Ultralight Saw for Cutting Skull Cap

LBES

FNG
Any recommendations for a very light weight saw for cutting the skull cap off of an elk? I spike camp and really trying to keep the weight down this year, including on the pack outs. I don't need a firewood saw, it would be specifically for capping skulls. But if it was multi-purpose, all the better.

Thanks in advanced.

-Ben

fishslap

WKR
I bought a havalon barracuda bone saw this year but haven't used it yet. I've used a Gerber folding saw for many years with great performance. Light, but not as small and light as the havalon. The larger blade/handle on the gerber might be worth the weight though. We'll see. The gerber also comes with a blade for wood and one for bone where the havalon only has a bone blade.

I dont think you need an ultra light weight saw. I spike camp as well but the saw stays at the truck. Get an animal down, process and start moving meat to the truck. You can grab your saw on your last trip back to the animal.

OP
LBES

LBES

FNG
I dont think you need an ultra light weight saw. I spike camp as well but the saw stays at the truck. Get an animal down, process and start moving meat to the truck. You can grab your saw on your last trip back to the animal.

Thats a great idea!!! Thanks!!

Dinger

WKR
I always carry one of these...does the job, weighs next to nothing and about a $1 each.

wireSaw1.jpg

Stainless Steel Ring Wire Hiking Camping Saw Rope Outdoor Survival Emergency | eBay

Last edited:
X2 on the cable saw. I always pack 2 in case one breaks, but they're pretty durable. I cut 11 deer skull caps and cut the bases off a 6pt set of elk antlers with two saws, and the second is still going strong. I like the 3 strand Coughlans ones. 5$.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bughalli

WKR
I've been carrying the cable saw the last two years, but haven't used it yet to have a real opinion. But it's small and weighs nothing. Just put one in the kill kit.

dihardhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a fancy set-up we made by stringing a cable saw between 2 trees with paracord on an elk hunt. Worked great...until it broke. If you go with the cable saw option, definitely have 2 along with you.DSCN9283.jpg