Passing on the tradition

I recently quit my lucrative defense contracting job and took something close to home and it is already paying off. After years of busted plans for family outings I am finally out in the field and my oldest son connected on his firs game animal last weekend.

We spent some good time at the range earlier this month getting his 7-08 dialed in and he convinced me he was ready to go. We hit the woods with a good friend of mine and started glassing for a spring bear. Luck was in our favor and we caught one crossing a snow slide on a nearby mountainside. We managed to slip to within 175 yards but the wind was going to give us away if we pushed much closer. The kid was confident that he could make the shot and it proved true as he center punched the 6'9" boar with a 139grain GMX. The kid was dead calm.... Well at least till I told him that he had nailed it! Then the excitement flooded over him.

To top the experience off the bear piled up in a creek to make recovery extra challenging.

ymy5eda9.jpg

edahavu4.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
That is just too cool!!! Congrats again to you both!! Can't wait to see the skull in person!! Stud of a boar for sure!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
So excited for you and for D! He made a great shot on an awesome bear! I look forward to hearing him tell the story in person sometime soon!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
That is Awesome! There's nothing better for hunting then starting them young! Nice work.

wileybrew

FNG
This is great to see. Great job and congrats to your son on the begining of great up coming hunting stories.