2024 guided hunt with dad

Jdm77

FNG
Need some recommendations here. My dad retired this year and he called me up and said he wants to go on an elk hunt next year “while he still can” and he said it was on his bucket list. He is 66, in great health and in good shape. He has always been and avid hunter and outdoorsman and all of his vacations revolved around deer season. His urgency came about when one of the guys who worked for him passed last week and he was the same age as him, so, here we are, please recommend some good outfitters so I can take him on a guided traditional style horseback, wall tent experience to check it off his bucket list. Due to us not having points, looking at 2nd rifle season in Co. not necessarily locked on Co, looking for the experience and a good opportunity to harvest a nice bull. Budget is around $7,500 per person. Important to note is we are from Texas and I have elk hunted in Idaho a few times DIY and understand being in good shape here is different when you get at altitude.

Honestly, you will need to up your price range a little bit more. Buy a unit wide landowner tag in NM. No points, no draw. Contact the outfitter of choice as he will have the voucher from the landowner then you pay the state for the tag. You could easily be looking at anywhere from 10k to 15k per person. Or, try the less expensive OTC in CO and deal with the overcrowding there.