trekking pole tripod

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone here ever make or use an adapter to use trekking poles as tripod legs? Buddy and I have been talking about it for a while. So I looked in the scrap bin and came up with this. Remembered I had an old leupold head that I haven't used for years. Put it on the milling machine in a rotary table and carved on it too. There is still a bit more that I can cut out of it. There is an aluminum screw that pushes against the tip of the pole and holds them in securely. The first one I made didn't have that and the poles would fall out if you picked up the tripod to re-position.

Aaron

1zqvudw.jpg

2nbvoxt.jpg

KBC

WKR
I've thought about doing the same thing using the threads on the end of the trekking poles to secure them but I'm not sure how long the plastic threads would hold up.

GotDraw?

WKR
i have been using an awesome adapter. Threatened to write it up a while ago and never got around to it. Will do so this week.

JL

This is an interesting idea. I recently bought a Promaster xc25c tripod, and one of the legs can unscrew and be used as a monopod. If a second one could be converted you would no longer need trekking poles.

Adapt it for tent poles as well and it would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
Redesigned it a little to make it more balanced. Been using it all year and I love it.
b7f2dd0dba6642b386e6dc02f17f235a.jpg
eb5bd4db8153da710198856bc48e49f1.jpg
e60384a3e7caae850a9ce4323bfce632.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Can you show more pics so I can make my own? What an awesome idea.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
R

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have any more pics on my phone. I'll try to remember to dig it out tonight and take a few. Not much too it. Just a few holes in a piece of pipe

I don't have any more pics on my phone. I'll try to remember to dig it out tonight and take a few. Not much too it. Just a few holes in a piece of pipe

Does the angle of the holes matter much?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
R

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think its crucial. Don't want the legs splayed too wide because it will get harder to drill the holes at the extreme angle

OP
R

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a few more pictures. The reason one of the holes has a slot through the middle of it is because I wanted it to be able to use a trekking pole OR ice ax. I only carry two poles and the ax when going solo, but wanted the adjustability of the trekking pole when going with a buddy.
86a6cf1cdc7ec66ea9f85678d72828c5.jpg
5c2f05b7c44525c5be21caac73da42f0.jpg
034d72f2caffeaff3e42fa6ee890a65e.jpg

Bghuntersw

Lil-Rokslider
Nightforce tried this as well, but it doesn't seem to be as practically as initially thought. Yours looks nice, would like to try this myself.

That’s a really cool idea! I’m looking at the pictures on my phone and having a hard time seeing what the weight is, what is the total weight?

Sweet! in my constant attempt to become more of a minimalist and decrease my pack weight, I love seeing ideas that make multiple uses out of items. 13 oz. would cut my tripod weight in half.

OP
R

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
Thats a big part of why I like it. Makes my trekking poles have three uses! Trekking, tarp, and now tripod. Basically you trade the tripod legs which are normally around 2# for a couple ounces. Need a head either way.