Dumb Question

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I see these (see pic) strapped to alot of folks backpacks.

Are these their sleeping pads, or glassing pads? Both? Curious that this person has 2 as well

I have a thermarest neoair xlite for sleeping, but am wondering if I should get one of these, whatever it is.

Please be kind, as I am (obviously) new to Western hunting and trying to figure the backpacking gear out
backpackquation.jpg

4ester

WKR
A lot of guys cut a section off their Z-Lite to make a pretty sweet Glassing pad. Keeps your butt out of the snow and warmer. Weighs next to nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnkid85

WKR
That is a thermarest zlight foam sleeping pad. Just a different style of sleeping pad compared to your inflatable. As mentioned some guys cut them up and use the smaller section to sit on.

AdamW

WKR
If already using a z-fold pad for sleeping, if you cut 2 pieces off the end you can use the short piece for a sit/kneeling/glassing pad during the day, then throw it under your feet at night making a full size pad again. Saves carrying an extra section of pad just for sitting. That might be what the person in the pic has done.

I made my own z-fold sit pad from a GI pad and duct tape. Got the idea from Terry Barney aka IAWoodsman

DIY Tri-Fold Multi-Use Mat - YouTube

OP
Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Thank you guys. I will definitely get one.

Already had thoughts of "what if" I get a puncture in the inflatable. Will be nice to have for a backup as well for glassing

mrgreen

WKR
I see these (see pic) strapped to alot of folks backpacks. .......

I have a thermarest neoair xlite for sleeping, but am wondering if I should get one of these, whatever it is.

Please be kind, as I am (obviously) new to Western hunting and trying to figure the backpacking gear out

mtnkid85's right it's a Thermarest ZLite pad (or parts of one). I suggest you stay with your noeair xlite pad for sleeping, but for sitting look at the Z Seat. Same concept, cheaper and only 2ozs.

I use my ZLite pad as a shooting mat/pad. No way I could sleep on that thing!

Z Seat

Owenst7

WKR
When I can afford the weight, I use a RidgeRest (the non-folding version of the z-lite pictured) as a glassing pad. I set my backpack on one end to use as a backrest, and leave the tail end rolled up and place the roll under my knees. Keeps me a lot warmer, keeps my feet from falling asleep, and it keeps my knees from aching. I usually use it under my inflatable sleeping pad for extra warmth and protection from the ground on those trips.

They are heavy and bulky though, and I only carry them when I can afford an extra pound for luxury. I'll probably cut one of mine in half eventually and use it as a torso pad/glassing pad. I found some $2 sit pads on Amazon that I've been wanting to test out first though. I use the full length pads frequently in my hammock in the summer, so I'd rather not cut them up.

The RidgeRests last longer than the ZLites, if that matters to you. The only real advantage the ZLite has is that it packs smaller.

They also make a pretty good mechanic's pad. I usually have one in the truck in case I have to change a ujoint or something out in the field.

strand

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a Z-lite pad as my sleeping pad on a few overnight trips and decided I'm not that hardcore. One night isn't bad, but on an extended trip I wouldn't get enough quality sleep. I always carry some type of butt pad though, every single time I'm in the field. Even if I'm just hiking without plans to sit down and glass, it's a few ounces worth carrying for me.

Sections of Z-lite pads weigh 1 ounce per section. I've used 2, 3, 4 and 5 section pads as glassing pads (prefer 4 or 5 sections in colder weather), as a pad in the vestibule of the pack tent to stand on when removing the boots, changing clothes, etc. They are well worth the few ounces of weight to pack, just for a glassing pad. As Stand posted above though, I don't find them very comfortable as a stand-alone sleeping pad! Good luck!

Dobermann

WKR
Looks like Ninja Turtle armor to me ...

On a serious note, I've known some folks to use both an inflatable pad and a closed-cell foam pad together. At the very least, if you use a small section, or get the dedicated Z-lite sitting pad, you can place this under your inflatable pad at the hipbone area for added comfort.

Carlin59

WKR
I take half of a cheap (~$15) closed cell pad with me on pretty much any hunt or scouting mission. It has a ton of uses/functionality for not much weight. Goes under the inflatable pad at night for extra hip comfort/pad protection/R value, nice place to stand on int the floor less shelter getting dressed in the morning, glassing pad during the day, and lay bit against a tree or bush for an afternoon nap. Have also used it to wrap up sheds/skulls when packing out. Definitely worth the low cost and weight penalty in my book.

Jon Boy

WKR
I use a 3/4 z rest for my glassing pad. Everyone seems to get real jealous come mid day when I bed down for a nap and use it haha

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk