Light Weight Saw Option

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
I am getting my equipment around for an upcoming three week hunt and came across my saw. I have seen a lot of questions regarding light weight saws, but not sure anyone has recommended this saw. If they have, I apologize. The saw is the 15" Little Buck 2 from qiwiz.net. It weighs in at 3.9 oz on my scale. I took a couple of pictures to show the weight and set up. I used a pen to set it up in my garage, but I just use a sturdy stick in the field. Due to his saw blade company going out of business, he came out with a Little Buck 2. The one of have is the original, but I modified mine to use the new blades (shown). I usually carry the wood saw blade and bone saw blade when backpacking and using a stove. It has came in handy in being able to use bigger pieces of wood that you can't break down to size, which gave me a little more burn time. Anyways, it might be a cure for some of you who want a full size saw without the weight.

Attachments

• Saw 1.jpg
    Saw 1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 405
  • saw 3.jpg
    saw 3.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Bob Dustrudes saw as well, it's hard to beat for packable saw.

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
Knives of Alaska wood of bone saw. It’s the last saw I’ll ever buy. Lightweight, great sheath, really durable and cuts through wood like my farm boss

jmden

WKR
Check out the Dandy Saw: Single Handle Dandy Saws

Has a very comfortable, easy to grip and hold wooden handle and a durable blade. I've cut cords of wood with it over the years. Very lightweight and compact. Works great for bone as well.

If I'm not elk hunting (deer, bear, etc.) and don't have a wood stove with me, it's hard to beat the bone saw blade (probably less than one ounce) on the Havalon Baracuta. http://www.havalon.com/baracuta-fitment Baracuta bone saw is a little small for elk.

I've long been a fan of folding saws by Silky and think they are as good as it gets in that size range. They still don't make firewood go very fast. Along the way I heard of the Agawa Canyon saw and checked it out. Made in Canada. Uses 4 different blade options. Think of an improved Destrude design which is all aluminum except the blade. It requires no wingnuts or separate fasteners. It becomes a saw in your hands in about 5 seconds, but collapses to store easily. Not an ultralight saw, but I'll guaran-dang-tee you this thing makes hay in dry or green wood and bone. I've had mine several months and I think it's one of the best saws I've ever used. Mine is the Boreal 21.

Agawa Canyon - BOREAL21 Compact Folding Bow Saw

LaGriz

WKR
Used one on my 1st bull!

In 1996 on a WLM in Northern New Mexico I spot hired a guide that took me into the back country where I took a fine 6X5 bull at 9:45 on the 1st day. The gentleman offered me the use of a 12" Dandy that was a big help as I first skinned and then quartered the large bodied bull. The handle is very comfortable. Although I never cut any wood with it, I can guess it would be an awesome tool for a crew running a floorless tent and stove combo. May be too much for someone on foot just looking to split a pelvis. If you had live stock I would opt for a 18" or longer model.
This is a good product. LaGriz

FatBuddah

WKR
+1 on the Agawa Boreal21. Used it a couple times this spring on some standing 8” snags. You get a workout in with it for sure but it’ll process some firewood

+1 on the Agawa Boreal21. Used it a couple times this spring on some standing 8” snags. You get a workout in with it for sure but it’ll process some firewood

I bought one of these as well based on this thread. Very nicely executed product! Not ultralight by any means but is a very solid feeling saw and packs down easily.

Jimss

WKR
I know my post may not be too terribly popular but my favorite saw is 0...none...notta! I've hunted for over 40 years without one and really don't see a need for the added bulk and weight! I bone all my game so there is definitely no need for a saw. I also don't have a need or desire for fire. I hunt from before sunrise to after sunset so the last thing I want to deal with is gathering/cutting firewood and tending to a fire. I don't even have fires while hunting from my truck. For those that cook or have a fire how do you keep your clothes from smelling like smoke? It seems like you would smell like a smoke-stack and critters could smell you from a mile or 2 away? Anyway, looks like nice saws but I just don't see a need for them.

I really like to take a saw back on the last load when packing out a critter to remove the skull cap off a deer, elk, moose, caribou etc. Can't do that with a knife...and an entire head weighs a ton (well, it will feel like it on your back) on a moose and even an elk. I've used a lot of different models but prefer my Bahco Laplander and my ancient Knapp Sport saw, as long as I can get it sharpened periodically, which is getting harder and harder to find sharpening services.

I do agree with Jimss on fires....never use them either, and I also bone the meat. But I do carry a saw when I am tree stand hunting, whether in BC, AZ for Coues deer, etc. Again the Bahco is a fine tough saw.