Ultralight and First Aid?

I just read your 14 cans of chew line, and it literally made me laugh my ass off!!! I am so, so glad I quite that habit. Not only for health and monetary reasons, but arguably more important, the weight savings I now enjoy on my sheep hunts.

God I want a chew, just can't do it.....

Squirrels

WKR
It's funny how different parts of the country call things by different names. Where I come from, chew comes in a pouch, dip/snuff comes in a can.

I went through the kit I've had for probably 12 years. An old Wal-Mart kit. It weighed in at 11oz. So I pulled out everything that I wouldnt use like ibuprofen as my allergic, the dried out alcohol wipes and a bunch of other junk like the children bandaids. Then I added an Israeli bandage, cold meds and the good water proof bandaids. As well as some Tylenol. Packed it all into a UL Kifaru pullout. Weighs in at 7oz!
356a7bda45a9a1e423b3a94f20ef0471.jpg

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was going through my spreadsheet and rethinking this lately.. Below is my minimal 1st aid kit, and I also stash it in an old Kifaru Pull Out. For a framework this what I use for a planned 10 day sheep hunt. I also have allergies, which some may not. I keep a completely separate kit for blister prevention / foot care.

Prescription Pain Meds
Aleve (20)
Benadryl (10)
Allegra D (10)
Finger Nail Clippers
Tweezers
1 package of Steri Strips
6-8 Regular Size Band Aid
Anti Diarrhea Meds
Bandanna
Celox Guaze
2 Large Bandaids
Non Stick Pads (2-3)

Been debating a tourniquet for years, have one, probably should add it...
I keep some duct tape wrapped around my trekking pole I could use and have Leuko Tape in my blister kit. I think I have the basics covered without taking to much.

firstaid.jpg

frankrb3

WKR
Electrical tape, leuko tape, super glue...that's it...everybody has cord for a tournicate

I also carry a commercial tourniquet. Much quicker and easier to apply to yourself or buddy. Imagine someone smoking you in the leg with a 300 win mag and you need to put a tourniquet on yourself. Now you gotta grab some cord, probably cut it, tie it and find a proper branch to use as a windlass. Keep in mind you only have a couple minutes to get this done if your femoral artery is severed and you're probably not ambulatory. A real tourniquet doesn't weigh much and it's pretty much the only solution to an extremity arterial bleed, which as hunters, we are susceptible to.

I have six bandaids, superglue and a tourniquet. I don’t take meds at home, so I’m pretty sure I won’t take them in the woods. I’m not allergic to anything and there’s not much that can sting or bite that requires a kit here. I quit carrying shit just in case. It gets heavy. Sure, there’s a chance I could get hurt, but I could also fall in the shower and I don’t have a suspended harness to strap me in.

mcseal2

WKR
I use a Core 4 Element Talus belt that could be a tourniquet in an emergency. One item I hadn't been packing but will start carrying is the Israeli bandage. I was listening to a Exo podcast the other day and the guest was talking about them. I hadn't really considered that they can be used as a splint as well as a bandage. They aren't to heavy and can be used in multiple scenarios. With my Talus belt holding one side and the Israeli bandage holding the other I could splint an injury enough to get off the mountain hopefully.

I think my hunting buddy and I are going to split the cost of an In-Reach too. I pay for the OnX maps subscription and GoHunt that we use planning hunts. We are going to split the cost of the In-Reach and he is going to pay the subscription. That way we can always contact outside help in an emergency, and our families can contact us.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does your distance from help change your thoughts? In Alaska we can be an 8+ hour drive from a major city. Follow this with a SuperCub flight and then a day or two hiking, and now you are where you START your hunt. Help is not coming fast, and even if they get there fast, its a heck of a journey to get back to a major medical center. Throw weather in the mix, and you could have one heck of a rodeo going on before you get to medical care. I have not backpack hunted the L48 so curious how that might change a mindset. ??

I also want to be prepared enough that I can manage non critical stuff so I can stay in the field and not ruin the hunt of who I am with. A lot of time, energy, and $$ go into the trip. If I can suck it up, deal with a non critical injury, and not be a liability, I want a chance at that. Within reason of course....

Jackalope

FNG
Regardless of what’s in it, make sure it’s clearly labeled and easily accessible. You may not be the one digging through your pack looking for it.

xziang

WKR
I've got something about the size of a billfold however I want to cut that down and just include/add it to the items in my kill kit.
Tweezers
Needle
Thread
Superglue
normal band-aids
leuko tape and mole skin
fingernail clippers
6 major pain pills. (hope they are never used)
seeing people take electrical tape, I have wrapped some around my bow limbs before. (originally did this to prevent scratches from screw in steps I used as a bow holder)

I am an EMT, but try to keep my backpack kit small and simple. It is stored in a blaze orange sil-nylon sack with some emergency gear and toiletries. Most the gear we carry can be used for first aid.

Leukotape
Roll gauze (can cut squares to make bandaids)
Small elastic ACE style bandage
A few bandaids
Fingernail/toe nail clippers (in-grown nails)
Key chain swiss army knife with blade, scissors, tweezers (back up knife as well).
Small vial with pepto, ibuprofen, benadryl (with the leukotape tape wrapped on it.)
Small bottle of alcohol hand sanitizer with medical tape.
Lighter with duct tape on it.
Sealed straw with Neosporin in it.
Squeeze pack of rash cream
Squeeze pack of itch cream

For medical and gear repair:
Super glue
Needle and nylon thread (like dental floss)
Tenacious Tape
Signal mirror (rescue and removing objects from eye)

I can use my potable aqua mixed heavier to irrigate and sterilize wounds. I could leave out the ACE bandage but have rolled ankles and knees enough to warrant it. Also works for a compression bandage.

Cordage and cloth (shirts, game bags, ect) can be used for splints, gauze, bangages, tourniquets, ect. Your belt can make a great tourniquet. I keep a small EMT bag in my truck...just in case with more lifesaving equipment.

7517b27fc423e8ea02e19f1785880855.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk