What tripod head do you use?

JPGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys
Looking for some feedback on lightweight tripod heads.
I've got the Sirui t-025x and am in need to purchase a head.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

+1 for the 700rc2. I use my binoculars a lot on a tripod and with this head I don't need to be loosening and tightening every 5 seconds like you do with some other heads. I can set the resistance I want and pan smoothly, let go and my 15x56's stay in place. for 85 bucks its well worth it and makes your glassing that much more effective.
Also I'm sure somebody will mention the benro s2. Its a little lighter but I didn't feel it was the quality of the manfrotto, the pan wasn't as smooth and it was harder to get the resistance just right. But it's still a pretty good head.

DenRuyter

Lil-Rokslider
Outdoorsmans Pan head is what I ended up with for pan and a Sirui K-10x for Ball head on a Sirui T-1205X pod. I prefer the Outdoorsmans for my optics, but the ballhead is nicer for camera work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
JPGreg

JPGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Thx guys
I'll keep my eyes out for one of these. Don't think I can
Afford the outdoorsman micro pan unfortunately

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Manfroto MVH500AH head (1.98lb fluid video head retails for $130ish) with a Manfrotto MT190CXPRO4 tripod. total weight is like 5.5lbs. the head will hold 11lbs. the tripod is rated for 15lbs - the head weight. I bought the whole setup for around $520

Last edited:

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
I have the manfrotto befree video head and I like it a lot. When I decide to spend the money I'll get the outdoorsmans micro. I just picked up their bino adapter and am thoroughly impressed. They design things the right way, not the way the bean counters tell them too. I'll definitely be purchasing more from them!

worx53

WKR
outdoorsman micro panhead- downfall is their proprietary shoe size but if you use camera/video/ etc. on one tripod buy an extra shoe or two from outdoorsman and get couple arca adapter plates attached to outdoorsman shoes- I can go from viltrox shoulder clip to panhead in 10 seconds with my camera, and the same for the binocs strapped in a universal plate with arca adapter to outdoorsman shoe back on panhead.

mcseal2

WKR
I actually bought the Outdoorsmans micro pan head and returned it. I have 2 tripods a buddy and I use when hunting, an Outdoorsmans compact medium and a Promaster 525T. Both are set up for use with Outdoorsmans attachments. I use whichever one I want that trip based off height and my buddy borrows the other one, he doesn't yet have a light tripod. I have been using the Outdoorsmans standard pan head on the tripod I use, and thought I might switch to the micro instead. After spending a couple evenings glassing with both I decided the increased smoothness and control lever design of the standard pan head is worth the extra weight. I returned the micro and ordered a second standard pan head for the second tripod. I run binos on my tripod a lot of the time and hunt in some pretty cold weather. The lever on the standard pan head and dual controls work great with my Kuiu down mittens in those conditions. Their rifle rest makes the tripod my shooting platform also.

I should add, I don't use mine for camera or video use. Just a spotter, binos, or rifle. I do take pics through my spotter on occasion with my phone and an adapter. I use the Outdoorsmans window mount also so I can use the same heads off the vehicle or UTV. That's another reason I wanted a second pan head, if I'm antelope hunting or something similar where I use the vehicle more I can have the big spotter, one pan head, and window mount in the cab, the little spotter, tripod, and second head all in my pack ready to grab and head out with.

Last edited:

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I have the manfrotto befree video head and I like it a lot. When I decide to spend the money I'll get the outdoorsmans micro. I just picked up their bino adapter and am thoroughly impressed. They design things the right way, not the way the bean counters tell them too. I'll definitely be purchasing more from them!

The beefree video head is lighter than the 700. But I'm not sure how they perform next to each other. When I bought my Befree, the fluid head version wasn't out yet. So I have the Ball head and the 700. I use the ball head on a window glass mount. It worked great for spotting antelope a mile out from the truck.

TravKatQ

WKR
My current setup is a Slik 634 tripod topped with a gitzo series 1 fluid head. Just bought the gitzo fluid head so don’t have too much time in the field with it to put it through the ringer but so far I’m happy with the smoothness of it as well as the counter balance setting for using a spotter. Also have the outdoorsmans micro pan head for my backcountry trips and love it for the weight and size.