“Light” for me :)

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
So, this probably is far from actually lightweight for many of you. However, I’m about to take my first foray into the lighter version of things and hiking in. I made quilts for me and the kids. I made a silpoly pyramid tent and a tarp. I also made a titanium cylinder stove. My kids are still fairly young and can’t carry a whole lot of their own stuff. I’m heading out to the hills soon to hike in about a mile and a half and we’ll be deer hunting from there. I have a Kuiu pack and loaded up my quilt, the tent, the carbon fiber pole, the cylinder stove, two inflatable Klymit pads, my tarp, pillows, Katadyn hiker pro, rain gear, ground cloth, and some other odds and ends. The pack and the stuff I’d put in weighed in st 23.8 lbs.

I still have to add food and my Kovea spider, canister, and pot as well as fill my water bladder. That will certainly add some weight, but I’m pretty happy. We are going to be dry and warm with that stove and get some quality father son time together. And I’m not carrying 60 lbs of gear in :).

Jeremy

WKR
I'm honestly astounded that you only hit 24 lbs! That's a load.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mrgreen

WKR
.......My kids are still fairly young and can’t carry a whole lot of their own stuff. I’m heading out to the hills soon to hike in about a mile and a half...............loaded up my quilt, the tent, the carbon fiber pole, the cylinder stove, two inflatable Klymit pads, my tarp, pillows, ..........The pack and the stuff I’d put in weighed in st 23.8 lbs.

...............quality father son time together. And I’m not carrying 60 lbs of gear in :).
Jeremy

Good for you, should be great! A couple of suggestions based on my experience with my son, and as a BSA Leader. Kids can sleep on the lightest/cheapest pad imaginable (always makes me jealous). If you let him use a pack or bookbag he can probably carry his pad, quilt and pillow. Plus his choice of snacks. When you add food, water and hunting gear your pack weight might double.

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
Its all light in till you add food,water and gun. Either way sounds like you can't get any lighter. Latley when I take my son he will bring a toy truck or something to mess with while I'm glassing for awhile. I also got him a cheap set of binos and that keeps him occupied for awhile longer. Snacks are good.

gumbl3

WKR
Sounds awesome... watch them kids around the stove, there going to want to touch it, ask me how I know

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the suggestions-they’re appreciated. The pads are only 19 or so ounces, so that’s fairly decent. The older boy is going in with me first and he’s going to carry his own quilt and some other stuff. I started making up the bags of food tonight and realized quickly that’s going to add some meaningful weight. I’m trying to include some sweets in there for them along with snack stuff. They like trail mix and pepperoni stick so there’s some of that for each day along with peanut butter, honey, and pre cooked bacon to go on a tortilla. I also got a screaming deal on some 8.5x32 vortex binos for them to be looking for critters. I must say, I’m looking forward to hiking out with less food to carry. Well, except for the deer meat, that is... :)

Jeremy