.010 vs .019 and 3rd Axis

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
I just wanted to get other's perspective on if you feel like you are more dialed in using .010 or .019 pins...and how important is 3rd axis to you? Back in the tournament days, I always shot a .010 in a slider/scope, but always hunted with fixed pins at .019. With that said, I just ordered a MBG 3 pin slider with all .010 and no 3rd axis. This will be the first slider I've shot with all little pins. I feel like, personally, I'll be more dialed in with this set up, but wanted the Slide's thoughts on this as well.

I'm shooting 3 pin slider with .010 this year and love it so far. It's amazing how bright they are. I don't have a reason to go back. And as far as 3rd axis, it'll definitely show up if it's not on at longer distance up and downhill. But if your just hunting out of a treestand 30 yd and in and shooting longer distances on flat ground I doubt you'll ever know.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

I shoot 5 pin BG sliders, 019, 019, 019, 010, 010. You are going to lose .010 faster that .019 (especially red) in low light conditions, and I dont see much of an accuracy advantage between .019 and .010 inside 40. I likely wont take a 50+ yard shot in low light, and I do see much better accuracy at 50+ with the .010 pins. A lot of it is your eyes. BG pins are brighter than most so that will help the .010s somewhat.

That said, I dont think Id shoot a slider without 3rd axis, unless the sight just happens to be dead on without it. Id agree that inside 30 youd probably be ok, but out of a treestand at 20 ft....that down angle can be pretty steep. Archery is a good deal of confidence in equipment, and knowing your sight is dialed at every axis cant hurt. The ML3 base and the BG dovetail both have 3rd axis, Id consider switching to 1 of them. Worst case you can buy one later and switch it out if you are having issues with angle shots.

Zac

WKR
I didn't know MBG even offered a sight without 3rd axis. Anyway why in the world would you not want an adjustable 3rd axis?

OP
J

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate those thoughts and input. As far as wanting or not wanting 3rd goes...I guess I've never given it much thought or had a known issue without having it. It's kinda one of those "if you don't know, you don't know" deals.

grfox92

WKR
Depends on your eyes. I used to shoot .010 and preferred it. Now I can't see them at all. So I shoot .019s

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Tilzbow

WKR
I liked the 5th pin on my slider being .010 for several years but now that I’m in my late 50’s it’s not that great and the next sight I buy will have all .019 pins. As far as the 3rd axis, I’ve had one out of adjustment and was hitting 8” to 10” left at 60 yards while shooting downhill and right while shooting uphill on a 25 degree hill so I think it’s important for hunters who hunt mountains. I’m fortunate to live on the edge of town and I have a steep 1,600 foot tall open desert hill that starts 50 yards from my garage to practice on. To adjust 3rd I use known perfectly vertical exterior garage wall and the vertical wire on my Spot Hogg to adjust and check 3rd axis which doesn’t take long at all and produces excellent results for me. Get to full draw close to the wall, aim up and down at a steep angle while aligning the wire to the wall then adjust until the bubble is centered, check by shooting and it’s done. A line off a plumb bob will work too or you can get one of the fancy tools but I prefer to check at full draw when there’s my natural shooting torque being induced by me.

87TT

WKR
Can't see the .010 pins anymore in low light and sometimes in good light. Don't have any red either. 3rd axis on all three sights though.

MattB

WKR
my eyes like the .019 better than .010 and I would not buy a sight without 3rd axis adjustment. Shimming is a PITA.

Reactions: Zac

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I started archery with .029" pins and shot really well at long range and short range. Then I tried .010's and didn't shoot as well. Then it got to be a problem seeing them in lower light. Got rid of them and went to .019's because I use 7 pin sights. But this year I put my 5-pin sight with .029's on my bow and they work great at least to 60 yards for hunting or 3D. I have 3rd axis adjustment on all my sights (Spot Hoggs), and yes it does make a difference if you're going to be shooting on anything other than perfectly flat leveled ground.

Zac

WKR
I liked the 5th pin on my slider being .010 for several years but now that I’m in my late 50’s it’s not that great and the next sight I buy will have all .019 pins. As far as the 3rd axis, I’ve had one out of adjustment and was hitting 8” to 10” left at 60 yards while shooting downhill and right while shooting uphill on a 25 degree hill so I think it’s important for hunters who hunt mountains. I’m fortunate to live on the edge of town and I have a steep 1,600 foot tall open desert hill that starts 50 yards from my garage to practice on. To adjust 3rd I use known perfectly vertical exterior garage wall and the vertical wire on my Spot Hogg to adjust and check 3rd axis which doesn’t take long at all and produces excellent results for me. Get to full draw close to the wall, aim up and down at a steep angle while aligning the wire to the wall then adjust until the bubble is centered, check by shooting and it’s done. A line off a plumb bob will work too or you can get one of the fancy tools but I prefer to check at full draw when there’s my natural shooting torque being induced by me.
I'm pretty sure you can't use the bubble in the scope. You would need one on a flat part of your riser, or on your vertical slider bar for that to work.

I'm pretty sure you can't use the bubble in the scope. You would need one on a flat part of your riser, or on your vertical slider bar for that to work.

What he is doing is aligning the vertical wire with the plumb line, then checking the bubble. Adjusting until the bubble reads true.

It's same thing the hamkea tool does with its vertical rod.

That's how SH use to tell you to set 3rd axis.

All of this is just to get you close, should set it by shooting and checking, tho all these methods seem to work very well and get you pretty close to spot on.

Original question, yes, you want 3rd axis in my opinion. If you want to shoot 45 yards with any kind of angle it can matter. Risers flex and can act weird at full draw and you need to be able to account for that. Other ways to do it, but 3rd axis adjustment makes it easy.

Pin size is a personal thing, I have been gravitating towards bigger pins. A brighter pin so I can stare at the spot I want to hit, not wonder wth the pin is. A light can help that too, but I don't use one most of the time, and not legal for hunting a lot of places. .19 pins on my hunting bows usually anymore.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer .010" for shooting target and 3d, but prefer .019" for a hunting setup. Many do .019 pins for their fixed pins and then a .010" for the mover, great combo also.
Over the years either me or my elk hunting buddy have confirmed many times that a .019" pin will give you about 8-10 more minutes in low light than a .010" will. Combine that with a decent sized peep and you can definitely gain several more minutes of ethical shooting time in the morning/evening.
As far as 3rd axis, I sure prefer to be able to adjust it. But it is not something that can't be considered and compensated for with a sight that doesn't have it. For years my buddies and I shot 3d with sights that had no 3rd axis adjustment. We just learned that on very steep uphill or downhill shots, or not that steep of an angle but a longer distance shot, then there was a need to hold a bit left or right. Just practice some steep angle shots and see where you're hitting.

ndfb35

FNG
I shoot my 3 pin mountain lite with the top pin .019 and the two other pins at .010. 3rd axis does make a difference and it's not difficult to adjust and get it set properly.

OP
J

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate everyone's input. I'm going to set this sight up and try it. If it's not right, I'll do the upgrade. Thanks!