Lightweight Sleeping Bag & Pad

treillw

WKR
After my wife and I carried a combined 100 pounds of camping and fishing gear into a high mountain lake last year, I had the revelation that I need to invest in some lightweight camping gear. I think we will start with sleeping bags and pads. What would you guys recommend?

Temperatures should be above 30 degrees for the majority of what we plan on doing (3 season hiking/fishing trips in MT). It would also be nice to have the bag warmer and pack-able for winter hunting trips with sub zero temps. Is it an option to have one bag do both or is it better to go with two bags? I'd like to be somewhat frugal with purchases, but don't want to buy something sub-par and purchase again in the future.

As far as sleeping pads go, I want them to be lightweight, but don't want to sacrifice a good night's sleep for 7 ounces. I also don't think I want to carry an extra 2 pounds to get a good nights sleep though.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

I prefer a thick closed cell foam pad that I can accordion fold versus an inflatable pad. It is bulkier to carry, but i just lash it to the outside of the pack. You may prefer the inflatable though. With the closed cell foam you don't need to take the time to blow it up and then deflate it. It also can't spring a leak in the middle of the night.

As for one bag or two, I have really taken a liking to using reflective blankets as an overlayer on a sleeping bag to reflect the radiated heat back into my sleeping bag. Something like the reflective blankets or bivvies that Survive Outside Longer (SOL) makes are good options. Some Reflectix from Home Depot or Lowes can do the same thing; that's the stuff people use to make a pot cozy for rehydrating their food. It also makes a nice layer under your sleeping bag to reflect heat back up instead of letting it go into the ground. It can go a long way to boosting the thermal rating of a sleeping bag without adding much weight.

As for my sleeping bag, it is a Kifaru 20* Wide Slick bag with the center zip feature. I can use it as a sleeping bag or open it up and use it as a quilt/blanket.

Larry

AdamW

WKR
My combo for this season is an Enlightened Equipment 20 degree Apex quilt and a Klymit Static V Lite Insulated pad. Sleep gear is very personal as is a lot of gear.

I'd say your overall gear list is where we could cut 10+ lbs out really quick. Shelters/sleep systems are heavy, but taking stuff I don't need is where my weight comes in for the most part.

The key to a sleeping bag that you can use across a wider temp range is getting a bag with enough girth/volume that you can wear your warm insulated clothing in it in colder temperatures.

Many lightweight bags are cut too slim to comfortably accommodate wearing a puffy jacket while you sleep.

Get a down bag rated to about 20 degrees. If it's cut wide, you can wear a puffy jacket to bed in colder temps and it will keep you comfortable into the low teens (assuming the 20 degree rating is accurate.)

Something like this:

Puffin 20 Down Sleeping Bag Feathered Friends

Or, if you want something a bit warmer, and not much heavier, there's a good sale on this bag at REI right now. (Get the longer length for more girth.)

Marmot Never Summer Down Sleeping Bag at REI

Rokwiia

WKR
I'd consider getting a bag and a quilt. I'd get a 10-15F bag from WM or FF and a 20-25F quilt from Enlightened Equipment. You can combine the two to get below zero capability and then use the quilt only when in the 30F+ temperature range. I've read the following formula can be used to determine the rating of combining two bags although I'll take no responsibility for it:

x -(70 – y)/2 = z

x = first bag (higher rated/lower degree)
y = second bag (lower rated/higher degree)
z = rating of doubled bags

In my example above combining the 10F bag and 20F quilt should yield a -15F capability while a 15F and 25F bags should yield a -7F rating.

Sleeping bag ratings by manufacturers assume that you have a mat/pad that is thermoneutral at that temperature. So, if you want to be warm to 0F, you need to have a mat/pad rated to 0F. You need an R-value of ~5.1 for your mat/pad to be thermoneutral at 32F. That increases to a 7.5 R-value at 0F.

Some people will have a bag rated to 20F and be very cold when in 20F weather and blame the bag. That can happen as the night progresses and you have a pad with only a 2.0 R-value.

I'd strongly suggest looking at the Exped Downmat series. The Downmat XP 9 has an R-value of 8.0. I have it and will also pack in a ThermaRest Ridge Rest Solite pad beneath it which adds 2.8 of R-value.

http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats?f[0]=field_mat_line%3A1120

Last edited:
It would be best to have 2 different bags as a 30 degree bag is a lot lighter than a 0 or sub zero. But you can get a 10 or 15 degree, even a 20 if you aren't a cold sleeper, and add a liner for the cold trips, as the liner will add a lot of degree ratings to the bag.
I would also insist on an insulated air pad for colder trips below 0. You can have a great -10 bag, and if there is no insulation under you, you will be cold.

There are many great air pads today, just utilize a ground protection layer like Tyvek. Get an insulated pad with a R rating of 5-7 for the colder months.

I use a WM 15 degree bag year round. I pay a little penalty for the extra weight in Aug-Sept, but it is great to have Sept- Nov with the insulated pad.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
My combo for this season is an Enlightened Equipment 20 degree Apex quilt and a Klymit Static V Lite Insulated pad. Sleep gear is very personal as is a lot of gear.

I'd say your overall gear list is where we could cut 10+ lbs out really quick. Shelters/sleep systems are heavy, but taking stuff I don't need is where my weight comes in for the most part.

I run this same combo and its awesome.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Also Id say dont discount an Ultralight weight Bivy to go with whatever sleeping bag pad combo you pick. they can add 5-10 degrees to your system and they keep your bag from condensation and critters.

dylpkl

FNG
I've been getting into lightweight backpacking and really like this combo:

20deg Enlightened Equipment Revelation quilt (long/wide) - ~23oz
Thermarest Neoair Xlite long sleeping pad - 16oz - 3.2 R-value

I tend to toss around in my sleep a lot and find the quilt to be more comfortable and less restricting than a mummy bag. I went with long/wide because I am tall (6' 2") and wanted to be able to pull it up around my face and have enough on the sides to tuck under me to eliminate drafts. Plus I can use it as a blanket and/or stick my legs out if it is too hot. Also, much cheaper/lighter when compared to traditional down sleeping bags of same temp ratings.

The neoair sleeping pad is great and doesn't take too much effort to inflate. Crazy light and surprisingly comfortable with decent insulation. However, it has a slightly crunchy sound when changing sleeping positions, but not loud enough to wake you up.

Good gear isn't cheap... Buy once, cry once...

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I run a 10F western mountaineering versalite 2lb and xtherm long (the extra width is worth it) 20oz (could use the xlite if not thinking you will be in the cold a lot). That bag is roomy enough for me and I've legitimately slept in 10F comfortable in that 3lb 4oz combo. I picked up a MW lamina spark 34f bag which is similar weight to use in warmer temps to save wear/tear on the nicer versalite bag. I like to sit up in my bag in the tent if its really cold out and such so my preference is a full bag that holds my heat around me vs a quilt, just my preference.

jherald

WKR
I've settled on a Marmot Helium 15* f bag (22 ounces regular size) and Thermarest Xtherm pad (15 ounces regular size). I've used this combo on late September Chugach sheep hunts at elevation and November Kodiak Goat hunts. Sometimes I'll run that set-up with my Montbell UL Bivy (6 ounces) for an added layer of moisture protection from spin-drift or condensation.

I'm cheap. Don't laugh, but I have a 30 degree cabelas. Was like $100. Bought it on a whim with no research. Right at 2 lbs and packs small. Also picked up a Klymit Static V pad, 16 or 18 ounces, so for summer early fall I am just over 3.5 lbs and only out like $160.

If the weather is colder I just sleep in my clothes and I have a reflective emergency tarp i can throw over it, but it does hold in the moisture(keeps it out of the tent though)

Ideally I would like a nicer bag, but way too many other things to spend money on.... :)

epicaaron

Lil-Rokslider
+ 1 more for Enlightened equipment quilt and a static V pad. The static V pad is shockingly comfortable for how sparse it is. I have used both a 20 degree EE convert and EE quilt in 20 degree weather: the convert is warmer and I can use it with just a down hat, I had to put on puffy pants and a light down jacket in the quilt. You can get both EE quilts and kylmit pads through massdrop at a substantial discount if you are not in a hurry.

EE 0* quilt with EXPED UL 9LW pad...vent as needed. The only kit I pack anymore. The thick pad makes all the difference.

I have several, but the one I was talking about above is a EE regular/regular 850 Enigma. That set up is actually 28 oz., 20 oz. for the quilt and 8 oz. for the small pad.

Elkowalic

FNG
Thanks. Wow that’s light. How do you like the short pad? Is it bothersome having feet hang off?

I don’t mind the short pad but I’ve also never tried to use it in really cold conditions. I figure that if worst comes to worst, I can always put my empty pack, or whatever, under my legs to provide some insulation, although I’ve never had to do that either.
The last couple seasons I’ve been using a little lighter system, same pad but instead of the 10° quilt, I’ve been using a 14 oz. 35° quilt, and I wear my puffy clothes to bed if I need the additional insulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: