2007 Chevy Silverado Won't Turn Over

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Check your grounds. One way to test this, jumper from your negative terminal to the frame with a cable. Mine went on the fritz, that seemed like a common-ish issue for the 2014.
What does this do? How exactly do I do it? Run the jumper cable and then try to start it?

Thanks!

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I believe the starter is actually controlled by the computer on Chevy's; no direct link to the ignition switch. Could definitely be the culprit if you determine the starter is good.
Starter is good

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I'm nt sure if that year had a chip in the key or, my daughter had a similar problem, thy were trying to find the problem. their friend who is a auto mech and said , try your husband key, sure enough it started, and has started every time since. It's her car, so he really doesn't need his key.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
I think you're on the right track. Any guidance how I go about doing some of the things you mentioned? Where do I find that connector end view chart, for instance. Thanks!
I had the benefit with my FIL having access to the GM service accout. i'd google for connector endviews for your truck. do you have a car code reader? when my ground went bad the code reader would not work, might be a quick check for you.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I had the benefit with my FIL having access to the GM service accout. i'd google for connector endviews for your truck. do you have a car code reader? when my ground went bad the code reader would not work, might be a quick check for you.
No, I don't have a code reader. I will try that to see what comes up. Thanks.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
If it's the same as mine, there is a ground on the back passenger side of the engine. this is the main ground for the computer/ ecm. see if that is still intact. by jumping the negative to frame it won't show because it is the ground wire directly to the ecm.

gixxerbob

FNG
my transmission didnt think i was in park and it kept me from starting the truck. 2003 1500hd

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
If it's the same as mine, there is a ground on the back passenger side of the engine. this is the main ground for the computer/ ecm. see if that is still intact. by jumping the negative to frame it won't show because it is the ground wire directly to the ecm.
I will look at this one. Thank you.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
my transmission didnt think i was in park and it kept me from starting the truck. 2003 1500hd
What tells it that it is in park? The way the dash isn't fully lighting leads me to believe that it's something beyond not knowing that it's in park. Wouldn't you think?

Thanks for the idea.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m thinking a damaged wire possibly rodent chewed something. Does it start when in neutral?

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Watch this video. It may be helpful.

There may be a fuse in positive battery cable that could have blown

Well mine doesn't have a pinched cable there - at least I can freely move it back and forth.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Finally got the truck up and running. I broke down and took it somewhere - it was a good move, as I don't think I would have figured it out on my own without some serious legwork.

Turns out the the Body Control Module was bad. Never heard of it. A real mechanic was able to figure it out in a couple hours.

Hopefully this thread helps out somebody in the future. Thank you all for your help.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I had mine replace a few years back. I went to start it, nothing at all, battery was only a few weeks old, but I checked it anyway. Next step was call for tow truck. It was in my driveway, and shop was close by. I got a call a while later and gave okay to replace module. A few hundred $$$ I was back on the road. New vehicles with all their electronic piss me off.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I had mine replace a few years back. I went to start it, nothing at all, battery was only a few weeks old, but I checked it anyway. Next step was call for tow truck. It was in my driveway, and shop was close by. I got a call a while later and gave okay to replace module. A few hundred $$$ I was back on the road. New vehicles with all their electronic piss me off.
Was yours a Chevy as well? The guy at the shop said this is the most common repair they do on Chevy trucks.

A friend in a different state told me that he only remembers replacing one in all his years of owning a garage🤷

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Was yours a Chevy as well? The guy at the shop said this is the most common repair they do on Chevy trucks.

A friend in a different state told me that he only remembers replacing one in all his years of owning a garage🤷
GMC 2004, I still have it. 151,000 miles.