Rain wrap/skirt/kilts

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone ever used a rain wrap from some of the UL companies in lieu of rain pants? I always have my gaiters with me that come up to just below my knees, and a rain wrap would come down to about the top of them. They seem pretty popular in the UL backpacking world.

I'm interested in the weight savings of course, but also the breathability, extra utility as a mini ground cloth etc, and possibly being a little quieter without the sound of a shell fabric rubbing between your legs. Concerns would be durability for bushwacking, though that would depend a lot on the material choice, and effect on stride length and climbing over things, though that would also depend on the design. Price point is nice compared to the high end rain gear, but I've already got a pair so that's a moot point now.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I talked myself out of it for hunting use. When climbing, taking high steps your gonna get rain, snow and cold air coming up. Sure you might have a good pant under them but it's just defeating the purpose of keeping your pants dry at that point.

For on trail hiking with no difficult terrain I'm still thinking about it.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The Scottish in me wants to have one in our "family plaid". The man in me says me no way in hell! :)

Even walking in/through/and especially over wet grass, brush, and alders my legs would be soaked sooner than even rain pants. Maybe ok for on trail I could see those doing the PCT or Appalachian trail but not so much for backcountry off trail hiking.

Last edited:

Daniel_M

WKR
Better to invest in a good pair of pants that will dry at a decent rate. IE Sitka, Kuiu etc. even the best rain gear won't keep you dry while bushwacking.

Precip transfer whilst slogging interior Alaska vegetation both waist and head high had me soaked. I didn't even bother wearing rain pants given they would've wetted out. Luckily it only lasted 2 days, afterwards we dried out in short order and I walked my pants dry in just a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks folks, that more or less confirmed the downsides of it. I'll stick with rain pants, they look cooler anyways...

Owenst7

WKR
Better to invest in a good pair of pants that will dry at a decent rate. IE Sitka, Kuiu etc. even the best rain gear won't keep you dry while bushwacking.

Precip transfer whilst slogging interior Alaska vegetation both waist and head high had me soaked. I didn't even bother wearing rain pants given they would've wetted out. Luckily it only lasted 2 days, afterwards we dried out in short order and I walked my pants dry in just a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always just wore Helly Hansen pants when I lived up there and I was going to be in wet brush all day. You had to keep activity down to preventing sweating, or you'd be just as wet from the inside. Kind of sucked but sometimes when it was windy, it was the only way to stay warm without a ton of bulky fleece layers. It was awesome when HH came out with some that were at least stretchy haha.

I feel like a skirt would annoying get caught on brush constantly and probably make a ton of noise. It's functional for trail use though.

I usually don't bother with rain pants unless I'm expecting to be in wet brush all day, or it's about 35F and hard rain + wind. Polyester absorbs less water than nylon, BTW.

GKPrice

Banned
The Scottish in me wants to have one in our "family plaid". The man in me says me no way in hell! :)

Even walking in/through/and especially over wet grass, brush, and alders my legs would be soaked sooner than even rain pants. Maybe ok for on trail I could see those doing the PCT or Appalachian trail but not so much for backcountry off trail hiking.

might be a bit racy where the "hoo hoo" is concerned too, laddy

Muttly

WKR
Was in my early twenties last time I checked the price of a kilt in the tartan of clan McMillan, aboot fell over when I heard the price.
Noticed you can now get a camo kilt for about 85 bucks, cheap like borscht comparatively speaking.
If I didn't have these blinding white chicken legs to keep hidden, I,d be all over that! And hate to think of what a good gust of wind at the wrong time would do...