Starting a kid in trapping

Ruskin

WKR
My 8 year old son wants to start trapping. Can anyone recommend a good trap for a beginner? We would be targeting squirrels and / rabbits.

-thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slow

FNG
Have you considered rabbit boxes? It's something you and him could build together. They're easy to build, inexpensive, and effective. And, no concerns catching the neighbor's dog or cat.

Whereabouts in Atlanta are you? I was born at Dekalb General. Related to half the state though lots has changed. Career choice lead me away.

Go Dawgs!

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
I have to agree with what slow said. Rabbit boxes are an excellent way to get kids started in trapping without worrying about catching non target animals. They are very effective and easy for kids to set and reset. That's how I got started trapping as well.

hodgeman

WKR
Squirrel sets are super easy.... put up a running pole ( a 1x2 lath is ideal) between two trees with a 110 Conibear in the middle...super easy. Too high for dogs and cats won't cross a 1/2" wide pole. It's hell on squirrels too...they can't stand to not run across it. You can bait it with peanut butter but sometimes they just run right across.

OP
Ruskin

Ruskin

WKR
thanks for all the ideas guys. My sons has caught 3 squirrels this week. I ended up getting him a small live trap. So he catches and releases. It's been tons of fun for him and he's learning a lot about squirrel habits. I'll probably step him up after a while to some of the other ideas you guys posted.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When i taught Arctic Survival at the local university, the most exciting part was teaching new students to snare rabbit and catch squirrels.

We tried making boxes for rabbits but with zero success. We were always strapped for time with overnighters, so we taught the students how rabbit runs are interwoven. Once they began to understand the animal and how a rabbit moves around its habitat, they began more strategically placing 25G steel wire snares and actually caught rabbits.

I know the dog and cat thing is important, so location is also critical. But my rule of thumb with catchin rabbit is to set a dozen snares for one rabbit...that would be a lot of box traps if you really want the kids to be successfull quickly.

VernAK

WKR
For squirrels, I use the board rat traps that are available in all hardware stores. Nail it to a tree up high enough so dogs aren't in it. Bait with pnut butter.

Like Larry says....snares work well for rabbits and hares. I use that braided picture hanging wire.