Best Lightweight Bipod for Backpack Hunt

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I currently have a Harris "S" with notched legs in 9-13". It is great for the bench, but not quite tall enough for me to get into comfortable positions in the field, so looking at getting something in that 12-25" range. I am 5'10"

While I am at it and before I purchase, does anyone have any recommendations on alternate manufacturers that I should be looking at?

I quit using bipods about 3 years ago and switched to this system.

Ultimate Shooting System: DIY Tripod for Long Range Shooting - YouTube

Total game changer!

Ultimate Shooting system; Hunting from a tripod, DIY tripod - YouTube

I've taken several deer, antelope, elk and bear using this system and I've competed in long range shooting matches using this system. It's completely stupid how solid and adjustable it is.

It's even great because I can teach my son how to shoot. This is him shooting at 646 yards! He got a second round impact his first time ever shooting that far!!

5b1a21ba5d9674c19b3bb4b409c64cab.jpg

The only con is that it's not as fast to deploy as a bipod. However, it can be stowed on the rifle and still deployed quickly just not as quickly. I've never had a missed opportunity because I couldn't get it deployed fast enough.

I shot my bear from a jagged rock pile in the edge of a canyon. The rock pile was the only opening in the timber for me to shoot across the canyon. I used this tripod set at a semi-standing height leaning against a rock for extra stability and shot my bear on the run at 300 yards after he winded me.

e96de11a8886bb51938ec7462d271f00.jpg

cfffc1389fb467ed294d76191babd07c.jpg
My tripod is now supporting my camera and I'm using my phone as a remote to take this picture!!

There's no way I could have ever made that shot without a tripod.

Here's a pic of me setup in a different spot where I was waiting for a bear I had seen three nights in a row in a meadow across a different canyon. It's hard to tell from the pic but I'm sitting on a steep side hill. This spot was the only spot in the canyon where I could get a clear view over the trees to shoot across into that meadow. It put me within 300 yards of the meadow. The only other opening was at 900 yards.

6e315e66f74ffafaff2bc6d255bb937a.jpg

05cf3c4961a8ab06f4a5c845b1e4e05e.jpg

554975635ef1ec56216ba3d6091e7dfc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The snipepod by Kramer designs is the lightest I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AXEL

WKR
How stable is the Kramer?

How is it to carry a light rifle, i.e. Kimber MA with the standing model attached?

I like the rig based on his site and a phone conversation a couple of years ago, but, given BC's brushy terrain, I am concerned about how these work in such conditions.

The sitting version is not going to work in waisthigh brush, IMO, so I am considering a standing one.

JP100

WKR
If you really want to save weight you need to optimize the gear you have.

The above tripod system is a wikid idea, I have seen very simple ones that do the same job, same with some trekking poles that have removable heads and can attach a V to them.

Learning to shoot off a bag and sitting is worth the time, it weighs NOTHING!

If you are carrying a tripod for a spotter, like most of us are, it would make sense to try and shoot off that, or your pack.
Bipods are great when they work, but Ive noticed alot of the time they are not high enough and we end up shooting off a pack anyway. I have not carried a bipod for a few years and have not missed having one.

I just shoot off my pack, off my axe, off a rock, or sitting. You can shoot just as well if not better off a bag than a bipod

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
I've tried many. I like the ATLAS for bench work, but agree with the above on just using your pack in the mountains. All of my rifles also carry the Stoney Point Rapid Pivot adapter and I rarely leave home without the sitting shooting sticks for when going prone is not an option. They are super light and pack with ease. You can also get the Stoney Point prone bipod, but prefer to use a pack. The Stoney Point system was recently bought out by Primos.

The Kramer system is super light but not as stable as I like, and you cant adjust the length of each leg independently. The NEO looks great, but $400+ for a bipod? I thought the Atlas was crazy at $250+.

Ryanjay11

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Atlas for a bipod. I don't see anything on the market that would make me consider switching.

There are a ton of times where going prone simply won't work. I already have an Outdoorsmans medium tripod/micro pan head for use with my EL's or a spotting scope, so I also carry a triclawps clamp. View attachment 67297

mcseal2

WKR
I really like the Rapid Pivot bipods. I can get to kneeling height comfortably and I'm 5'11". I hunt in tall grass where I need the height fairly often. I use the same bipod coyote calling.

If I'm trying to save weight or have time to set it up, I use the Outdoorsmans rifle rest on my Outdoorsmans pan head on my tripod. It is amazing how much more steady it is using that and having the 2 points of contact with the rifle, even if they are close together. If I'm sitting and glassing an area it's quicker because the tripod is already out and close to the right height. From the pack to the shot the Rapid Pivot is considerably faster.

mcseal2

WKR
I use the Atlas for a bipod. I don't see anything on the market that would make me consider switching.

There are a ton of times where going prone simply won't work. I already have an Outdoorsmans medium tripod/micro pan head for use with my EL's or a spotting scope, so I also carry a triclawps clamp. View attachment 67297

I just got that clamp but haven't tried it yet, just used the Outdoorsmans rest. I need to give it a shot and see how it works compared to the rest.