2 man tent

carter33

WKR
I ordered an 8 man tipi on 2 Jun and it is supposed to ship 30 Jun, I would think the sawtooth would be roughly the same wait as they sew in batches. As for a discount code I doubt you'll find one, I cannot say I have ever actually seen one. The only sale items I have seen are in the rhino den which are usually surplus of a discontinued item.

It was a hard time choosing between the sawtooth and 8 man.

OP
L

lif

WKR
I think I'll just order sawtooth and look for liner and stove after.

OP
L

lif

WKR
What's the difference between tut and sawtooth? Is tarp same material?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I think I'll just order sawtooth and look for liner and stove after.

Unless you plan on modifying the sawtooth so you can guy out the rear pole section from the outside rather than run it with a rear pole I would say both the TUT and the Sawtooth are too small for 3 (your wife, your son, and yourself) like you stated. Sawtooth can work with a simple quick modification. But if wanting to consistently do 3 plus a stove the Redcliff or 8 man is the route I would go. The Cimarron would work great for 3-4 without a stove and maybe do it with 3 with a stove and minimal gear.

2 plus stove I'd pick the Cimarron or Sawtooth all day over the Tut.

Last edited:

TEmbry

WKR
For the past couple years I've used a kifaru supertarp coupled with a tigoat bivy when camping in the trees. If trees aren't available to help block weather, I take the Kuiu Stormstar (Brooks Mountains Sheep Hunt, October Kodiak Goat, those type of weather scenarios)

I absolutely love both setups. The tarp is light enough I don't share, I have a palace to myself to sprawl out the pack, bow, boots, etc next to the pad. The stormstar I've used for two guys, and while close together, two vestibules makes it doable (we were weathered in 10 of the 14 days in the Brooks last fall and survived without murdering each other).

The only downfall to the Kuiu tent is that the ram skull in the roof starts to torment you after a few days of being fogged in on the sheep mountain lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just get a sawtooth and be done with your shopping. two large people fit in there but youll need to get a tarp for gear but if your solo then all gear easily goes inside. Absolutely love my sawtooth

Wirehair

FNG
For the past couple years I've used a kifaru supertarp coupled with a tigoat bivy when camping in the trees. If trees aren't available to help block weather, I take the Kuiu Stormstar (Brooks Mountains Sheep Hunt, October Kodiak Goat, those type of weather scenarios)

I absolutely love both setups. The tarp is light enough I don't share, I have a palace to myself to sprawl out the pack, bow, boots, etc next to the pad. The stormstar I've used for two guys, and while close together, two vestibules makes it doable (we were weathered in 10 of the 14 days in the Brooks last fall and survived without murdering each other).

The only downfall to the Kuiu tent is that the ram skull in the roof starts to torment you after a few days of being fogged in on the sheep mountain lol

funny

Charon

Lil-Rokslider
I like my Alps Mountaneering 2 person 3 season tent. I got it about 3 years ago online for about $140. What I don't like is that it's made in china. But It has held up well in wind,rain,snow, (lots of trips) & light enough to hike in at about 5 lbs, or you can use just the rainfly & poles to go lightweight.
I used to go thru cheap $40-50 coleman dome tents about once a year.

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Big Agnes and here's why!! I used the Copper Spur UL 2 on my second sheep hunt in 2008. On two separated sheep hunts my buddy and I sat back to do in the doors and fleshed out capes under the vestibules while it rained!
2 doors and 2 vestibules was part of my search criteria. I have used the lighter ones with a front enter single door and for two people it is just a pain in the ass. So much so that it's worth the extra ounces for me to carry!
Second and more important....last month I sent that tent back to Big Agnes because the rain fly had finally started to say enough I couldn't keep it off of the inner mesh tent. After 11 years I still received 240 worth of credit towards a new tent!!!! WOW!! So I now own the Copper Spur HV UL 2 mountain glow! Just a great all around 3 season tent.
For floorless, hands down the Seek Outside 6 person tipi with stove...not a backpacking option though.

worx53

WKR
tarptent stratospire2- can use with inner tent as a floored or just the fly and easily sleep 3 under the fly only- used floored and floorless strat1 last year to save ounces-even the strat1 fly sleeps 2 guys and gear (definitely one man with inner tent clipped in)
you could put a stove jack in the fly when just going floorless.

Bhaz490

FNG

Do you still have the extra AK chip? Going caribou hunting?