.223/556 ammo recommendation

kickemall

WKR
Need some fairly inexpensive but decent ammo for a Mini 14. .223 or 556 doesn't matter. For general plinking and ranch stuff, probably not interested in fmj. Thanks in advance.

With the Mini-14, you might want to use what's stamped on the side of the barrel - it's .223 IIRC, at least on the older guns. It actually matters, unlike with an AR. The piston system is different from the gas guns 5.56 is loaded for, and 5.56 is loaded hotter than .223. This can be hard on the Mini-14. It's similar to why you want to only use 30-06 ammo loaded specifically for M1 Garands when shooting those guns, which can end up with bent or broken op rods with other loadings of 30-06.

If you're wanting to avoid FMJ, and are using this for ranch work as you mentioned, v-max bullets might be a great choice, and a number of companies load them in their ammo besides Hornady. You can run a search on AmmoSeek.com for .223, and add in "v-max" in the "Match these words in search" bar. It'll give you the cheapest prices, and you can also select for bullet weight.

sturner88

FNG
If you’re not wanting to spend a ton of money (~60cpr) i’ve had pretty good results from the AAC 77 otm from Palmetto State Armory. Has been fine for varmint/pigs/range when i’m not wanting to blow through my Black Hills 77TMK

OP
K

kickemall

WKR
Thats exactly what I don't want to do is blow through my Black Hills 77 TMK that I use in my bolt rifle.