2 man tent

lif

WKR
Looking for a decent to good 2 man pack able. Any suggestions which way to go. And maybe ball park pricing

Grumman

WKR
There is a ton of options out there. Are you thinking floorless or not, and what weather conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

lif

WKR
I would like both floorless and floored but I'm starting with a floored setup. Multi weather tolerant would be best but would start with September tent.

xziang

WKR
2 man floored tent a lot of people seem to like BA 2 person tents on here and I have to agree they are a nice tent, a friend uses one. I use a MSR HubbaHubba which I like. Floorless kifaru is a great option but $$ too.

I attempted a floorless shelter (not kifaru) and I just couldn't get it set up to how I would like it and be comfortable with it so ended up selling it.

Scoot

WKR
BA Copper Spur if you want 2 doors, Flycreek if one door is ok. I slightly prefer the arrangement of the CS, but the FC is a little lighter. If you want bombproof, look at the Hilleberg tents- expensive as hell, but you could survive a nuke drop from a mile away in one! Unless you're planning on Alaska or more later season hunting, I'd skip the Hilleberg personally.

xziang

WKR
How do you like the hubbahubba

I like it. I bought it when REI had a sale on them. Previous tent was a cheap stoic which is VERY similar to the msr tent and I still like. Last year for a quick weekend hunt I just used the rainfly and drop cloth to save weight. It worked however wish the material came lower to the ground to prevent the wind from coming in.

One of these days I'll give a tarp another try though and or hammock.

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Have you looked at the MSR Elixir?

We had a Kuiu Storm Star that we used quite a bit including 2 different trips to Kodiak with it. I really liked the pole design and layout with 2 doors 2 vestibules. We liked it so much we sold our Hilleberg in favor of it. Well we had a baby girl last winter and now need a bit more space in a free standing tent. So we opted for the MSR Elixir 3. At 68" wide its plenty of room for 3 20" wide pads. With 40 sq ft at and two doors and two vestibules for use over 5 pounds trail weight on our scale its a pretty nice option and be very roomy for 2 guys especially as its plenty for my wife baby and I.

The thing that sold us on the Elixir over the Hubba and similar was the pole design. It has 3 different poles rather than one continous pole with hubs. Not only that but the two long poles over lap in two places as well as the shorter cross pole intersecting in two places with the longer poles. This makes it a lot more wind worthy than simple one pole hub designs.

In fact if you look at the Kuiu Mountain Star tent it has the exact pole design as the MSR Elixir line as that only difference is Kuiu's Mountain Star has its poles on the outside of the fly similar to a Hilleberg or Exped 4 season.

Mountain Star Two-Person Tent - Mountain Tent | KUIU

This style of tent is stouter and minimal weight penalty over tents like the Hubba for a lot more wind worthy tent.

MSR Elixir 3 Tent | | Campmor

Have you looked at the MSR Elixir?

We had a Kuiu Storm Star that we used quite a bit including 2 different trips to Kodiak with it. I really liked the pole design and layout with 2 doors 2 vestibules. We liked it so much we sold our Hilleberg in favor of it. Well we had a baby girl last winter and now need a bit more space in a free standing tent. So we opted for the MSR Elixir 3. At 68" wide its plenty of room for 3 20" wide pads. With 40 sq ft at and two doors and two vestibules for use over 5 pounds trail weight on our scale its a pretty nice option and be very roomy for 2 guys especially as its plenty for my wife baby and I.

The thing that sold us on the Elixir over the Hubba and similar was the pole design. It has 3 different poles rather than one continous pole with hubs. Not only that but the two long poles over lap in two places as well as the shorter cross pole intersecting in two places with the longer poles. This makes it a lot more wind worthy than simple one pole hub designs.

In fact if you look at the Kuiu Mountain Star tent it has the exact pole design as the MSR Elixir line as that only difference is Kuiu's Mountain Star has its poles on the outside of the fly similar to a Hilleberg or Exped 4 season.

Mountain Star Two-Person Tent - Mountain Tent | KUIU

This style of tent is stouter and minimal weight penalty over tents like the Hubba for a lot more wind worthy tent.

MSR Elixir 3 Tent | | Campmor

the mtn star 2p is a great design and tent in general. i had to send my original back due to the caribeners if that is what they were where the poles crossed starting to have stitch failure where they attached. mine never leaked and was a tank up there. wish they would offer a solid grey option again and i would buy one again. kuiu or not a solid tent for the weight. never was concerned in any winds or storms in that tent.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I agree. Great design and great tent for the weight. Just the MSR is quite a bit less expensive which is why I'd go that route. Save up the money for a good floorless down the road and rock the MSR Elixir either 2-3 for $225-$300 if you shop around some.

I honestly look at tents like the Elixr and Storm Star 2 more like 3+ seaons( or better yet half assed 4 season ;) ) like Kuiu lists when compared to compared to the likes of the Big Agnes Fly Creek or even Copper Spur. Which are great tents in their own right, just not nearly as robust in the winds, however they are quite a bit lighter albiet quite a bit more money too. Oh the trade offs. :)

Last edited:
OP
L

lif

WKR
I've actu been doing a lot of research and I'm biting the billet on a nice floorless. Now the quest starts for the best option there want comfort in bad weather for two men and comfort in decent to rainy windy weather for wife kid and I.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've actu been doing a lot of research and I'm biting the billet on a nice floorless. Now the quest starts for the best option there want comfort in bad weather for two men and comfort in decent to rainy windy weather for wife kid and I.

What did you buy? A nest goes a long way to keeping the sleeping area friendly for newbies to floorless. Kinda like having a floorless but not fully committing to it. :)

OP
L

lif

WKR
Haven't bought yet. Still gathering info. Looking at kifaru sawtooth and tipis. Seek outsides red cliffs and cimmaron. As well as possible custom builders. Still need more input. Like to keep at $1000 or less but going to be tough

Agla06

FNG
The tarp tent cloudburst is what I'm looking at. After getting stuck in a tent for extended time last year, I'm not sure if there is such a thing as enough room.

bobhunts

WKR
If you want to use a stove Look hard at the Sawtooth. I just bought one after sleeping in my buddies on my sheep hunt 3 years ago. I really looked at the Cimmaron too but it just isn't tall enough for me and the fabric seems to be a little lighter. Not sure about durability with the cimmaron but I spent more on the Sawtooth than the other so take time to look at what you want out of a tent and decide there. Lots of options!

OP
L

lif

WKR
I think I'm going sawtooth. Anyone no if there is a waiting period on ordering sawtooths? Anyone have kifaru discount code?