Long Cuben Dry Bag?

I'm looking for a long cuben fiber dry bag or roll top stuff sack. Approx 62" long when closed and 28" circumference.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to purchase one?
Who may accept a custom order for this? MLD and ZPacks are not doing custom. Looking for others.
May go DIY but would like to purchase USA made if possible.

Thanks for any info

I'm looking for a long cuben fiber dry bag or roll top stuff sack. Approx 62" long when closed and 28" circumference.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to purchase one?
Who may accept a custom order for this? MLD and ZPacks are not doing custom. Looking for others.
May go DIY but would like to purchase USA made if possible.

Thanks for any info

Jimmy tarps maybe , message him on facebook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, Jimmy Tarps may be your only option, and I think he only makes draw cord stuff sacks (not totally water proof/submersible).

Maybe give Hyperlite Mountain Gear a call as well.

OP
A
Thanks guys, I'll check with JimmyTarps. I thought he only did silnylon but I don't know. I'll give Hyperlite a call too but I didn't see any hints that they do small custom work. I'll check with both of them and report back.

You can also do a search for "Cuben Fiber" on Ebay and get in touch with Jim that way. He sells a lot of CF stuff sacks there as well.

Thanks guys, I'll check with JimmyTarps. I thought he only did silnylon but I don't know. I'll give Hyperlite a call too but I didn't see any hints that they do small custom work. I'll check with both of them and report back.

1df1a8c1e3d5af5839543e32b9111c04.png
these are on ebay

OP
A
I have a bag on order from Jimmy Tarps. Like you said it will be drawstring but I should be able to tie it closed fairly well. Have not connected with Hyperlite and have not heard back from another backpacking sew shop.

Valerie at Jimmy Tarps was very responsive and I look forward to seeing the product.

OP
A
Received my custom bag today and it will work great. 15"x64", .74 cuben fiber, drawstring closure, and 1.5 ounces.

A big Thank You to Valerie at Jimmy Tarps for great communication and fast service on a nice product.

And thanks to you guys for pointing me in the right direction.

Last edited:
OP
A
While the USPS was bringing my Jimmy Tarps bag across the country I got a response from another small shop I had contacted. He also agreed to make a bag but with a heavier cuben material and a roll top dry-bag style closure. I said "what the heck" and ordered that also. Looks like I am set now.

Good deal on finding what you needed. May I ask what it is that you are using such a long "tube-like" cuben bag for?

Beendare

WKR
I'm curious as to why you chose Cuben for that application?

As I understand Cuben, its a high strength fiber sandwiched between Mylar sheets. Very waterproof to begin with but many of the longtime shelter folks on backpacking light complain of leaking over time from the Mylar breaking down, cracking.

OP
A
Who was the second craftsman that is making the roll top one for you ArrowForrester?

Mike

Gen Shimizu at YAMA Mountain Gear, right here in VA, made the second bag for me. It is a nice product made from 1 oz. cuben with a dry bag style roll top closure. I am very happy with it.

OP
A
Good deal on finding what you needed. May I ask what it is that you are using such a long "tube-like" cuben bag for?

I was looking for a long dry bag for keeping my bow and quiver protected from the elements. I wanted it long enough to hold an unstrung bow and wide enough to hold a strung bow and side/back quiver of arrows. Long hikes in the rain, afternoon downpours in the mountains, rainy nights (or days) in the shelter with limited room, canoe/boat based hunts with lots of mud and saltwater - all reasons to throw on some waterproof protection and not worry about it. I hunted with and outfitter and guide once and circumstances made it preferable to leave bow and arrows out in the woods overnight and rain, snow and freezing temps made some protection necessary.

Photodog

FNG
Thank you for that AF. I just checked out their website. They may have just gotten a new customer. I'm looking for a 10"x32" as a liner for my Markhor pack. Did they make it with sewn or taped seams? The 1 oz. sounds like the weight I would like. I definitely want roll-top. I will contact Gen. Thank you. And I love Virginia, my youngest daughter's new home.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

OP
A
I'm curious as to why you chose Cuben for that application?

As I understand Cuben, its a high strength fiber sandwiched between Mylar sheets. Very waterproof to begin with but many of the longtime shelter folks on backpacking light complain of leaking over time from the Mylar breaking down, cracking.

I chose the cuben primarily for weight and pack-ability reasons. I had heard the same as you regarding it breaking down but have no experience myself. So I figured this bag would let me play with cuben while providing a solution that I have been wanting for several years. It won't see as much use as a shelter so I expect it to last a good while for my needs and I will get to find out for myself. Also, my quiver has a small pocket on it and the cf bag is light enough that I can carry it there without penalty and always have it with the bow and arrows. A pair of trash bags just didn't seal well without a fuss and a single bag was too short and/or too heavy, and I'm betting the cf will be more durable.

OP
A
Photodog - Since I had a custom request and wanted some durability at the seams to possibly hang the bag with contents inside, Gen took a few extra steps at his discretion. He put some stitching in the bonded seams and then taped them to maintain waterproof integrity.

I don't know the process on his stock offerings and am not sure how much custom stuff he is looking to do. If you try to contact him and don't get a reply just be patient as I get the impression he is out on the trail a fair amount. My experience with him was positive. I also saw YAMA Mountain Gear mentioned on a shelter thread here the other day.

Good luck!

oenanthe

WKR
Just chiming in here to say that I have some Yama stuff sacks; they are well made, were reasonably priced, and I would gladly send my money Glen's way again. Good stuff!

Beendare

WKR
AF- gotcha.

There is a guy on this site William Hanson that does custom sewing like that....might be worth checking with him.

What you are proposing is a good idea. I would put a big loop in that bag so you can hang it