#22 Long Range Hunting is a specialized discipline

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Long range shooting can be done in a simple straightforward way. The technology available today makes it easier and easier.

But, being easier doesn’t mean that it is easy. If you have all the technology, but screw it all up.

What you don’t know can make a difference. I listened to podcasts this week and heard a few things that demonstrate the point.

On a podcast, a sheep hunter said he was comfortable taking a 500 yard shot with his rifle. He said he regularly shot and hit targets.

Then he began to make excuses for his miss, apparently feet over the back of the animal, which clearly showed that he didn’t understand enough. Here are his errors as I could identify them.
  • He wanted to make a quick shot, but he still tried to take his time and felt solid.
  • He was prone on his pack.
  • He had his dope on a card.
  • The dope was not for his elevation and temp.
  • He held high because of the above.
  • The shot was at a steep angle but he didn’t account for it.
  • He couldn’t spot his shot.
I don’t dispute that he could make 500 yard shots. But, missing that bad, he was not prepared to take the shot he took.

You don’t know what you don’t know.

If you don’t know how to completely dope your rifle, and that involves lots of math and understanding, then you can rely on technology. But, you need to fully understand the technology and it’s limitations.

You shouldn’t miss because of anything like elevation, temperature or shot angle.

If you haven’t shot your rifle in the field position or practiced it, then you can’t know where the rifle will be pointed after recoil but before the bullet leaves the barrel. When the rifle is already pointed up at an angle. The balance point changes and the muzzle will accelerate up faster, causing misses high. The opposite it true if the barrel is pointing down.

You don’t know what you don’t know. I still consider myself a long range student.

You can learn a lot online. I did. It helps to go to a long range class. I did. But, you also have to go practice it in the field. I did, and it took a lot of practice and evaluation of my errors.

So, get the specialized training, get the technology or learn to do it by hand, and get out and shoot.

Don’t be like the guy on the podcast that said he felt comfortable shooting long range and then exposed what he didn’t know.

But, it was honest of him to admit what happened, and I am using his lessons learned and hope you glimpse the path to follow.

Go shoot, because the final teacher falls between the trigger and the muzzle. That’s what counts in the end. Practice.

I am FAR from an expert here but will echo/add practice in the mountains, in field conditions.

I missed a buck that I felt like should have been dead. What I failed at was recognizing or even being aware of an updraft from strong thermals. Plus, I was probably putting too much face pressure from being excited/stressed.

The more I shoot in the mountains the more stuff I realize it is possible to screw up..

He held high because of the above.
That's just a special kind of clueless. Guy needs to do some reading, practice, and for god's sake he needs to get a decent LRF that ideally gives him his elevation adjustment and compensates for angle.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am FAR from an expert here but will echo/add practice in the mountains, in field conditions.

I missed a buck that I felt like should have been dead. What I failed at was recognizing or even being aware of an updraft from strong thermals. Plus, I was probably putting too much face pressure from being excited/stressed.

The more I shoot in the mountains the more stuff I realize it is possible to screw up..

I thought I was hot stuff on the range, and thankfully I got bored and started hiking with my rifle and tripod to practice. I got humbled real quick.

There is a really big learning curve.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That's just a special kind of clueless. Guy needs to do some reading, practice, and for god's sake he needs to get a decent LRF that ideally gives him his elevation adjustment and compensates for angle.
We all make mistakes, but it’s sad to make one on a hunt.

It’s good he was honest, and meant to be helpful. He can improve that way. I don’t mean to be critical in a harsh way, I hope he gets along further in his skills.

I think he just didn’t have enough practice and consistent shot process. When that happens what he knew couldn’t come to him in the moment, and that he didn’t know what he didn’t know. That comes from working and practicing a system so it is muscle memory.

We have to make the mistakes in the field during practice so that we build the corrections into our shot process to make it idiot proof. We know we turn to idiots with a buck in the binos…