figured I’d try it on a hunt, with known good water sources.

fbhandler

WKR
I may try it for 50$ not to bad based on reviews. Always good to have a few ways to sanitize water 5 ounces is easy to justify packing it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No need to pay $50... I just bought one yesterday for $32. Not sure if I’m allowed to post the name of other website retailers but there easily found for less...

NomadHunter603

Lil-Rokslider
I picked one up a couple weeks ago. Glad to read the results people have been having and looking forward to using it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JesseTac

FNG
Is it a hollow filament filter like the Sawyer Mini? I’ve liked the idea of those filters as far as weight goes but having the Sawyer in colder temps, I’ve found myself not 100% trusting that it hasn’t froze at some point.

Lawnboi

WKR
Is it a hollow filament filter like the Sawyer Mini? I’ve liked the idea of those filters as far as weight goes but having the Sawyer in colder temps, I’ve found myself not 100% trusting that it hasn’t froze at some point.

You cannot freeze the trailshot either. Msr does make a filter that is freeze proof though.m

You can easily check the trailshot to make sure it’s not damaged by following the instructions on checking it.

Elkowalic

FNG
I’ve been using the trailshot for a while now. Works good for a primary source. The inlet tube is a little short. You can replace the filter which I need to do as the flow has definitely gone down. I also just carry a bottle of iodine tabs just in case.

JWP58

WKR
I’ve been using the trailshot for a while now. Works good for a primary source. The inlet tube is a little short. You can replace the filter which I need to do as the flow has definitely gone down. I also just carry a bottle of iodine tabs just in case.

How quick does it fill up a nalgene?

JDZ

WKR
Can you attach an outlet hose?
Or do you find a place to balance your Nalgene and just squirt it in?

Lawnboi

WKR
Just set the nalgene down. I’m sure you could squeeze a hose on there if you want.

It’s also a one handed operation so you can hold the nalgene too.

My only real complaint would be the hose is short and you have to get fairly close to your water source.

This is not a pump that I would want to sit there and filter 6 liters at a time with. But for running and gunning an area with a good handful of water sources it works great

goph707

FNG
I have all 3. The hiker pro, swayer squeeze me, and trail shot. I took the trail shot on a 8 day high country hunt in CO this year. It was absolute garbage! It worked good at first...but slowed down quickly and often. Even after multiple cleanings. That being said I rotate between the swayer and hiker pro.

JDZ

WKR
Just set the nalgene down. I’m sure you could squeeze a hose on there if you want.

It’s also a one handed operation so you can hold the nalgene too.

My only real complaint would be the hose is short
Thanks.

Setting the Nalgene down is typically iffy. Set it in the Giardia-infested water source. Set it on a sloping creek bank. Set it in the willows.

I'd like an outlet hose to connect to a quick disconnect on my Camelbak hose.

Is there any reasons you couldn't add a longer inlet hose?

Lawnboi

WKR
Thanks.

Setting the Nalgene down is typically iffy. Set it in the Giardia-infested water source. Set it on a sloping creek bank. Set it in the willows.

I'd like an outlet hose to connect to a quick disconnect on my Camelbak hose.

Is there any reasons you couldn't add a longer inlet hose?

If that’s your plan you might be better off with a multi hose filter.

IMO the trail shot is nice for what it’s designed to do, which is quick, frequent stops filling a nalgene or drinking from. Not particularly what I’d look for when filling bladders

Reactions: JDZ

MFS

FNG
Have used mine for 2 seasons— works great and my only gripe would be having a longer tube but overall really happy with it.