Not Easy being a Father's Son

JasonWi

WKR
Great story and I commend you for your honesty on your shortcummings. Your story touched very close to my heart. I've got two boys 17 and 16 and I'm trying my best to be a better father than I had yet raise respectfull/ trustworthy men. It's a fine line between treating them like one of your friends and not being too protective.

Jason

Great story I'm with Brock one of the better ones I've seen on Rokslide ever.

It's funny how life works... I got into some trouble with the law when I was 18 and while it sucked for awhile it was needed to happen to light a fire under my ass and get me out of my hometown for a bit and go to college. I'm sure that year was all in Gods best interest for both of you even if it did cause some trouble with his record. Good on you!

Mike

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
One thing I have learned over my life is that PRIDE, can be a barrier to a healthy relationship. With one exception, I have never spoke with someone that after the loss of an estranged love one, that did not wish they had reconciled before they passed. Regardless of who was right or wrong (if there is such a thing) one party or the other has to reach out.

Life is short, mend fences, live and love...

I stumbled onto this article.. Some good advice, I would replace a few with take them Hunting and Fishing...

http://www.danoah.com/2012/08/28-rules-for-fathers-of-sons.html

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
Wishing I wasn't at work so I could give my boys a squeeze. This thread seems to have caused a problem with my iPad - the screen was hard to read for a minute....

tttoadman

WKR
I was reading this like a book you can't put down. It was like reading about the crazy life between me and my dad. Fight every day at work because we worked together, and then laughing over a sandwich during a November elk hunt. My thoughts are leaning toward my own boys of 17 and 19. What a great story, and great pics.

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
UN real story man. Thank you so much for taking the time. Your son is very lucky to have a father like you, and the opposite is true I think

Lorne

Best 'hunting' thread i've read in a long time. Having a 7 month old boy at home, i got a lot out of this. Thanks.

Rabbit Ranger

Lil-Rokslider
Moving story without a doubt... "Father" is the most powerful word in the world, whether positive or negative; what a joy to see you turn it to such a positive relationship.

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
The Ram Zach and I got a few years ago is nearing completion and Mr Jesse sent me a few photos as the work as progressed, as a want-a-be taxidermist myself, I love seeing the mount come together.

This Ram mount, is far more than just a head on the wall, it is a tangible reminder of that incredible time that he and I shared. I hope that his work and Lady will allow for him to once again take to the high places with old Dad, but if not this year will always be special in his old man's heart.

Thanks Mr Jesse for all your hard work and effort, I can't wait to see him finished and at home on the wall.

1095089_10151566697211586_1435382085_n_zps09e9fdcb.jpg

1012432_10151566697126586_846992582_n_zps5ca1879e.jpg

1453555_10151783954656586_978466486_n_zpse4bd4b26.jpg

1468586_10151784163906586_1567137254_n_zps1d5096da.jpg

Steve

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hands down my favorite thread on here by far! This got added to a Facebook post digging up the best threads and I'm sure glad it did or I might have missed it. Perhaps being a new father has made me a bit more of a softy for these kinds of stories but I have to admit this made me a little misty. I do my best to be a huge part of my son's life but this really gave me pause to think "can I do more"? Thank you for sharing.

Strong is the man that endures life’s trials and tribulations….for it is these trials and tribulations that make us take inventory and prioritize what is important in life and make us a better person. Take time to make memories with your kids and grandkids for it is one thing you will regret in life if you don’t. We only have a given number of sunrises, make the most of them.

Steve, you are a STRONG MAN!
God Bless!

elkmtngear

Lil-Rokslider
Amazing story!

I'm so happy your Son has found his way, and it seems you have made unbreakable bonds with him through your adventures together.

You have my utmost respect, Sir!

amp713

WKR
Amazing story.... I had missed it originally... Brings up alot of thoughts about my life, one day i hope i have an experience like this.