Tent packing...

huntcoop

WKR
How do you guys pack your tent and poles? Do you use the manufacturer supplied stuff sack or do you buy a different one? if so what size and brand are you liking? Same with poles, do you pack them in your pack or.........

Thanks in advance!

I usually ditch the stuff sack and use the ability of the tent to fill voids and spaces in my back by just stuffing it wherever it fits. I dont do this with all my items because that would be messy. But I do it with almost all of my tents and tarps. Its a tiny bit lighter without the stuff sack but allows you to pack more into a smaller pack.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I leave everything in the supplied bag and strap it to the bottom of my pack on the outside of the bag to leave more room in my pack bag.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We usually put our tents and stakes into silnylon dry bags. If you have to pack a shelter up wet, it keeps it from soaking everything else in your pack. Poles (if required, most of our floorless use a trekking pole as the center pole) packed separately wherever they fit. We usually use a 25L, which is total overkill most of the time. But makes it way easier to pack the shelter into, and then the bag is softer so it conforms to the rest of the stuff in your pack easier.

We got a bunch of OR drysacks cheap awhile back, but green was the only color available. Ended up just writing the name of the shelter on the outside in permanent marker so we know what’s what.

BCSteel

FNG
Tent, fly and ground sheet all go into a silnylon stuff sack. First in is the tent, then the ground sheet, then the fly. Stored fly down in the backpack so any moisture from rain doesn't get the tent wet. Fly on top of the stuff sack so if we have to set up in the rain the fly goes up first and the tent stays dry. Poles and stakes stay in the original pole bag.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I ditch all the sacks minus a Ziplock for the stakes and it then goes in the pack first and I just jam everything down on it.
It's been nice that I can pull the fly out the pack side zip and use it as a tarp to ride out a storm.

Kifaru 5 string compression sacks. Best way I have found to keep my tent compact and packable. Plus the Silnylon keeps the moisture contained if its a wet pack up. These sacks create a narrow, long, package that fits really nicely in a backpack. The medium fits my Hilleberg Soulo and poles perfectly. I pack my down quilt in a small 5 String.

JDZ

WKR
I ditch the oversized stuff sack that came with the tent. I use a little one for the stakes. If I'm not carrying my spotter, my tent goes in the spotting scope pocket of my pack. Otherwise it goes somewhere accessible, as it is the first thing I set up at the end of the day. Then I can unload my pack into my tent and not on the ground. I've also thought I could set it up quicker in a rain storm, although that hasn't really worked for me in practice.

xziang

WKR
I use the factory stuff sack. (MSR Hubba Hubba) however I remove the poles for they will go into a different spot in my pack. This way the tent will stuff much easier into your pack.