How much lighter can my cook kit get?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
My current pot is 7.8oz and stove is 7.9oz. Without going to an alcohol system could I cut my weight in half?

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
For sure. The Snow Peak Titanium Trek 700 Mug weighs 4.8 oz and holds 24 ounces of liquid; plenty of water for a Mountain House and a bit left over for instant coffee.
Stove -- The MSR PocketRocket 2 weighs 2.6 oz. Add in a fuel canister (basically 4 oz) and you are looking at roughly 12 oz. for a pot, stove and full fuel canister with enough gas to get you through a number of meals. That will shave about 4 oz off your current setup, which I am not sure included fuel in your initial weights. If you go pot/stove combo only, you are at 7.4 ounces, which combined is less than your current pot or stove alone.

This is basically the setup I use. It is simple, boils water quickly, everything fits in the titanium pot, and I pair it up with a titanium folding spork. You can start trying to shave a few grams here and there, etc. if you decide to go down the ultralight rabbit hole (Backpacking Light is a good forum for that) but in reality, it won't cut too much weight overall. Look to shave weight elsewhere -- shelter, pack, sleep system, clothes, etc.

Hope this helps!

sweetroll

FNG
I have a 450mL Valtcan Ti camp cup from Amazon (2.5oz) and the Pocket Rocket 2. We do our own single serving dehydrated meals in baggies and the 450mL cup is big enough for the water required for the meal and is small enough to fit in any size pack you may be using. The Pocket Rocket 2 works great and is light, but you need a lighter. Because of that, I would suggest going with the Soto Windmaster over the Pocket Rocket 2 if you're spending the money right now. It's lighter, more BTU's, and has an igniter so you don't have to locate a lighter every time your're cooking. You can then make the call on whether you still want to carry a Bic lighter or not (I still would). Massdrop had the Soto at one point for a good price, so maybe keep any eye out there.

Owenst7

WKR
My Kovea Supalite is 2 ounces and I usually use the bowl from my Trangia 28 which weighs under 4 ounces (IIRC that includes the teflon skillet that doubles as a lid).

I bought a Trangia 28/mini for $30 to use during the summer/day hikes in the winter and liked the bowl/skillet/lid that I use it with all my stoves now. The width of the bowl makes it more fuel efficient and it holds enough water to work well for 2 people (even did 3 on my last trip). I heat water for coffee + my meal in the bowl, dump 6-8 oz into my $2 Starbucks cup for coffee, then add my food to the bowl and cover/insulate it for a few minutes while it soaks.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great information everyone! I was weighing stuff last night and this area jumped out at me. I was going to weigh each gear category and see how I stack up.

Beendare

WKR
Similar to THB above...

I have the optimus Crux, and a Ti pot thats right about that 7- 8oz mark NIC canister. The stove and small canister fit in the pot. Its about as compact and light a system as a guy can get.

colonel00

WKR

I picked up one of those cups and one of these stoves as a super UL cooking setup. I can see what it all weighs later but it's light. Haven't use the stove enough to say how reliable it is but it seems to get good reviews on the intergoogle.

Also, that's a stove and a pot for $40 or so. Not too shabby

Amazon.com : BRS Only 25g BRS-3000T Ultra-light Titanium Alloy Camping Stove Gas Stoves Outdoor Cooker Outdoor Stove Gas Stove Miniature Portable Picnic : Sports & Outdoors

yc9AAvZpRLYsOmPQfau0lYbyPV_KnjP9IMpA5rayV7c0RpXbhlVrKG_u9EJi9wZT7gHTdi0ClkFgoI3vTxAzwUkAn0O_HXX_X5_an9jAfrrxvaBWja-eI2Oi5M8biVu6O37pjscAyv_5cSL_Mm76tTjT3IAriS3ISNbTueta5adC3mX5vLFNuvzBOyVS0C9LPZ9IcHk_ca0DkHJ-3jO7_a-11nbUmGqrGWHEUVtPHKlgp7aTrCagzREGAjzaB8FLt4vEeZ3a_YY_TrKZk0RxJTPdkjH6L_2D4rH-EUurKMFeK8L1dPuesAOHBqvusc_f9Rkl0YNZVtjl8jgk0CC9H_LLsOR9mjHFIUlHayTTfWZYj-YhTOn3RoWoK6lProQGrpz2EKIsczOrVCzINveUb32j6PtF3b6yOAu0iQUF1L3xlJgQs5LnP_hrplRdRziAbOyGgh7FjYQUg-niIkx7MH2_diux0LF83CuCI02VkO_odzMhB__id5IYbR115FNyk3DDdT6iFCKDaMbCxpEdvpiD0JGyc-Xb8chO0rmf-a8YrWiAe6fpDeCXInqu9ZJFv6QW8SVXnPxO29s5Ll4eNTahTd9ee2NUVDLMxMrAlgJWifheMMhmM2YqtQOQTlO5g7gglxm_futeJyevxNuhsdX0Ddc2F186k6BM=w406-h721-no

28k9JWe38cFrHbXYzg1f0LQcEexMZ7i1GbMbO82RHHrqrf8Wi1zpV2Ft9OLihH4I2rIWgCwvov4uQdHucybDb_3d7bK07FHROQm2e5pmXXWrc4Cy_gkiRvBt60nvzKr0HnQjnVm3eTEF29FfJpNH9M91uIeDUjyRSsdSPqlXAkb5zLokNCZlZ54cJjqQbKzArHQ-ccYu9a8_GllzGp6Gbq9_KXVMa7XuClwc-4Bq602wskJU4qRu4H9z8o-uWH3OgPsZ7IO-kyuaC_7-xNohlmnWszBCGKfTmySifrxga7NXp_8CM9y_Gc6qr2VqRizXWm65zO_-_g302uRygbJb0kT6zXlcBhmTtHkVbThZfz5XfdArwAr0p0wFPftzcIik8ey-w1WI7CHo_g6PaI4Sxl8wm4haJU9ePhxmbmya3ol6HRD0jRDAmdnbfV2k-yiBtNkYG6X3MsL4eAIJms-wbAhdxbEqEiggCAfkDumQXIwaPh18vscSu_kSMCIR3J0EZNKrU1cqaMWpv3zx2sVc33-vW-nRIe0-0E-U73FqKqXG4S6_m81Sr8xQ8_8vVGujZ6BxYtFHLW3_kfbopfSEzznT8U8dcdZO3nGSJLQPqdXqVyiPZYyXOdHUUySFkm2oX4EBvAaDSoyWpjbAVJyc_Dwpw7K27IF9EWOH=w406-h721-no

qtbZhtHSwGysikryU0MvyckQhtU2cGjePMrMLZAJGs8oEJb7xEYg-9hvZPmv6tfzTQ5J65nwn_obAkGM1KFMRHTeV3_GG0qGd-PERI2j29rvzQpdGl5MzCOquu_KzjLrNENFIUv2iAZhkaUS9COm2CcHxRSfCnNyZPjlLGxGdI6814DPLwoS4P54KdFIS4LUcnChoHCBPdrKpcpOZx7DPY8KNQmlJ69YiysQ1mVFYGOSS7tqs4Xs7qTAJk6aVMOQbqGQsHcjOmAFTvEKPnyFeGojVCq0xe0zRzyxy38CmuIS2wT69_jJdTqwvfpG2zDHMoSk_OJ6TpY_AkNGHpPcAFrOuoLyeqH2Y61zuRxTsRJ1qo7HQ70eEmT-tkjqnV0rnJI0Ej0b8nWStJm831LNv7zDYFTFXuBfAU3x9z9ljsk_mxUfiBLxFr5AnOyfIzaLxnvRloHV2GmgRKKPsbi5gargd6E9ZReim6ffjarvhYG8P156s0NGk2l7yXst_jAeeY6Q2VV0eQQsZX4RU6QDuWAHMaQkuzNX-Chd1TbCvUXi4L9AflzfQgcifDKGa1wBGyZRn-UwJfqm8rw-WQleUyFZmZhi-qozj_hX8-3bZHZCZtYeaC-4VjCre-BMX43Vmi6P17aZF_J2kFLlWHzwtDUvK0eE-H-xzhV0=w406-h721-no

Last edited:
I run just a standard Jetboil system, nothing special, and definitely not UL, but it’s worked very well for me for many years and nothing has ever failed with it. That being said, I may end up purchasing a Ruta Locura kit for it this winter, just to see what I may be missing. Here’s what mine weighs.
f753ee2af4f1f09752d39ac3d62963ba.jpg

Just a full canister, and this will last me at least 10 days (two hot meals/day and two hot drinks/day, coffee in the morning and a hot cocktail at night.)
7f0abb56545a447bd555d219b87697dd.jpg

And the actual weight when I head into the field.
f645f6f209d56b75ad8533003629501c.jpg
Ruta Locura makes a system that will work with a Jetboil and reduces the weight considerably.

Ruta Locura BRS-3000T Titanium Stove

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
Yep. You can get lighter. The BRS is crazy light. But I have a hard time putting faith in a China stove when that many meals and calories are riding on it working. But, the BRS has great reviews. The tree hugging through hikers really love the BRS. Those guys are even more ultralight than pack in hunters. Going to a ultralight Ti pot will drop weight too. I’m guessing you can easily drop 7-9oz in upgrading your cook kit.

I have the pocket rocket 2, and Evernew Ti Ultralight Deep Pot 600ml. Stove is 2.6oz, pot is 3.4oz, bic and matches 1.5oz, 4oz MSR fuel canister is 8oz (canister is 4oz with 4oz of fuel). It all fits in the pot with a mesh bag and it totals right at 1lbs. Add a spoon, and it’s 16.7oz by my scale.

duchntr

WKR
My evernew 1.3l pot is around 5 oz and the soto windmaster is around 3 add 1.5oz more for a full on windscreen (optional). I don't know if my setup is the lightest but its the best I've used and I am happy with it so Im trying anything new. For glamping I bring a big 1.9l non stick evernew pot for cooking up birds and fish, weighs under 9oz I believe.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I’ve been chasing the light weight cook kit the last few years. This year I left it at home. 32 nights in the field and I can’t say that I really missed it. But I don’t drink coffee and I know that’s a major crutch for some.

I’ve been chasing the light weight cook kit the last few years. This year I left it at home. 32 nights in the field and I can’t say that I really missed it. But I don’t drink coffee and I know that’s a major crutch for some.

So Ryan, how did you go about preparing your food? I could definitely go without coffee, not that big of a deal to me, but a hot Gatorade and bourbon sure is nice in the evenings, before bed.

Beendare

WKR
So Ryan, how did you go about preparing your food? I could definitely go without coffee, not that big of a deal to me, but a hot Gatorade and bourbon sure is nice in the evenings, before bed.

My buddy brought these little lemonade packs from Target [about the size of a Via] to Alaska and it was great with a little Knob Creek....

Clarktar

WKR

32 nights back packing in, or a mix of base camp (aka car camping) and spiking out? I pack very differently depending on the type of camp.

When camp is not on my back I pack Heavy ( camp chef two burner, propane etc..). When I'm backpacking it's a Soto windmaster and modified jetboil pot.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My buddy brought these little lemonade packs from Target [about the size of a Via] to Alaska and it was great with a little Knob Creek....

Yup, 120 proof Knob Creek, 750 ml’s is in my pack at the start of all my mountain hunts. A hot adult beverage and a good book is how I like to end the day.
ee24992b12208330832bbbe91dc8bcf4.jpg

colonel00

WKR
Yup, 120 proof Knob Creek, 750 ml’s is in my pack at the start of all my mountain hunts. A hot adult beverage and a good book is how I like to end the day.
ee24992b12208330832bbbe91dc8bcf4.jpg

Hardback? You're nuts :D

I do live to have a book though. Great for starting a stove too when you need. Just have to read faster than you need to burn.

Never tried whiskey and lemonade, much less hot. Are you kidding the lemonade with water then whiskey? What ratio?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Hardback? You're nuts :D

I do live to have a book though. Great for starting a stove too when you need. Just have to read faster than you need to burn.

Never tried whiskey and lemonade, much less hot. Are you kidding the lemonade with water then whiskey? What ratio?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I never claimed to be sane. But yeah, no joking here, you can see the Gatorade powder in a little baggie at the top of the picture. My only consideration when I mix my drinks is to try and make sure the bourbon last until the end of the hunt. This year it wasn’t a problem because I ended up getting into the field a few days late because of weather, so I only had to make the fifth last a week. Last year was a bit more of a problem because I was in the field for 10 days and almost half of that time I spent in the tent because of weather. Last year I ended up running out of both the bourbon and the book about three days before getting out. That last three days, in the tent was miserable, to say the least.

As far as the book goes, I always bring something related to flyfishing and it’s usually a paper back. This year the book I wanted to read was only out in hard cover.

Here’s a picture from last year.
aee96c615d1273532e29589b645dde9e.jpg