Not Easy being a Father's Son

Stid2677

WKR
This story started with a phone call from my Son Zach,, “Dad, I’m in jail”, not what a father wants to hear. Long story short, unpaid tickets led to his license being suspended and one night he tried to run from the cops to avoid another driving while suspended and ended up in jail for 6 months for evading arrest. He serves six months and gets all his fines taken care of.

Now, he has a year driving suspension, hard to keep a job when you can’t get there. I ask him to come and stay with me and help me out until he got his license back.

For over 20 years I mentored and reformed dozens of young men and women, why could I not do the same for my own Son? It seemed like the harder I tried the more he would do the opposite. We had an Orange County Choppers JR/Senior type relationship. Add to this, him being a teenager and me deploying all over the world or getting ready to deploy again, we just stopping communicating.

When Zach got here it was dark and cold, moving to Alaska in December is a shock for a southern boy I’m sure. Zach was at an all time low when he got here. I decided that I was going to do everything possible to help him get back on track and to make the best of the year. My wife was deployed, so it would be Zach and I for a year.

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!!!

We got out and chased the northern lights...

IMGP3927.jpg

IMGP4053.jpg

IMGP4052.jpg

Played in the snow.

IMGP2708.jpg

IMGP2573-1.jpg

We tried ice fishing, but did not do too well.

IMGP2783.jpg

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
We traveled the Taylor Hwy,, the excuse was to look for a bear, but we were happy to be out after a long winter.

IMGP3122.jpg

IMGP3032.jpg

IMGP3019.jpg

As June neared it was time for my annual pilgrimage to PWS. Not sure if I like PWS better or the sheep mountains, both are slices of heaven.

Zach proved to be quite the angler.

IMGP3272.jpg

IMGP3294.jpg

IMGP3288.jpg

Got his first bear.

IMGP5521.jpg

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
By now the summer was almost gone. We did make a trip to the Russian River and Homer, but we could not catch even a single fish. I had spent enough time with Zach to know that he had what it takes to try a sheep hunt. But I could also tell that he was more into fishing than hunting. I told him that I take sheep hunting serious and he was welcome to come if he wanted, but I also told him that it was going to be hard, uncomfortable and once there we were there to stay. He said he was in, but would rather just help me than to hunt himself.

I have never been more out of shape for a sheep hunt than I was this year. Only decided to go for sure a couple weeks before the opener. But, one thing I have learned hunting with younger hunters and that is they make me hunt harder. Even when I can't take another step, I will keep going just to try to prove that I'm not getting old I guess.

We loaded up and headed north, 70 North was great as always and we cooked them up a few deer burgers before we headed off into the hills.

P8050039.jpg

P8050041.jpg

Got camp setup and Zach did some glassing.

P8050063.jpg

Love the Zach filter,, sure made water making easy for me anyway.

P8060064.jpg

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
We enjoyed being together in the mountains and had a look around.

P8060071.jpg

P8060073.jpg

The extra room in the Sawtooth was nice on our snow day.

P8070083.jpg

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
We had a few bears around camp.

P8070094.jpg

P8080147.jpg

P8080152.jpg

P8080155.jpg

P8080165.jpg

We had a look around. There were some really nice Caribou bulls in the area and we practiced stalking up on them. It was good practice and they were much lighter to pack out since we never actually shot one of them.

P8070135.jpg

Our only spat was over water crossings.

P8070138.jpg

We saw a few, but tomorrow we spike out further.

P8070110.jpg

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Time to spike, we hike a couple days until we spot WHITE.

P8080177.jpg

That is what we are looking for.

P8080207.jpg

Time to rest and enjoy the show.

P8080215.jpg

A room with a view.

P8090225.jpg

The next few day are the stuff sheep dreams are made from. Perfect weather, rams to watch and great company to share it all with. I was able to watch the rams from our spike camp and pattern their movements and routes. Zach and I chatted about this and that and I would like to think he may have picked up a trick or two from ole Dad.

So, as the evening of the opener approached. I watched the rams, 4 total with only one legal. My style is what has been called the Joe Want method, spot and approach them from below. Where these rams were there was no way to get to them from below. I was apprehensive about trying to get above them and have the weather come in and it get too dark to shoot after the season opened. This might be a Tony Russ, get them from above type hunt.

So,, how to close that last few hundred yards.. We tried to get across from them and the closest we could get was 700 yards.

We are 700 yards across valley from them and it is 9pm. What to do?? I really want to wait until tomorrow and be in place to ambush them moving to the feeding area like they have done the last 3 days. I can see the excitement in Zach's eyes and I know he wants us to go after him.

The wind is right, the sky is clear and the rams have bedded down. I told him I think we can get up and on top of them before it gets dark. We made our move..

11:30pm finds us topping out. Have a peek over and ..... NOTHING, get my land marks and figure they are a couple hundred yards down the ridge and under a rise. We work our way around a big rock and look over and there they are!!!

All 4 bedded and looking out, get the Swaro on them and find the shooter, I had already memorized every stain on him so I knew him by his color before I even looked at his horns.

I settled back behind the ridge and put on my jacket to stay warm and to just enjoy the experience. For me it is a powerfully spiritual feeling to be in a position in which you can take an animal and have them totally unaware of your presence. Long time to think about pulling that trigger. The 20 or so minutes were gone in a blink of the eye.

After waiting a few extra minutes to make sure it has well into the 10th, I took one last look in the spotting scope and looked at all 4 rams and made sure I had selected the correct ram. I tilted the spotting scope down and rested my 30-06 Model 70 onto the tiled scope and adjusted the dial on my CDS to 140 yards. Asked Zach if he was ready to video and and I fired. He tried to get up, but only rolled a few feet down hill from his bed. His buddies took off and we headed down to see him after a big hug and possibly wet eyes for me.

P8100286.jpg

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Zach, did well breaking him down. We both used our white suits to keep blood off us.

Zach packed it all but the horns, making it easy for ole Pops.

P8100310.jpg

Nice to be able to move into the floor-less shelter when it started raining and still work on my cape.

P8100333.jpg

Time for meat and fire!!!

P8100347.jpg

With our sheep tag notched, and our bellies full of fresh meat, it was time to work our way back to the air strip.

P8110372.jpg

P8110391.jpg

On our 2nd day hiking back we meet another hunter heading in the way we just came from. I'm sure he was disappointed to see us. He told us that he had run a a bear out of our camp. I shared with him where he might find a ram and we all headed down the drainage.

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
30 minutes from camp and we can see that at least the tent is still standing. At this point I have 2 black big toenails and feel like I went to a gang fight and my gang did not show up. That last mile is sooooooo long. I just want to be off my feet and have a rest.

P8110403.jpg

I only had time to hang the meat, when I spotted a bear across the river. At this point the last thing I want to do is fool with a bear. I tell Zach if he stays on the other side of the river I would let him be.

I could see he was an old bear and as soon as he got wind of that sheep, he came right at us with his nose in the wind.

P8080146.jpg

I did not want to shoot anything at that very moment and was only wanting a hot drink and meal... A close look through my binos and I could see that he was big and old.

I have never had any trouble with bears around freeze dried food, however game meat is another matter. I was way too tired and sore to fight this bear all night for that sheep meat.

I told Zach, "if he comes down to cross the river I'm going to take him".

I got down into a shooting position and waited to see what choice the old boy would make. As fate would have it he came right to us with his nose in our wind, so he knew we were there and pushed on anyway. I ranged him at 186 yards and waited for him to turn broadside, I did now want him to get in the water.

As he turned and gave me a quartering shot I fired the old 06, I could hear the 180 grain Accubond strike the mighty bear and see him knocked down. In a flash he was back on his feet and we could hear him roar as he spun around snapping at the spot the bullet had hit. We could hear the snapping over the river. I fired another shot and he fell over on his back.

I can still see the strength and furry he released in his last moments in my minds eye. I could see his muscles ripple as he swatted at what had stung him.

Took as a few minutes to get across the river and approach him. We were both apprehensive, as we neared especially after seeing the size of this brute. Was clear to see that he was an old guy. Blind in one eye, worn out teeth, grey hair and fairly thin for this late.

P8110404.jpg

P8110419.jpg

Few photos and and we spread him out, so that we could skin him first thing in the morning. Made sure to pose him before rigor set in.

That 180 grain Accubond sure did some damage.

P8120440.jpg

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Worked on the hide.

IMGP0489.jpg

P8130505.jpg

Zach played with rocks.

P8130507.jpg

Time to roll.

P8130528.jpg

We made it home safe. Got the animals all sealed and processed. Zach's suspension was over and we spent some time writing back and worth getting all that stuff worked out. Thought we had it all fixed and went to DMV for the 3 hour wait, only to be sent home with more info and more needed paperwork. Nothing else we can do but wait. Time to get the boat ready for our run to the Koyukuk.

Loaded up and ready to go.

P9010017_zps83acdc35.jpg

Had to stop at the new sign.

IMGP7194_zpsc14f3df2.jpg

P9010020_zps206d6273.jpg

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
It sure is hard being a good Dad, especially when you have to learn how on your own. My own father must be from the future,, because we just can't seem to occupy the same time and space. Other than giving me life, he has never been around. Having grown up without a Dad and dirt poor, to me providing for my family seemed to be the most important, in hind sight, what he really needed was my time and attention. Pride and puberty are hard things to deal with and when emotions run high, easy for things to explode.

Not easy being a fathers Son. Not easy being a Dad and balancing being a teacher without being overbearing. He tells me to treat him like any other guy I hunt with. He won't understand that it is not possible to do until he has kids, a parent will always worry about their kids.

I will always have that extra jacket, hat, candy bar etc... in my pack just in case he needs it. I will always have a concern for his well being when he is not in my sight. I will always ask him to be careful, step back from the ledge, don't cross there.. Dads and Moms know what I mean.

Our 2nd day on the river, the rain finally stopped and we awoke to sunshine.

P9020027_zps8bf2e813.jpg

Electronics made navigating less stressful.

P9020030_zpsaa5afef3.jpg

Had to stop at Tanana to see the sights, they are famous there you know!!! All the Yukon men must have been out hunting, because all we saw in the village was Yukon Women.

P9020035_zps61cb6745.jpg

WOW, they got a new booze store!!

P9020037_zpsfa1fd577.jpg

We stopped by the Nowinta for some fishing, but it was slow. Built a fire and had some hotdogs and cold beer.

P9020038_zpsdeaaa6b3.jpg

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Sure was nice having the chainsaw, I bought a capstan winch and we used the saw motor to cut some firewood.

P9030044_zps1a92fbed.jpg

Got camp setup and got dinner cooking, some taters in the fire.

P9040051_zps6f894ec0.jpg

P9040056_zps357604fa.jpg

Zach had made some gumbo before we came...yum!!

P9050071_zpsd9680d43.jpg

Camp

P9060082_zps609c0990.jpg

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
We ate good, enjoy a cold beer around the fire and just spent time together. Zach's Mother is Japanese, so I tease him about looking like my native guide. It was too funny to see the other hunters asking him for directions while he sat at the boat in Galena, he just shrugged shoulders and said darned if I know. LOL

P9080123_zpsd1415b6b.jpg

P9080129_zps436fcfc0.jpg

P9080138_zps2c5385ee.jpg

What a beautiful place!!!

P9080143_zpsaaf7d8f4.jpg

P9090150_zps579b8d85.jpg

P9100193_zpsc12c6f4a.jpg

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
My plan was to use the prop driven Wolly to get use into the hunting area and then to hunt from the Jet Ranger. The water in 3 day was at flood stage and the entire slough could be run with a prop and all the trash made using the jet tough.

P9080108_zpsce636f91.jpg

The high water made for hard hunting conditions. We did see a few nice bulls, but I was looking for a big one.

We let this one have a pass.

P9060097_zps84b7e7f0.jpg

[youtube]QKMY07DMesg[/youtube]

I didn't tell Zach, but I could start to feel that old familiar feeling sneaking up on me. I had a feeling I would be getting sick in the coming days. Sometimes I can sense it coming on. I knew Zach was thinking about getting his license back and looking for work, so I decided that we would head on back. This trip was more about the journey than the destination. So, we ate a few more good meals and bid the Koyukuk country farewell.

Sheep helper ROCKS!!!

P9070103_zpsae9f9945.jpg

Breakfast
P9070102_zpsd965a089.jpg

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
We got on step at the mouth of lower 3 day slough. We put her in the wind and made a quick stop at the check station and was able to sneak through the shallow side of the mouth of the Koyukuk and Yukon and got to Galena around 4pm. No fuel on the river this year as Jake was not selling any, so we got gas at the place near the boat ramp.

A couple local guys helped us haul fuel cans up and back. While they ask for whiskey, I hope the full fuel tanks on their wheelers helped them get meat in their freezers instead. Nice, respectful men and we thank them for their help.

With enough fuel to get to the bridge, we headed upriver hoping to get to the Nowitna before dark.

We pulled into shore as the sun was setting. Chainsawed up some driftwood and warmed up while grilling some brats.

P9100172_zpse838b89b.jpg

There is a cemetery along the way that is way out on its own. Zach and I took the time to stop and say a prayer for those that came before us.

IMGP7156_zps01a588fe.jpg

IMGP7155_zps67f16bf9.jpg

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
The one time Zach had to PUSH was when we zigged when we should have zagged. Saw the bottom coming up fast and pulled off just in time to bounce to a stop,, just past Ruby. There was a boat that had been following us for hours and he just sat back and circled. Zach pushed us back into deeper water and I found the channel and we went on our way. Never did see that other boat again.

With the exception of some heavy fog the rest of the run was flat calm and everything that is fall on the Yukon.

The Haul road had finally dried up and we had an easy run into town.

On the drive home I thought about how I had started out looking at this year as a "Do Over" for Zach, but it had turned out to be a Do Over for old Dad.

There is an old saying "that the sins of the father are revisited on the son". I find this to be true, but I know I can break that cycle. Sure we are still going to have those father/son moments. I just do my best not to get sucked into the argument.

There is a part in a movie called "The Help" in which a young girls care giver looks into the child's eyes and says "you are smart, you are pretty, etc.."
Score points with the ladies and watch it. But anyway, the thing is when he gets mad at me for being fatherly, I look at him and smile and say " you are smart, you are handsome, I'm proud of you" hard for him to be mad after that. LOL

We got home and jumped through some more hoops and Zach was able to get his drivers license back. He went the next day and interviewed at a temp agency in Fairbanks and has been working everyday since we got home. I'm so proud of the man he has become.

If I reach anyone with this thread, I ask only one thing. Fathers, hug your Sons and Daughters, Sons and Daughters hug your Dad. If you no longer speak, make a call, somebody has to take the first step.....

This all happened last year..

Zach is doing great, I could not be more proud. I did miss him dearly and thought of him often during hunting season, he was unable to get anytime off. He is working at Fort Knox and has fallen in love with an amazing woman. I don't know if we will ever get to spend another year like this one, but I thank the Lord for bringing us back together.

Life is far too short to not realize how important family is, cherish those you love.

Steve

Last edited:

ssliger

WKR
What an amazing story. My son is only 6, but I would love to have a year like yours with him in the future.