Ultralight and First Aid?

Augustus46

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I'm currently going through my gear and trying to slim down what goes in my pack. Previously I have carried a pretty good sized first aid kit that I'm pretty sure is overkill. What do you guys deem to be the essentials that need to be in a kit? Anyone got a pic of kits they've put together?

Most people go way overboard. Mine is tiny and weighs next to nothing. Combat gauze, superglue, pain meds (a couple is all) and butterfly bandages. Electric tape is in the kill kit. Should be able to take care of most things well enough to get back to the truck with that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

kpk

WKR
Mine is similar to above but I have Leukotape instead of electrical tape. I also have some alcohol wipes, some stuff for bites/stings, and chapstick as they weigh nothing.

Beendare

WKR
I carry what I need....if its UL then great...if not? Oh well.

For example; In the last couple years some of those Mtn house paks started to give me heart burn...and having prilosec along is a godsend.

Heck, on hunts like a DIY Kodiak deer hunt or our upcoming DIY Ak moose hunt....having a sat phone along [which I consider part of a kit] can be a lifesaver. Heavy yeah....but if you need it you need it.

mt100gr.

WKR
Mine is similar to above. Gauze, tape, pain killers, needle and thread, a couple zip ties, and the most recent addition : powdered blood clotting agent. I heard a vivid recount of a bear encounter/attack that would have resulted in death for the victim, according to the docs, if he and his partner had not been packing quick clot.

OP
A

Augustus46

Lil-Rokslider
Most people go way overboard. Mine is tiny and weighs next to nothing. Combat gauze, superglue, pain meds (a couple is all) and butterfly bandages. Electric tape is in the kill kit. Should be able to take care of most things well enough to get back to the truck with that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm in the "way overboard" category. I'm thinking of doing something similar and leaving my bigger kit in the truck.

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
I find that if you think of the likely injuries/issues you will run into on a mountain hunt, you can put together a minimalist kit that "fits" better.
Barring any crazy, statistically low chance of occurring injuries (lightning strike, bear attack, etc.) the most common issues a hunter typically runs into are:
blisters (can be a hunt ending issue if not dealt with), minor burns (think 4am breakfast and getting fingers too close to cook stove, etc.) minor cuts (sharp tree branch, side-hilling and slip on loose talus, etc.), heat rash in certain fun areas of your body from long, hot hikes (good times!).

With that in mind, I carry a bit of blister prevention gear (About 24" of rolled up K-Tape for heels, etc. as well as a few Moleskin padded "donut" patches), several mid to larger sized waterproof band-aids (covers cuts and burns) and a half ounce container of anti-chafe sports balm, plus some Immodium AD pills, Tylenol PM and Aleve as well as one package of Quick Clot. All of it fits in a sandwich bag sized Ziploc and weighs about 4 oz.

Duct tape on my trekking poles is another piece of kit that I can use to secure a bandage, blister, etc. A bandana has 100 uses. Arrows with broadheads removed or a trekking pole can be used as a splint, secured with the duct tape, etc. Along with your kit, make sure you know how to treat minor and not so minor injuries. One of the best things I did was take a Wilderness EMT course -- I feel solid handling a fair bit of "uh oh" situations in the field, so I can get myself or a buddy out in more or less one piece.

oenanthe

WKR
I try to make things have multiple uses.

For example, I like to have some antibiotic creme along for minor cuts and scrapes, infected bug bites, and the like. And I like to have cotton balls covered in vaseline as my emergency fire starter. So a few years ago I just started using antibiotic creme (it's mostly petroleum jelly) on cotton balls. Voila, dual first aid and firestarter.

Another example would be the simple cotton bandanna. Serves a potholder and a million other things, and is an essential component of my 1st aid kit (compress, bandage, tourniquet, etc.)

Dinger

WKR
....and chuck in a few gastro tablets to slow things up for a very upset tummy, explosive decompression is no laughing matter.

Unless it's someone else then well...it's fairly amusing.

Daniel_M

WKR
Anything more and I'm callin in the bird, though I may throw in a Cat-T and Israeli bandage for sheep.

Vicodin
Anti-Nausea
Ibuprofen
Pepto
6 HD Band-Aids
LeukoTape
needle/dental floss
TearAide
Silicone Sealer
Tooth Brush/Paste
TP / Butt Paste / Wipes / Sanitizer
Benadryl
14 Cans of chew

worx53

WKR
Electrical tape, leuko tape, super glue...that's it...everybody has cord for a tournicate

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

530Chukar

WKR
Most items are end up being just for comfort and not absolutely necessary. A commercial tourniquet is something I keep as its one of the few items that could truly be life saving. A belt or cord will work in a pinch. However, there's a high likelihood of loosing the limb if a cord is used due to the small surface area and it cannot be removed while a commercial tourniquet can be. You may be splitting hairs at this point depending on the severity of the injury. There has been some new protocols in regards to tourniquets. In the past you were to never remove them once applied. The new protocols allow the tourniquet to be removed briefly to limit tissue damage.

mcseal2

WKR
I go really light for the pack and the only thing I have that hasn't been mentioned is Claritin. I fight allergies a bit off and on, nothing bad but over the counter Claritin works. Also Tylenol PM for sleeping if sleep isn't coming easy.

I have a larger bag that has my larger med kit and larger gear repair kit that stays in either base camp or the truck depending on the hunt. If anyone wants that list PM your email, it doesn't really fit this thread. It has more of the big items like burn gell, Israeli bandages, etc.

For the most part multi-purpose items like tape, bandana, cordage, and superglue are what goes in the pack. It's not quite that simple but close.

For me, it's two 2.5" compression bandages, wrapped together with a space blanket.
Some fabric bandaids for blister relief in a plastic candy box, along with some puritabs, bic lighter, Ibuprofen, clarytine.
Some gaffer tape wrapped around my nalgene bottle.
Ventolin for my boy.

Gaffer tape can be used to close a large cut, or stop boots rubbing on a blister.
Compression bandages can stop bleeding, immobilize a sprain or broken limb. Or be applied to a limb in case of a snake bite. Snake bite is one thing that truly bothers me in the Aussie bush.
I don't bother with swabs, or disinfectants. An infection is not going to be a factor in me getting out of the bush. A t-shirt has dozens of uses in a first aid scenario too.
I used to carry single doses of phenergan sealed in a drinking straw for allergy relief. I have hay fever, and there's a family history of bad reaction to bee sting and ant bites (we have some nasty ants as well as nasty snakes)

OP
A

Augustus46

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the posts guys, I'm ordering a few things and going to put together a new kit over the next few days. Going to leave my other kit in the truck.