Price vs Weight

JMarbs

FNG
I'm in the market for a new sleeping bag. I could get a good synthetic (MH Hyperlamina 15) or 650 fill down bag (MH Ratio 15) around $150 that meets my temp needs, weighs about 2lbs 9oz, and stuffs to about 12L. My other option is a 850 down quilt (EE Revelation) plus a hood for around $350, weighs 1lbs 7oz, and stuffs to about 6L.

The big question: Is 1 pound worth for $200?

ljalberta

WKR
Totally depends on the person and finances. For me though, it was the quality of sleep and the comfort of the quilt that truly makes it worth the money. I don't think you need the hood though if you have a touque/beanie(with me anyway when hunting). I used a quilt (10*) and touque and was comfortable down into the the mid 20s this past year.

Beendare

WKR
The big question: Is 1 pound worth for $200?

Well as you have realized, for a small weight improvement...the costs rise sometimes exponentially. No one can answer the question for you...but I can give you a tip;

Start scouring the online websites as these bags go on sale this time of year....great time to buy a sleeping bag. I bought both of my Montbell bags for 40% reg price right about this time of year.

FURMAN

WKR
Too me the weight alone is worth the money but then you add the space savings and I feel it is a no brainer. I will not be going back to a mummy and do not see myself considering a synthetic.

dotman

WKR
Some people will pay $100 per once of weight saved, gets expensive counting ounces, your situation is pretty cheap weight savings when you consider the price diff. I have an EE 0* and I really like it.

Would never go back to a mummy...

You can buy an ee quilt for less then 350$

Say it's even 200$$ difference, no downside to the switch and you lose a pound.

It's probably the he most important piece of kit you can get on a long hunt. Sleep is so important on grinding hunts. Hot nights to 15 degrees I'm good to go.

Rokwiia

WKR
Two recommendations about the EE Revelation:

1) Get it xwide and xlong. I don't care what your dimensions are.
2) Get the 0F bag.

I have a Revelation 10F xwide, xlong and love it. Got the xwide and xlong based on recommendations from others online. The extra size makes a huge difference especially when you turn over. I got the 10F but would recommend going to 0F. 3.5oz penalty over the 10F but a little extra insurance.

Jimss

WKR
On my first dall sheep hunt I weighed all the gear and clothes I planned on taking. Once I had all the weights I figured out which items would have the biggest weight loss if they were updated. On top of my list was backpack, spotting scope/tripod, and many of my cloths. Another consideration is bulk. I was traveling via air so the less weight plus less bulk the better. Obviously with excess baggage fees skyrocketing in recent years it was important to haul less weight and fewer bags. With that said, a down bag often weighs less but also is a lot less bulky than synthetic. The newer synthetics have come a long ways so they may or may not fit in the same sized stuff sacs at the same temp ratings?

a lot depends upon what style of hunting you plan on doing and where. Will you be flying or driving to your destination. Once there will you be backpack hunting from a base camp or true bivy hunting? If you need to go ultra-light/bulk it will likely be well worth paying extra.

Although I haven't tried a quilt it may work for early season hunts but I would be leery in situations where you'll be hunting higher elevations, Alaska, or Canada? For my particular comfort my preference is a colder rating bag. I can always open it up or sleep on top if it's warm but if it isn't warm enough I will be miserable! It's possible to wear more layers to bed but it all comes down to comfort. I use a 0 degree bag all summer and winter in Colo, Wyo, and Alaska...but that's me!

Owenst7

WKR
There's a lot of variables that go into being comfortable using a quilt, and it's pretty subjective to the user if they will be as comfortable as a mummy for that individual. I'd suggest some experimenting possibly truck camping with smaller blankets in your shelter or something before dropping a bunch of money. Figure out if it's your thing. I prefer quilts in mild weather, but I love the cozyness of a mummy when it gets near freezing.

I have heard from a ton of people that EEs ratings are optimistic, BTW. The weight difference for a 0° isn't that much. One of the guys I shared my tarp with on an elk hunt this year was using an EE 20° and he was cold with his clothes on and it was only about 30°. You really need to up the R value of your pad a ton and make sure there are no drafts in your shelter in my experience.

If you have any desire to use hammocks, you'll probably end up wanting a quilt eventually. Eventually I'd like a winter-oriented hammock setup and glassing with a quilt appeals a lot to me.

Beendare

WKR
FWIW,

I use my mummy bag as a quilt when its warm....when its cold....I zip it up.

Not exactly a PHD in outdoor science comment- grin, pretty obvious actually...but with so many folks purchasing quilts over bags then getting cold in rough weather....it might be worth mentioning.

muddydogs

WKR
I'll tell you that the older I get the more ounces matter and the less the price matters. It's your call on price over weight but an extra pound here and 6 ounces there starts to add up quick and once you set down and look at it all you realize that your carrying an extra 5 + pounds that you don't need to be carrying.

Trial153

WKR
i would trade 200 for a pound ...but not if i need to go to a quilt as they just dont work for me in the cold...i move around way to much.

colersu22

WKR
I got a 20 degree regular/wide EE quilt 2 years ago based off recommendations from this site. I am a side/stomach sleeper and that doesn't work well with a bag, I love it but if I was going to do it again I would get the 0 degree since they are easy to vent when it is warmer out. If it is in your budget I say go for the quilt but if the extra money makes it hard to pay bills and stuff I would go for the bag and save the money.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Absolutely. Once you start getting your gear really dialed you're lucky to drop an ounce per $100, so a pound is a steal. I use the revelation and love it.

Live2hunt custom shelters

I am eyeing a new bag or quilt right now myself.
Mine is a cheapo $60 bag that is almost 4 lbs ( 0 degree)
It has worked in 20 degree weather with no fire. So I am hesitating spending $600 on the WM Ponderosa bag I have been eyeing.
It would save me around 1 1/2 lbs or so, something like that.

But the quilt thing has me intrigued.

For me it has to save weight to be worth it.
The rest of my system is very refined, very weight wise and good quality.
My issues with switching to a new down bag are $$$, yet the luring reasons are weight .
My bag works and I haven't even pulled out the liner to increase its warmth. I am having a very hard time dropping $600 to save 1.5 lbs

That's why the quilt idea has me looking...

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
$200 for pound of weight savings is money WELL spent, IMO. I run with the 20 degree EE Enigma and it's pretty good. It's astonishing how warm it is weighing only 18.1 ounces. My only complaint is I have to sleep with my base layers on. Whatever material EE uses when it touches my skin makes me sweat like crazy and not because I'm overheating. It's really weird but thought I would fully disclose my experience.

Never fun spending $300 upfront but the quilt is something you will be able to use for a LONG time and a decision I don't think you would regret.

ohoopee

WKR
A friend just sent me a pic of a very nice hotel room in West Palm Beach. It made me calculate how many nights I will be staying in my EE top quilt, Hammockgear bottom quilt and new cuben fiber Winter Palace. I will have to up my 20 nights a year to about 30 to make me feel better!!