Going Against the Grain

As we all very much aware of, and struggle with every day, Trophy hunting is controversial topic. We have all probably seen the recent articles in BC with the banning of trophy Grizzly bear hunting. Hunters are losing out to miss conceived perspectives and an overwhelming ignorance by the general populous. We are particularly losing touch with the youth in America. Social media and new media can easily brainwash today's youth and not allow them draw their one inference as to what trophy hunting is and the pros and cons associated with it. My girlfriend has a very bright and talented seventeen year old daughter. She has lived her whole life in California around the Los Angeles area. She never been involved with hunting, been around hunting, and the only real experience in the woods to speak of has been RV camping. She has always gone to a public school. The only interaction she has had with a hunter is just through conversations with me and seeing pictures of my hunting adventures. She was very much a non-hunter, and I'm sure questioned whether hunting was right or wrong. She has always been full of questions and curious as to what exactly I do and what hunting is. She recently asked me a string of questions in regards to conservation and trophy hunting. She was very much interested in the topic and decided to go out and do her own research and draw her own conclusion on trophy hunting. As many of us parents know right now, kids are in the process of completing their finals, and for her English final, on her own doing, decided to write an essay on trophy hunting. Keep in mind she is a non- hunter living in a prominently non-hunting state. Below is what she wrote. I am so very proud of her for doing her research and really weighing the pros and cons of trophy hunting and what it really means. As a parent, and as many parents on here would probably agree, the goal we have for our children is not that they grow up just wanting to shoot shit and kills stuff, but for them to walk out of the woods with an understanding and respect for conservation and hunting. Thank you all for taking the time to read this, and I hope it helps inspire all hunters to continue to be the voice for hunting and conservation.View attachment Trophy Hunting.pdf

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Very encouraging to read that young lady’s conclusion to her research. I wonder what she’d think of you weren’t in her life?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Bear.Parker
Very encouraging to read that young lady’s conclusion to her research. I wonder what she’d think of you weren’t in her life?

I asked her and she said that she would honestly still have the same outlook on hunting like a majority of the people around her. She would still think that most hunters just kill animals, take a couple photos, and chop the head off and leave the rest. It’s promising to see there is still hope out there

Riplip

WKR
Very cool thanks for sharing. Even more important than her conclusion is that she is being taught to think for herself and to keep an open mind and perspective on ideas that she may not understand and to educate herself rather than listening to other people and/or the media. Good on your girlfriend and/or whoever is raising her seems like they are doing a great job.