12 x 50 Binos — Too Much?

Considering a set of 12 x 50 binos? For a while, I was stuck on 10 x 42 or 10 x 50.

Anyone have experience with binos this size? Are they too bulky to hike around in a bino chest harness?

Thanks,

—WBC

Idaboy

WKR
I guess it depends on
1- what are you hunting and will optics increase your odds of success
2- hunting style (long periods of glassing vs occasional use)
3- do you also carry a spotter vs do you need the high mag bino to help you find game

Aside from above, some of this is personal preference (like boots, some like light and fast, others like heavy soles)...I don't like heavier stuff around my neck and have paired down the size of my chest rig in recent yrs, and so running a compact 10x42 set.

I primarily hunt W MT and travel to more open country depending on what we draw. For me… my go-to that I always pack are 10x42s. Then 15x56s on a tripod.
If you are primarily an open country guy, I could understand going with the 12s.
I pack my 15s in a Kuiu harness at times. Usually when I’m done hunting and guiding for the wife/kids. They’re not bad.
That said, the bulk and utility of these bino harnesses are in the eye of the beholder. Some are so gaudy, I think some guys have an adapter on their harness where they mount a car door onto it. That way, when they get hot, they can roll the window down.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say it depends on your intended usage. If you are a Coues deer hunter specifically then 12s might make sense. I believe a 10x42 or even 8 x 42 are better all around binos.

And yes they will be fairly bulky-compared to 10 or 8 power binos.

I personally prefer 12s, I sold the spotter as I rarely used it. I could see the 15s in backpack 10s on chest deal but I don’t want to carry that much glass. Found 12s to be a happy medium. Felt like I pick up a few more animals and better as judging just slightly over 10s. Really depends on your country.

OP
WookieBowcaster
Good responses. Thanks.

To add some context —

I primarly hunt in the east (whitetails and turkeys.) In which case my small 8 x 32 work just fine for my big woods landscape.

That said, I am doing an antelope hunt this fall. So I am looking to upgrade. My instinct was to go with 10 x 42. But now I am overthinking it (as I tend to do.)

FWIW, I will also be borrowing a spotting scope to bring with me.

My gut says I will use the 10 x 42s back east. But if I go too big (12 x 50) then they may not see the light of day when I'm not hunting in the west.

If you are borrowing a spotter the 10x42’s should pair well. Most 10x42’s also fit the small size when it comes to bino harnesses (marsupial as my reference) which stays out of the way while when wearing.

wapitibob

WKR
I've been using 12x50 for a decade, no issues but I'm not in the East. Primary use is spotting arrows in tournaments so 100 yards and less, rifle hunts in WY, and rarely use binos for bowhunting anymore.

I’ve found that acuity and FOV loss mitigate the 4X upgrade if you are handholding 12x’s from a tree stand. So if these are your go to binos for home, you may want to borrow a pair to play with prior to purchase

I don’t think just because they are 12x they will be bigger. It’s more about the objective. My 10x42 EL’s looked same size as my brothers 8.5x42 EL’s.

So if you were looking at 10x50’s, 12x50’s of the same model are probably same size.

I definitely like 12x binos out west. On a deer hunt I was using 12’s and my brother had his 8.5’s. I probably spotted 2 thirds of the deer and could judge them way easier.

But I don’t think it matters much for antelope. They are pretty easy to spot and in the open. 8’s, 10’s, or 12’s would all work fine.

Good responses. Thanks.

To add some context —

I primarly hunt in the east (whitetails and turkeys.) In which case my small 8 x 32 work just fine for my big woods landscape.

That said, I am doing an antelope hunt this fall. So I am looking to upgrade. My instinct was to go with 10 x 42. But now I am overthinking it (as I tend to do.)

FWIW, I will also be borrowing a spotting scope to bring with me.

My gut says I will use the 10 x 42s back east. But if I go too big (12 x 50) then they may not see the light of day when I'm not hunting in the west.
I live in the northeast and hunt deer and turkey from New York to Kansas annually.

My 8x32 els are fantastic in the early fall and late spring timber.

As the leaves fall and early spring before Greenup I like my 10x42 els. The extra reach they have over the 8x32s is minimal but I like them. Both of these fit in my marsupial size small chest rig. Neither are noticeable to me as far as bulk or weight.

I have a set of 12x50 els that fits in a marsupial medium chest rig. They are not unmanageable on the chest but the added size and weight is noticeable. These are used only on a tripod or window mount for scouting or serious long range game finding. Of the 3 binos these stand alone in pure game finding prowess. I am amazed every year at the distances I routinely turn up game with these. However I do not timber or treestand hunt with them.

For serious long range work I use my kowa 664 twin set up. I usually chest carry 8s or 10s with these.

I feel the 12x50 would compliment but not replace your 8x32 timber hunting glass. The combination of both should cover your stated hunting needs

Understand to get the most from any binocular especially alpha glass your tripod and head are very important to maximize your glassing experience.

Last edited: