2019 CO First Muley!

Rich M

WKR
So, here comes this FL guy with his dear old dad and a buddy from NY.

We hit the plains and I wasn't prepared for the cold, the wind, or the FLAT landscape. Yes - we hunted gullies, canyons, drainage features, etc. Had some excellent help from a fellow named Tim and his dad, and a farmer who lived local. Not afraid to ask for help and how to do stuff.

1026190901.jpg

First ask had me on some does while waiting for the local buck to show. He was a no-show cause 3 does walked up on me and about stole a snack out of my pocket. The blowing doe messed the rest of the evening up but was cool to see. NY buddy saw 3 WT does and a jumbo half-rack WT buck he wished he could have shot in another area.

Day or so later, saw 8-9 does and a pretty 2x2 on a small chunk of public from truck - had the discussion about what if this is all we see and decided to pass based on the legality of shooting from the road.

Climbed canyons, scoured bottoms, crossed draws and saw a lot of beautiful country, some coyotes, quail, turkey, bighorn sheep, pheasants, eagles/hawks/owls, ducks, geese, sandhill cranes, and more. Also endured the frigid cold with several days in the mid to low 20s and even a day in the teens with 20 mph winds, nights were comfortable in wall tent with heater if temp was over say 10, the negative temp night was too cold and we took our octogenarian into town for a heated hotel stay after that.
1030190705.jpg

Kept covering land and not seeing much, finally stopped in for gas and sugar, started talking with 2 guys at a table and one starts telling us the finer points of finding mule deer around there. He said to get out of the low country and go to the flat and brushy country. Then he said that we could shoot deer off one of his fields.

That evening found us on public somewhere near his field (they all look alike) - I saw 5 about 800 yds out heading towards NY buddy who had stopped counting at 20 which included 4x4 and 3x3 bucks of "shooter" size.

Got 2-4 inches of snow that night and split up - I just "had" to hunt a certain canyon/draw area and figured the snow would help (didn't - not a single deer track). He went and got a flat trying to get to the public we were at the night before. Convened back at camp and headed out for evening hunt on that public.
1030191618.jpg

Had doe/fawn/small 2x2 in our pocket, doe was 20 yds and sm buck at 40. Decided to pass on him, just cause.

Next day covered more miles and hit some river bottom areas, back to gas station - ask local lady there about farmer's field. She explains, we show photo - she says yes. It was the field adjacent to the public where we saw all the deer!

We got there at 4 - walked to chosen spots and wave to verify our locations. Sit down and there are 6 deer 600 yards out from me with more coming from further across a dirt rd. Can see an antlered buck in the mix and it didn't click that I was seeing antlers at 600 yards. 20 some odd deer in that group/area. Truck comes down road and stops - deer move 200 yards closer, now at 400. Truck leaves, deer now decide to leave field and buck stops at 215 yards.

Instinctively did a high shoulder shot and he shudders and starts peg legging it towards boundary line, stops about 25 yards further and takes next shot in the ribs, dropping him. His body size amazed me - never shot a buck that big. 25-inches outside spread.
1031191754.jpg1031191756a.jpg

Next 2 nights, buddy hunts field while I watch quail & pheasants, and deer. First night bud missed 3x3 twice - first attempt forgot about safety at 120 yards. 2nd was a rushed shot at 150 yards. This was a pretty 3x3. Second night was a 2x2 causing his heart to race. He shot over it at 80 yards and then jammed his bolt gun, clearing it to not take another shot.
1101191748b.jpg

What an adventure!

Update - scored buck - 159 gross, 155.75 net. Very symmetrical.

Last edited:

DBuck

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome write up, sounds like a hell of a time. Congrats to you