Hammock rain fly used as glassing/emergency shelter

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy and I are prepping for out first caribou hunt up in the Talkeetna's, AK. We will primarily be sleeping out of base camp but figured we'd bring our hammock rainflys along to use in this configuration. Whether it's glassing in weather or having to spike out for the night, seems like this is a pretty good configuration? Has anyone had good bad experience with this setup or something similar? FYI its an ENO tarp.
IMG_2194.jpgIMG_2198.jpg

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Should work fine for a shelter since that is essentially what it is. But are you leaving your hammocks up @ base camp? What are the chances of you coming back to wet hammocks? I reckon I'd just bring an additional lightweight tarp, it would really suck to come back to wet bedding after a long day of hunting

Love having a tarp with me to put up when a squall moves in. Best way to stay dry if you don't have to be on the move. You won't regret having it.

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
Should work fine for a shelter since that is essentially what it is. But are you leaving your hammocks up @ base camp? What are the chances of you coming back to wet hammocks? I reckon I'd just bring an additional lightweight tarp, it would really suck to come back to wet bedding after a long day of hunting

No, the hammocks are staying in Utah for more predictable weather. We'll be in a tent for Alaska but were just thinking of brining this tarp along so we could spike out with it and use during the day for glassing to help with the elements, we'll be in field for 9 days.

mvmnts

WKR
I have a fancy hammock gear cuben hammock tarp that I never even thought of using as a bivvy shelter. Might need to consider adding that to the list. It has doors and I can pitch it just like you have and it makes a pretty decent shelter with a pair of trekking poles! I'm a weight weanie though so I'm not sure I could lug around a full eno tarp as a just in case. If I were going to sleep under it over night, I'd definitely pitch it low to the ground, I wouldn't porch it out over night, too much variability with the breeze and potential for rain.

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
I have a fancy hammock gear cuben hammock tarp that I never even thought of using as a bivvy shelter. Might need to consider adding that to the list. It has doors and I can pitch it just like you have and it makes a pretty decent shelter with a pair of trekking poles! I'm a weight weanie though so I'm not sure I could lug around a full eno tarp as a just in case. If I were going to sleep under it over night, I'd definitely pitch it low to the ground, I wouldn't porch it out over night, too much variability with the breeze and potential for rain.

I wish I was able to fork up the $$$ for cuben components. Is it difficult to pitch the cuben tarp?

mvmnts

WKR
I wish I was able to fork up the $$$ for cuben components. Is it difficult to pitch the cuben tarp?

Oh yea, it's a pain in the ass, because it doesn't stretch. You get the hang of it, but it's easily the worst part of having a cuben tarp. They're also ugly, I call it my $400 trash bag. It's a nice piece of kit though, for sure.

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
Oh yea, it's a pain in the ass, because it doesn't stretch. You get the hang of it, but it's easily the worst part of having a cuben tarp. They're also ugly, I call it my $400 trash bag. It's a nice piece of kit though, for sure.

I would happily use that trash bag!

mvmnts

WKR
View attachment 50378

I hear ya! It's pretty slick. Here it is pitched free standing. I was thinking of either doing straight basecamp or backpacking this year, but now I'm considering bringing the tarp and spiking out. Could work out well.

(Not sure how to post photos, they always come out as attachment links)

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use the Seek Outside DST Tarp regularly for exactly what you're proposing. Works well. I don't have the ENO Tarp but imagine it will do the trick. Key is to pitch it properly, but you should be fine.

My son uses his 12x9' cat cut hammock fly pitched as a tarp shelter for a bivvy bag. It's about 8-9oz and packs down to size of a soft drink can
If there's rain about or it's windy, he'll pitch it with all corners staked down (3 sides staked down) and a trekking pole in the centre at one end.

It's funny that this thread was started. I was digging through my box of gear and found my hammock and rain fly and thought that using the fly for an emergency shelter would be a slick idea.

young7.3

WKR
This a a rain cover for a 10 person tent that I'll be using for a backup
c8947406e14352b636d6d1ac23398822.jpg
2bbfd9f90ebf2b91afce4962cab86726.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk