washington whitetail for kids

my kids first year hunting rifle for deer, i tried to get some tags drawn but we struck out, have general season wahington deer tags for my 12,14 year olds
live on west side, but want to hunt east side for whitetails,
i do not know the east side at all,
any help on a unit or any information would be appreciated

thank you

its harder to get permission for rifle, If it were me I would have them use a cross bow and then you wouldn't have any trouble getting permission around spokane. If you want to hunt public land its tough as there is a ton of pressure during rifle season. I haven't done rifle in a long time so maybe its changed... If you decide to do the cross bow route then I could point you in some directions to ask for permission...

Try and get permission in the Twisp/Winthrop country on some of the farms... the answer is usually no, but some guys like giving kids a shot.

OP
wasatchcomm
they have general tags so I'm not sure on regulations yet for northern/eastern units for whitetails
i haven't really looked into it much yet, i did here that north of wenatche is a good areas for whitetails and its any buck from what i was told or 3pt or better for mule deer, i would prefer they shoot a couple whitetail bucks or does if the unit allows it.

they have general tags so I'm not sure on regulations yet for northern/eastern units for whitetails
i haven't really looked into it much yet, i did here that north of wenatche is a good areas for whitetails and its any buck from what i was told or 3pt or better for mule deer, i would prefer they shoot a couple whitetail bucks or does if the unit allows it.
I've seen a fair bit of whitetails above Mazama as well. Goat creek has some public land up there. Mostly mulies in the hills, but there are deer in there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
my kids first year hunting rifle for deer, i tried to get some tags drawn but we struck out, have general season wahington deer tags for my 12,14 year olds
live on west side, but want to hunt east side for whitetails,
i do not know the east side at all,
any help on a unit or any information would be appreciated

thank you

Nothing too special in the regs for over here, and most units have an option for antlerless for youth hunters with no special tag requirement. Most of that is during the early season. Wolves have hurt the population and you will do better for the kids sticking to lower elevations, farms, etc.

OP
wasatchcomm
thanks for the tips fellas, i heard that crawfish lake is a good place to camp and hunt around??? i think it is just east of mazama

i put my kids in for everything this year, all the special hunts, second deer hunts antler less hunts, and didn't draw a thing, i was shocked.
last year i took them to montana and bought two doe wt tags, that was their first experience watching the harvest, both were excited to help skin and cut up both animals. they love to eat wild game, so we for sure have two future sportsman in the making.
i take them on my archery elk hunts too, but very limited. they love it.

MtnMuley

WKR
Crawfish Lake is located a good hour and a half plus from Mazama and half surrounded by Tribal Reservation which is off limits. The Rez line actually cuts through the lake. The majotity area torched last year in the big blaze. Personally, I'd head over to the northeast with the kids tags. Much easier to fill over there for youth.

OP
wasatchcomm
where about in the north east? unit i should look closely at? I'm unfamiliar with that part of washington, only lived here since 2006 and spend most my time in SW

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
where about in the north east? unit i should look closely at? I'm unfamiliar with that part of washington, only lived here since 2006 and spend most my time in SW

Have not seen much in our scouting...wolves are bad up here. Maybe call the Spokane WDFW Office and see what they have in the way of farmers looking for hunters. The closer you are to town the better. Might also see about Davenport area.

OP
wasatchcomm
ok

i think i am going to hunt down by walla walla, looks like 145,149 area has some good access with the free to hunt program the wdfw has on the website.

should make it fun with open terrain to keep the kids looking for the deer