Impromptu Shelter

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
I was wondering how many people pitch a quick shelter to sit out a rain storm, or to protect from rain/sun when glassing. Is that common? I was looking at flat tarps and wanted to make sure I was seeing all options. For flat tarps, I've seen mention on the threads of Hyperlite Mountain Gear, ZPacks, Seek Outside, and Kifaru. I think the SO and Kifaru prices are more inline with what i want to spend than the other two (<150). Any other suggestions of what to take a look at, or are these shelters not necessary? No specific hunt I'm enquiring about, just trying to acquire gear for any future hunts.

Thanks,
Chris

FlyGuy

WKR
I picked up a Kifaru sheep tarp for that purpose this year. Super light to have in my pack, and easy to pitch as I already use the trekking poles. I typically take rain gear, but if waiting out a passing, heavy thunderstorm I think this will be much nicer and will keep my gear dry too. Might pitch it for shade when glassing too.

OP
C

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
can two people sit side by side in the sheep tarp to get out of the rain or is it just for one person?

ljalberta

WKR
I recently got a Borah tarp. 5.5'x9' less than 8 oz. and only $50. Quite happy with the workmanship as well. The only thing I wish I had them add would be a tie-out in the center of the tarp.

FlyGuy

WKR
I haven't spent any real time with it yet, but I'd say that it will work for two people - but it will be really, really cozy with two guys and packs...

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I made one a little bit ago for the very reasons you mentioned. Mine ended up a little under 10'x10' and is 1.1 silpoly and weighs 14 oz. I think I'm into it for something like $30 or so. Don't know if you have the option, but making one was really pretty simple and being able to add tie out points wherever they're wanted is really nice, too.

Jeremy

Jimss

WKR
Most of the Western US where I hunt I only bring a good set of raingear and rough it out under a tree if it gets bad. Here in Colo and Wyo the weather changes so quickly that it can rain or snow for 20 minutes and be sunny the next. It usually doesn't take long to dry out. Every item in my pack lugging around the hills adds weight/bulk to my pack. I really see no use for hauling raingear plus a shelter around. I've never brought a shelter along on day hunts for close to 40 years of hunting and don't ever plan on using one. For backpack hunting I have a tent to return to if the weather gets sour.

If I was hunting somewhere like Western Oregon/Washington or Alaska where it can rain for days it may be worth bringing some sort of shelter. If set on a shelter...one idea not mentioned above is to use the fly off your tent. I have a Hilleberg Nallo 2 fly that I often use for spike camps that only weighs a few ounces, is bomberproof, and has loads of room.

Simply Light designs. Go there. Much more affordable tarp options. Lighter too. FWIW, their Trail Duster silnylon tarp, which would work great for your needs, starts at $65. God Bless

Last edited:

Ranger619

WKR
Simply Light designs. Go there. Much more affordable tarp options. Lighter too. FWIW, their Trail Duster silnylon tarp, which would work great for your needs, starts at $65. God Bless

Do you know the weight? I can't find it on their site.
Thanks

OP
C

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the heads up on simply light. havent heard of them...makes you wonder how many other companies are out there offering products you want that and havent heard of.