Daughters first Deer

so proud of this lady.
she worked very hard for this deer,
here is how it went
three trips to idaho total for this deer(and mine, first trip)
first trip she passed up a few small bucks, spikes and 2 pts, and does, she said she wanted to shoot a nice buck, no does!
second trip a little of the same, we had a run in with a 10pt that we were within 120yds, but we were hunting such steep country, she couldn't get comfortable for a shot, and it got dark on us
woke up next morning to go back after him and found him, but he had found us first and blew out of their.
she said lets keep climbing, so we did, (salmon river country) no snow this year had the deer mostly up high still, so we gained a bunch of elevation and started seeing more does, little bucks, she kept climbing, we got to a great spot overlooking a nice bowl and canyon. we sat down and glassed up a giant whitetail, he was about 1000yds away and moving into timber pocket, no go for him, we had to get home for work week.
last trip
last full day, we are driving up road to a spot to park and walk up the mountain, she sees a deer down low, we glass it, its a buck a little buck but not that little, she likes it...
we drive up road get out and stalk up on the deer, i get her to 120yds, she is laying down, bipod, 243 Abolt, she has the deer in sight but their is brush between us not giving her a clean shot.
we wait and he turns away and is feeding away over the roll of the draw, no shot,
she says the kid is this way, lets back away climb up above him, he is focused on everything below him.
ok, lets go, we climb up a few hundred yards, i peak up through the brush and he has us pegged, we sit still for about 5 minutes, and he goes back to feeding.
we back out a little further, he is climbing up as well now.
we back away, and start climbing, we climb way above him, 300 yds, and start to move over to his plain, he is still feeding, we use the brush and steep ground and folds in the hill to get to 128yds
we get set up and she gets on him, and then he beds.
we wait on him a few minutes, my daughter can really shoot, she is deadly with this gun
she says she will shoot him in the neck, and i caution her its a long shot for that shot.
she says i can do it, i caution her again, he is bedded, we have the wind, we can get closer if that is the shot you want.
she says get him up, throw a rock
i throw about 20 rocks and he only looks over never a care at all.
well we move closer, i get her to about 70yds
she says i can shoot him in the neck, i said lets get him up and get a lung shot on him.
i throw a rock
he gets up and stands perfectly broadside for her
i am super jacked up at this moment, i say, their is your shot, take him, take him, take him
well i freaked her out and she shoots and completely misses him, she starts to cry, i said reload, its ok, i need to get myself under control... he jumped and ran down the hill about 40yds, he is looking around but clueless.
she gets another shell in, get her setup on a different spot, she finds him, she says i got him, I'm very calm now, i tell her to go through her shot, i hear her talking to herself, then i hear ok i got him, with a very confident voice, i look over at her and i hear her say her 3,2,1 pull,pull,pull BOOM! I'm on the deer and she nails him, he jumps up and is dead in the air, lands and rolls about 10yds into some brush and rock and doesn't move. She did it.
kids are amazing, i totally made her miss that first shot.
im so proud of her, she was so excited, she took off toward the deer, i was trying to keep up with her.
she was so proud, hunting can instill such self esteem and confidence in children.
best hunt I've ever been on....

Attachments

• IMG_3258.jpg
    IMG_3258.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3217.jpg
    IMG_3217.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 121

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome could feel the excitement from just your write-up must have really been something in the moment. Can't wait to take my daughter

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
Thanks for taking us along.

Just have to be excited watching the next generation love what we love.

Lurjukka

Banned
I think this is the correct education of my child, who disciplines. My congratulations. I started to teach my son fishing at 10, and now he is 20 and he loves fishing