New food option question

Tbob

Lil-Rokslider
So I usually go on quite a few solo pack trips and am getting a little tired of the MT House dinner options for every night in the back country. So here's my new plan, just wanted to get some opinions.
Last month I smoked a few pork shoulders and shredded them all up into pulled pork. With all the left overs I just put dinner sized portions in the food saver and vacuum sealed them and then popped them all in the freezer. So the other night I pulled one straight out of the freezer and dropped into a boiling pot of water.. Within 10-15 min I pulled it out, cut the bag open and it was Delish! Hot and juicy just like I pulled it off the grill..
So now I'm thinking for a 3 day trip, I could freeze a few portion size bags of protein of some sort (pulled pork this time) put it in my pack like a frozen brick and then just throw a vacuum pack of meat in my jetboil when I'm ready to eat. I figure as long as I'm not in the hot desert these packets should stay frozen or cold enough for a few days of dinners.. Maybe take a Mt House for the last night or something...
Anyone else do this?? Just seems like a better way to go not eating those sodium bombs every night that are now sort of all tasting the same to me.. Any thoughts on this? Good or bad?

Daniel_M

WKR
Portion sized packs won't last more than 4-5 hours at best. I do the same for my Kodiak trips including moose and extended back country trips. I'll pack dinners ahead of time and unless I have a full cooler, everything is thawed the first day.

Tsnider

WKR
yeah i wouldnt do that man. i camp a lot in higher cooler elevations, and the meat in my pelican cooler will be thawed out within a day if im using ice that weekend (sometimes use ice packs). those things arent going to stay cold enough in my opinion. dehydrate it.

Daniel_M

WKR
Shameless plug for these guys. I was looking for something equal in weight and just as high if not higher in protein, carbs and fats but an alternative to Mtn House. I go all summer eating them, and when August/Sept rolls around I'll stick with the Beef Stro and Biscuits..other than that, I'm burnt out.

Heather's Choice

Dinners | Adventure Appetites

I've heard "Good to Go" is another brand that's not as high in sodium and are o retry good. I'm planning to try some this year but no experience yet.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Dehydrate your food, add boiling water back, just like a Mt. House. This is all the girlfriend and I ate last year, and now's the time to experiment and get your portions/water right. Having said that, pork is not a great choice for dehydrating because of the fat content, when it came to meats, we only did chicken and elk burger, specifically because of the low fat content.

These guys are telling you the safest option.

But I think you're on to something for short term. Yeah, it thaws in 4-5 hours, but it's not spoiling at 5:01. If you're in a situation the temps aren't getting that hot, you ought to be able to keep it at least a couple days cool enough that it's not going to cause any problems. If you have a cold creek nearby, store them under a rock in the creek. If you're certain the packages aren't going to leak, and they're clean on the outside, Your sleeping bag is a great cooler for the pack in, which will buy you some more time. Just be sure there's no food residue, no need to be a pig in a blanket for a bear. Of course you take the weight penalty by not dehydrating, but for a few nights, could be a timesaver.

I'm not saying it's your best option, but I do think it's viable if you manage it carefully.

Add it into an idahoan potato packet for additional calories.
I think you'd be fine for a couple days at least.
I would personally dehydrate, mix in potatoes and maybe a bbq sauce pack from the gas station.

OP
T

Tbob

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to give it a try for at least a 2 day trip.. Now I know by day 2 things will definitely be defrosted, but I still think it will be cold enough to safely eat on night 2 for dinner.. I'll let you guys know if i die from rancid meat. Lol....
I'm just trying to avoid dehydrating and eating something more fresh tasting.

Daniel_M

WKR
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to give it a try for at least a 2 day trip.. Now I know by day 2 things will definitely be defrosted, but I still think it will be cold enough to safely eat on night 2 for dinner.. I'll let you guys know if i die from rancid meat. Lol....
I'm just trying to avoid dehydrating and eating something more fresh tasting.

I wouldn't sweat the death part, rather the woodsy shits or bubble guts on a trip. Those always suck. I try to add some extra care to perishable foods, granted in Alaska it's fridge/freezer temps come September. :cool:

One other quick thought is you could wrap it in dry ice. A little extra weight going in but none going out!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

dog812

WKR
Dehydrator s are cheap... I take all my left over meals for the couple week s before, dehydrate them... Good to go. Some things come back great, others a little soupy....but you already ate them so you know what they taste like anyway.

IMG_5483.jpgMy hunting buddy introduced me to the dehydrated food approach this last season. He made a lentil stew from a package he picked up at a hippie market in Frisco and added ground turkey. He dehydrated it after it was fully cooked, vacuum sealed and then froze. I think this method ought to have several days of shelf life in the field. With packets of cholua or tapatio it is delicious.

Attachments

• IMG_5520.jpg
    IMG_5520.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 75

dariian

FNG
Another vote for Heather's Choice. The breakfast in particular is great.

I bought a $30 dehydrator last year before an Idaho elk hunt and it paid for itself easily. I made fish jerky and dehydrated rice and beans and veggies. I like to know what I'm eating and using the dehydrator to make my own meals was easy as filling it up, turning it on and coming back a few hours later.

I smoked a bunch of tuna and vacuum sealed it also and after two days it was still good. It wasn't cold but it was doable. Definitely a nice treat after a long day.

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
Often times I make a "burrito " from left overs to what ever I wan, pre cook the ingredients, let them cool before wrapping in tortilla to avoid condensation and sticking of tortilla to tin foil , some cheese in there , wrap in foil and food saver bag and freeze hard, ive packed couple of them for a couple day pack in insulation of some sort, make a nice fire and cook till cheese melts and tort is golden brown,
Still experimenting with filling content , have noticed eggs don't do so good , elk spaghetti is my favorite, yes weight deduction but damn a hot burrito is good on cold days , great for day hunts ,