Not Easy being a Father's Son

Just caught this thread for the first time. Thank you for sharing it! Wonderful write-up! Couldn't help but get a little misty eyed as I put this in perspective of how I want my relationship to be with my own boys. I will keep this in mind as my eldest is entering his teenage years and we sometimes butt heads as he is trying to find his way.

This is the best thread I've read on any hunting forum so far! My hats off to you, pride is a hard pill to swallow. Your sons a lucky young man. Your a lucky Dad. I commend him on doing what it takes to fight his way back to getting things right. That's not a very easy task when your down.
I've been lucky to hunt Dalls in AK DIY with next of kin (where we took a sheep and grizzly) and was lucky to make the trip up the Koyukuk for moose also!
So, this story was really a great story that I could relate to in more ways than one!

paddlehead

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like a great time. Hopefully I am living in AK by the time my son is old enough to hunt so I can do things like that with him.

spdcrazy

Lil-Rokslider
not going to lie, i first skimmed through and checked out yours pictures. caught a caption or two, and usually thats it. However the emotions i saw and read in the couple of captions grabbed me, and for once, i backed up and read it cover to cover. So glad i did. Good on you for helping your son out. and its hugely motivational reading things like this for me. While I do not personally know what its like to have problems with family relating to the law, I work in a police station and see people come and go all the time. All to often i shake my head at a "kids" choices that landed him in jail. I always wonder if someone will take them under their wing and help guide them. You are the answer to that question. Thank you!

Mr Stid2677, I've read this thread at least a dozen times and, as addicting as rokslide is, your story is what really enamoured me to this site. People like you are few and far between, and your gifts for photography and written word are truly a pleasure. So as I sit waiting for my daughters anesthesia to wear off and test results (nothing life threatening) in a far from home place your thread has once again put a smile in my heart remembering good things are not to be taken for granted. Thank you for sharing and being a class act to emulate.

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Mr Stid2677, I've read this thread at least a dozen times and, as addicting as rokslide is, your story is what really enamoured me to this site. People like you are few and far between, and your gifts for photography and written word are truly a pleasure. So as I sit waiting for my daughters anesthesia to wear off and test results (nothing life threatening) in a far from home place your thread has once again put a smile in my heart remembering good things are not to be taken for granted. Thank you for sharing and being a class act to emulate.

Sir, Hold those you love close, this life is oh so fleeting and they are grown before we know it. Wish your daughter a speedy recovery.

Zach is doing wonderful, bought a new car this summer and just rented the home next to mine and has a wonderful woman in his life. We are truly blessed and I thank the lord for opening our eyes and hearts.

Zach and I plan to hunt sheep next fall, I'm already eager with excitement to possibly help him find his first ram.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sir, Hold those you love close, this life is oh so fleeting and they are grown before we know it. Wish your daughter a speedy recovery.

Zach is doing wonderful, bought a new car this summer and just rented the home next to mine and has a wonderful woman in his life. We are truly blessed and I thank the lord for opening our eyes and hearts.

Zach and I plan to hunt sheep next fall, I'm already eager with excitement to possibly help him find his first ram.
That's really cool Steve. I'm very happy your son is on the up swing. You really are an inspiration to me.

trk3263

WKR
This is a great story and a reminder we all need to hear often. I hope you shared this story with your son so he always knows what that year meant to you.

Liv2Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Just saw this thread for the first time! What an awesome story! As a father of 3 I completely understand where you are coming from. Glad to hear Zach is doing well! Here is to many more memories!

If I reach anyone with this thread, I ask only one thing. Fathers, hug your Sons and Daughters, Sons and Daughters hug your Dad. If you no longer speak, make a call, somebody has to take the first step.....

Life is far too short to not realize how important family is, cherish those you love.

Steve[/QUOTE]
wonderful stuff. this has been my game plan for a long time now and so far so good. If i can just get them through college!
I always tell em ,tell the people you love ,you love em all the time ,cause when the ride is over,it's over.
By the way ,i'm gonna go out and loose my license tonight! Can I come stay with you?

Awesome reconnecting.