Lightweight Gear List

oenanthe

WKR
Suggest no more than 6 rounds of ammunition. (It's heavy, and if you can't hit and kill an animal with 6 rounds, you may want to reconsider the shots you're taking.)

Not to quibble too much :) but things can go wrong. In 2016 I did a solo sheep hunt (Alaska) and took 12 rounds. I'm not sure why I took 12, usually I just take 10. Anyway - somehow my scope got bumped on the flight in; I usually check by boresighting once I'm on the ground. Once I was sure there were no sheep near the airstrip I sighted in at 200 yards and it took me 4 rounds to get to where I felt I needed to be (within a few inches). So I started hunting with 8 rounds.

Some days later I ran into a grizzly sow with 2 yearling cubs. After some antics by the cubs that had me on high alert, Mom rounded up her charges and they headed off in orderly fashion. No shots fired, but believe me I was counting rounds!

A couple of days later it took me two shots to harvest a ram. This left me with 6 rounds for the walk out, wondering if I was going to run into those bears again. Which I didn't, fortunately.

All that to say it's worth considering 1) whether you might need to burn a few rounds to correct a bumped scope; and 2) whether you want a few extra rounds to deal with bears. Ammo for my 7mm-08 is right around 1 oz. per round.

OP
E

edwardshc

FNG
Overall, a great list.

A lightweight foil windscreen may actually save you weight in your cook set because you will use less fuel. Those ultralight stoves are highly effected by wind.

Suggest earplugs to protect your hearing.

Suggest bear spray for Montana backcountry

Suggest no more than 6 rounds of ammunition. (It's heavy, and if you can't hit and kill an animal with 6 rounds, you may want to reconsider the shots you're taking.)

A Granite Peak tripod is sufficient for a lightweight spotter. Half the weight of the Sirui.

Suggest several bic lighters. Don't weigh much, and it sucks to not have a way to make fire.

Montana requires hunter orange for your hat and on your torso.

Don't know if your Leki poles have a compatible handle, but if they do, the Aergon Photo Adapter is a nearly weightless accessory that makes mounting your binos on your trekking pole for stability very quick and easy. Binos on the Leki pole, and spotter on a lightweight tripod is my go-to spotting set up.

Suggest a pole jack for the Duomid.

I am jealous of your Garmin Mini inReach. I have the regular model. Can't justify the cost of the mini upgrade.

Suggest a couple of lens wipes for your optics

Suggest a muzzle condom for your rifle

Suggest lightweight exam gloves in your kill kit.

Wow! Love all your suggestions - particularly the Granite Peak Tripod and the Aergon Photo Adapter. I'm currently running a GoLite Hex Tipi, and the pole jack is clutch. Still need to buy the tent and pack above. I need to add everything you've listed above. Its amazing how you feel like you have a gear list, and then realize there is no hunter orange listed...

Tried out the Inreach Mini this AM while horseback riding - worked great. It has to bluetooth to my iPhone, but I love the earthmate app. Great weight savings since I'll have my iPhone anyways. I feel like every time I get online I find another new lighter weight product. This AM I saw a Twitter post from Germany where Thermarest is announcing a new "NeoAir Uberlite" that will be 250 g in regular length - likely will be released next year. Link below.

Twitter

Screen Shot 2018-06-16 at 5.46.49 PM.jpg

Awesome recommendations.

Last edited:
OP
E

edwardshc

FNG
Not to quibble too much :) but things can go wrong. In 2016 I did a solo sheep hunt (Alaska) and took 12 rounds. I'm not sure why I took 12, usually I just take 10. Anyway - somehow my scope got bumped on the flight in; I usually check by boresighting once I'm on the ground. Once I was sure there were no sheep near the airstrip I sighted in at 200 yards and it took me 4 rounds to get to where I felt I needed to be (within a few inches). So I started hunting with 8 rounds.

Some days later I ran into a grizzly sow with 2 yearling cubs. After some antics by the cubs that had me on high alert, Mom rounded up her charges and they headed off in orderly fashion. No shots fired, but believe me I was counting rounds!

A couple of days later it took me two shots to harvest a ram. This left me with 6 rounds for the walk out, wondering if I was going to run into those bears again. Which I didn't, fortunately.

All that to say it's worth considering 1) whether you might need to burn a few rounds to correct a bumped scope; and 2) whether you want a few extra rounds to deal with bears. Ammo for my 7mm-08 is right around 1 oz. per round.

I can totally relate. I was on a hog hunt a few years ago and my scope got bumped on the ride in. I couldn't hit a 5 gallon bucket at 50 yards... I'll always have extra ammo in the truck / gun case. Luckily I also had my old 30-30 with me too. Buck horn sights got me two hogs that weekend. Still debating on how many to take in my backpack though. Thanks!

OP
E

edwardshc

FNG
You can see an example of a SG Krux with "ho-made" packbag here: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/backpacks/72661-empty-pack-weight-3.html.

This was on the same hunt as ^^ one post up.

oenanthe,

WOW! You have my dream pack. It's a work of art. Is their a picture from the front too? You really need to create a thread on how you made that masterpiece! I have somehow missed it in previous posts. I was honestly thinking about getting a cuben/dynemma dry bag and trying to attach it to a stone glacier frame for personal gear, but your bag looks completely custom and amazing. I'm obsessed with the new lightweight materials. I've contemplated making my own dyneema dry bags, but never considered making a custom pack. Why x-pac instead of dyneema? You are an inspiration!

Mike7

WKR
Wow! Love all your suggestions - particularly the Granite Peak Tripod and the Aergon Photo Adapter. I'm currently running a GoLite Hex Tipi, and the pole jack is clutch. Still need to buy the tent and pack above. I need to add everything you've listed above. Its amazing how you feel like you have a gear list, and then realize there is no hunter orange listed...

Tried out the Inreach Mini this AM while horseback riding - worked great. It has to bluetooth to my iPhone, but I love the earthmate app. Great weight savings since I'll have my iPhone anyways. I feel like every time I get online I find another new lighter weight product. This AM I saw a Twitter post from Germany where Thermarest is announcing a new "NeoAir Uberlite" that will be 250 g in regular length - likely will be released next year. Link below.

Twitter

View attachment 73821

Awesome recommendations.

These work really well in the top of trekking pole handles for attaching cameras, etc. Also they weigh nothing and the trekking poles are still fully versatile as soon as you screw the camera off of the handle when you are done.

Amazon.com: Stainless T-Nuts, 1/4"-20 Inch, (25 Pack), Threaded Insert, Choose Size/Quantity, By Bolt Dropper, Pronged Tee Nut. (1/4"-20 x 7/16"): Home Improvement
Amazon.com: Stainless T-Nuts, 1/4"-20 Inch, (25 Pack), Threaded Insert, Choose Size/Quantity, By Bolt Dropper, Pronged Tee Nut. (1/4"-20 x 7/16"): Home Improvement

One thing you should understand with the Granite Peak Tripod, is that you give up some comfort and function to lose that weight. It won't be like a fully adjustable higher end tripod that you can set up around you at just about wherever you chose to sit on the side of a hill and that allows you to glass in the most comfortable position.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
edwardshc - I'm been messing with my stoveless menu on the last couple of hunts trying to lighten the weight while upping the calorie count. My last hunt was right around 2900 calories at 21.7 oz (133 cal/oz). But I felt like I had less energy so I need to keep experimenting. I'll for sure be incorporating some of this protein powder; great idea.

Also, I second the KDC Granite Peak Tripod. Mine only weighs something like 7.8 oz. It's especially great for throwing up a pair of binos on. The only caveat is since it is so lightweight a strong wind can really shake your setup making for difficult (to near) impossible glassing. Email Terry at KDC with any sizing questions. Great guy to work with!

Joe - I was looking at your stoveless food list. I was recently watching the new movie on the Journal of Mountain Hunting - "Toeing the Line" goat hunt (link below) and their camera man Steven Drake (he has a nice video blog on youtube) discussed how he didn't pack enough food for the mountains in the follow-up, but was happy the other guys had extra protein powder for their drinks to share with him. 24-30 grams of Protein and 124 calories makes a nice weight to calorie, but more importantly protein combination. I take my vacuum sealer and make little pouches and dump the protein powder into individual servings (don't vacuum just seal). Makes for an awesome boost on the trail. I just add it to my water in a little water bottle or gatorade bottle. At the top left corner of the picture below you can see my custom protein packet. You should consider adding Costco Whey Protein Powder to your list!

View attachment 73713

Films Archives - Journal of Mountain Hunting

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion your sleep system is not going to be warm enough. Maybe you've used that set up before and it's worked for you, but that's really pushing it even for an early season set up. I ran a 20 degree EE quilt last year with an exped hyperlight with a similar r-value. We had a few nights in the low twenties/ high teens in September and I almost packed up and left I was so cold. That was sleeping in my base layer, socks, and beanie. I even wore gloves and down jacket one night. This year I switched to a warmer quilt and pad.

oenanthe

WKR
Looking through my pics, it turns out I don't take very many good pictures of my pack.

Here's one (from the 1st day of the same trip), with the SG load cell packed with 18 days of food, most of my gear in the packbag, and the packraft on top. This unwieldy load was just to go a few hundred yards off the strip to a campsite; I repacked the next day to try and keep the weight a little closer to my back. Bonus pic of my bear acquaintances, right after Mom firmly said "You kids quit playing with that and get over here. NOW!"

SG.JPG

Bears.jpg

I'll dig out my camera and get some better pics of the pack ... stand by.

Last edited:

oenanthe

WKR
OK - here are some pics of my SG Krux. The sewing is pretty rough, but it looks OK from 10 feet away. :)

I sewed this bag 4 years ago and it has seen service on multiple sheep and caribou hunts. I wanted something simple, waterproof, durable, and light. The fabric is Xpac, about 4 osy. I think it is X21 (it lacks the inner taffeta). It is a straight-forward design, about 4000 ci, roll top. It uses tri-glides to attach to the webbing on the Krux frame; the straps then pass through to the ladder buckles. It has an angled bottom to keep it from catching too much on steep descents. I also made a slightly larger load shelf out of Dyneema gridstop; this also serves to protect the bottom of the pack from abrasion. It's pulled out of the way on some of the pics but you can see it well on the pic where the pack is upside-down.

P1050770.jpg
P1050771.jpg
P1050773.jpg
P1050774.jpg

Feel free to fire away with questions; and apologies for the thread hijack!

Last edited:

North61

Lil-Rokslider
Good list! If I don't know water sources in the area I take 3 L of water or 6.6 pounds. Also your rifle needs rounds, unless I missed that. I take 14 rounds. However I also take a son..and a daughter. Between us we have 1 rifle, one spotter, one tripod, one cook kit, one 3 pound tent. I get my boy to take most of the food.

Better than pack goats!

OP
E

edwardshc

FNG
In my opinion your sleep system is not going to be warm enough. Maybe you've used that set up before and it's worked for you, but that's really pushing it even for an early season set up. I ran a 20 degree EE quilt last year with an exped hyperlight with a similar r-value. We had a few nights in the low twenties/ high teens in September and I almost packed up and left I was so cold. That was sleeping in my base layer, socks, and beanie. I even wore gloves and down jacket one night. This year I switched to a warmer quilt and pad.

I actually have an EE -10F quilt on the way for colder days. The 20 degree I've only had out to about 15 degree F with good results. I'm a very warm sleeper though.

OP
E

edwardshc

FNG
Looking through my pics, it turns out I don't take very many good pictures of my pack.

Here's one (from the 1st day of the same trip), with the SG load cell packed with 18 days of food, most of my gear in the packbag, and the packraft on top. This unwieldy load was just to go a few hundred yards off the strip to a campsite; I repacked the next day to try and keep the weight a little closer to my back. Bonus pic of my bear acquaintances, right after Mom firmly said "You kids quit playing with that and get over here. NOW!"

View attachment 73847

View attachment 73848

I'll dig out my camera and get some better pics of the pack ... stand by.

Oenanthe,

I can't see your pictures! I get a "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" error message!

OP
E

edwardshc

FNG
Good list! If I don't know water sources in the area I take 3 L of water or 6.6 pounds. Also your rifle needs rounds, unless I missed that. I take 14 rounds. However I also take a son..and a daughter. Between us we have 1 rifle, one spotter, one tripod, one cook kit, one 3 pound tent. I get my boy to take most of the food.

Better than pack goats!

Kids are too small, but I've tried to talk my wife into being my pack mule - so far she hasn't fallen for it. She loves to camp, but not yet ready to backpack hunt. Eventually I'll talk her into it.

ixia

FNG
Lighter Pack is a fantastic tool, thanks a lot for that tip. I went ahead and put all of my gear into it, minus game bags and a contractor bag. I figured it would be helpful to compare to what I consider to be my bare essentials for late September in Colorado (obviously not an exact comparison).
https://lighterpack.com/r/20tskn
I probably should have neglected to add the prices in there, I might have a difficult time sleeping tonight.
I have cut about 20 pounds off my pack since the first time I went backpack hunting, mostly by getting rid of things that were nice but not necessary. I am particularly pleased with my recent organization for misc stuff and sleep/shelter. A neat idea I tried out with success last year was using a steel water bottle to boil water in. It is a nice bottle to use for water, and I can omit a cooking pot. I am no expert here, but most of this is what I took last year without issues. I dehydrate my own meals, and I expect that will put the pack weight up to around 30 pounds for 7 days.

possibles.jpg
possibles-exploded.jpg
sleep.jpg
sleep-exploded.jpg
bag.jpg

It all fits quite nicely into my pack. One side of the bag is clothes, one side is gear. I hope you can get some ideas from this list, or at least have an interesting comparison.

Last edited:
Wanted different opinions on a gear list that I've been developing. My buddy and I are going on a guided horseback elk hunt in Montana Bob Marshall this October, but we are inspired by the multiple stories on this site to go on a DIY backpack hunt possibly next year. Trying to put together a list.

https://lighterpack.com/r/crm1cb

I own most of the items on the list except for the tent and backpack.

My background: Longtime lightweight backpacker (Kingdom of Bhutan, New York, Tennessee, New Mexico, WV, OH, CO, etc), and a longtime midwest whitetail hunter. Wanting to combine backpacking and hunting in the near future.

Thanks!

Man, I don’t know about this. I haven’t gone through it thoroughly yet, but right off the bat I see Talley LW’s at 0.2 oz. (mine weigh over 13x more than that at 2.65 oz.), and 3.7 lbs for food and water. Is this for a day hike? I carry more than 3.7 lbs in water wt. alone on my day hikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ixia

FNG
Man, I don’t know about this. I haven’t gone through it thoroughly yet, but right off the bat I see Talley LW’s at 0.2 oz. (mine weigh over 13x more than that at 2.65 oz.), and 3.7 lbs for food and water. Is this for a day hike? I carry more than 3.7 lbs in water wt. alone on my day hikes.

I don't know about the rings, but the food he has listed is per day

OP
E

edwardshc

FNG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK Troutbum - Thanks for the catch on the weight of the rings - definitely my mistake - will fix. I'm sure there are other typing errors to catch in the list - like my error of completely leaving out blaze orange. I need to update the list with all the good comments / suggestions above.

Typically I put the weight of 1 liter of water and 1 day of food into the website. Then when you go on an actual trip the website lighterpack.com lets you add the "quantity." So my last trip in South Dakota I carried 3 liters (water was everywhere though) and 3 days of food. The website lighterpack.com also separates out "consumables" because that number will be different for each trip. You can use the same list, but change the consumables for your next hunt!

OP
E

edwardshc

FNG
Lighter Pack is a fantastic tool, thanks a lot for that tip. I went ahead and put all of my gear into it, minus game bags and a contractor bag. I figured it would be helpful to compare to what I consider to be my bare essentials for late September in Colorado (obviously not an exact comparison).
https://lighterpack.com/r/20tskn
I probably should have neglected to add the prices in there, I might have a difficult time sleeping tonight.
I have cut about 20 pounds off my pack since the first time I went backpack hunting, mostly by getting rid of things that were nice but not necessary. I am particularly pleased with my recent organization for misc stuff and sleep/shelter. A neat idea I tried out with success last year was using a steel water bottle to boil water in. It is a nice bottle to use for water, and I can omit a cooking pot. I am no expert here, but most of this is what I took last year without issues. I dehydrate my own meals, and I expect that will put the pack weight up to around 30 pounds for 7 days.

View attachment 74170
View attachment 74171
View attachment 74172
View attachment 74173
View attachment 74174

It all fits quite nicely into my pack. One side of the bag is clothes, one side is gear. I hope you can get some ideas from this list, or at least have an interesting comparison.

ixia - awesome list and awesome base weight!