.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, chupacabra, elk, walrus and moose.

Yes. You'll need to call & ask for it. You'll need to give them your serial number. If you currently use AR mags, it's a direct switch. If yours is a rotary style, it might. But it can be made to work very easily.

The horrible old bag on the phone will try to tell you it won't work, no matter what, but just keep in insisting you know what you're doing.

MDT magazines are the best option, without breaking the bank. AICS branded steel mags are better, but twice the price. Ruger mags can be 50/50 whether they work or not (unbelievably....) & P-mag versions flat out won't work at all.
The MDTs have an internal length of 2.55", which is nice, but Rugers have a notoriously short throat, so it's worth making up a few dummy rounds (if you don't have a comparator) & checking. (Sorry @jadkins223 I forgot to mention that bit in my PM)

Yes. You'll need to call & ask for it. You'll need to give them your serial number. If you currently use AR mags, it's a direct switch. If yours is a rotary style, it might. But it can be made to work very easily.

The horrible old bag on the phone will try to tell you it won't work, no matter what, but just keep in insisting you know what you're doing.

MDT magazines are the best option, without breaking the bank. AICS branded steel mags are better, but twice the price. Ruger mags can be 50/50 whether they work or not (unbelievably....) & P-mag versions flat out won't work at all.
The MDTs have an internal length of 2.55", which is nice, but Rugers have a notoriously short throat, so it's worth making up a few dummy rounds (if you don't have a comparator) & checking. (Sorry @jadkins223 I forgot to mention that bit in my PM)
Good info. Thank you!

I did a thread search 👀 but no bueno!
Is the 52 grain ELD Match viable for deer inside say 150 yards? Looking to minimize recoil as much as possible for a 10 year old. He’s so thin he can get out of the rain by standing under a clothes line.
I think I'd choose a different bullet.
Can he tell the difference in recoil?
If you're dropping that much weight look at Speer Gold Dot if you can find them. 60gr Partitions or 64gr Bonded Solid Base, 62gr Speer GD, would also be good options in a lighter bullet.
If he shoots enough 55gr his tolerance for slightly heavier bullets will come naturally.
Muzzle blast might be part of his issue. Witt makes a SME that helps with that a lot.

Last edited:
Ok last question (I hope!):

If you guys in this thread that are way more versed than me in this pursuit of the perfect bullet for a 223 could rank these bullets, how would it go?? I already realize the 77tmk is at the top of the list, so let’s go in order how you would rank the factory loaded bullets I have in stock or access to…

75 grain gold dot
62 grain gold dot
73 ELD-M
64 grain tipped gameking
62 grain fusion (I know, same as the gold dot I guess)

Ok last question (I hope!):

If you guys in this thread that are way more versed than me in this pursuit of the perfect bullet for a 223 could rank these bullets, how would it go?? I already realize the 77tmk is at the top of the list, so let’s go in order how you would rank the factory loaded bullets I have in stock or access to…

75 grain gold dot
62 grain gold dot
73 ELD-M
64 grain tipped gameking
62 grain fusion (I know, same as the gold dot I guess)

From best to worst, and the reasons why:

1) 73gr ELD-M - performs similarly to the TMK albeit with less penetration. Very explosive bullet.

2) 75gr Gold dot - seems to be the most effective of any .223 gold dot. Not entirely sure why, but that's what I have personally observed. Very very good expansion for a bonded .224" bullet.

3) 62gr fusion - Ranks higher than 62gr gold dot because it is available in a significantly hotter .223 load (MSR version). Non MSR load is essentially identical to the 62gr gold dot factory speer load.

4) 62gr gold dot - great bullet, but super anemic factory .223 load. We're talking ~2600fps out of a 16" barrel, when even a 5.56 pressure 77gr TMK is faster than that.

5) 64gr tipped game king - Significantly thicker jacket than the OG non tipped game king. Gold dots are better performers, in my experience. The tipped game kings aren't terrible or anything, but I wouldn't choose them over anything else you listed. Don't be fooled into thinking they're a direct upgrade over the regular game kings like TMKs are over SMKs.

From best to worst, and the reasons why:

1) 73gr ELD-M - performs similarly to the TMK albeit with less penetration. Very explosive bullet.

2) 75gr Gold dot - seems to be the most effective of any .223 gold dot. Not entirely sure why, but that's what I have personally observed. Very very good expansion for a bonded .224" bullet.

3) 62gr fusion - Ranks higher than 62gr gold dot because it is available in a significantly hotter .223 load (MSR version). Non MSR load is essentially identical to the 62gr gold dot factory speer load.

4) 62gr gold dot - great bullet, but super anemic factory .223 load. We're talking ~2600fps out of a 16" barrel, when even a 5.56 pressure 77gr TMK is faster than that.

5) 64gr tipped game king - Significantly thicker jacket than the OG non tipped game king. Gold dots are better performers, in my experience. The tipped game kings aren't terrible or anything, but I wouldn't choose them over anything else you listed. Don't be fooled into thinking they're a direct upgrade over the regular game kings like TMKs are over SMKs.
If i might add a couple of extra, common alternatives:

65/62gn* SGK. Great expansion, although frequently shed it's jacket. Excellent penetration (24"+ observed in different hogs) Punches hips & shoulders just fine. Not an explosive wound channel, but has always produced clean, 'normal' kills for me. I've killed 30+ hogs with them, & don't recall any making it 50yds. Most died pretty much on the spot. 3 whitetail DRT with complete pass through, 7 more killed by friend's kids said the same.

62/65gn* Hornady SP. Might as well be the same bullet as the SGK. Identical performance.

I've pushed both these bullets at around 27-2900fps & my longest shot with either is only +/- 120yds

*Sorry, i always forget which way round it is! One's 62, t'other's 65.

For you tikka 223 guys... what is the best/favorite budget suppressor to dedicate to your 223/tikka/6xswfa combo? Anything Under 10oz, less than 8 inches long, and under $600?
You should look at Liberty Precision Machine and Diligent Defense. Newer companies that got their start designing Form 1 parts until the ATF closed that door for everyone. Their suppressors are much better than a good majority of the well-known offerings (verified by PewScience), and they are easily available through Hansohn Brothers. 30 cal cans, but will still outperform poorly designed suppressors with a smaller aperture.

The problem with that is it’s from a local guy that I had order it and he’s getting out of the business so don’t want him stuck with it either. If it is a 10 twist I’ll probably just sin another barrel on it someday.

After reading some of the Ice fail test thread I won’t likely be buying another 700 action or clone again…. I handled some different brands and cycled the actions at a gun shop last week and every brand but the Tikka I could get the bolt to easily bind up when working the action, even the high dollar customs. The Tikka wouldn’t bind no matter what I tried doing to it.
Sorry for the late response; how did it end up working out? Just got word my rebarreled Tikka is shipping tomorrow. I painted myself into a corner by buying all the components so just thought what the heck and sent it off.

You’re spot on regarding that action. I got one on a whim a few years back and since then I’ve owned five. Awesome action for many reasons, not the least of which is smooth feeding.

Sorry for the late response; how did it end up working out? Just got word my rebarreled Tikka is shipping tomorrow. I painted myself into a corner by buying all the components so just thought what the heck and sent it off.

You’re spot on regarding that action. I got one on a whim a few years back and since then I’ve owned five. Awesome action for many reasons, not the least of which is smooth feeding.

It was a 10 twist. Got it spun off and a 22 creed barrel spun on. Just starting to work on loads for it. So far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm more than halfway through reading this entire thread, and have used the search function to answer all the "what if's" regarding projectile options, barrel length, velocity limits, etc. I was completely dumbfounded after just the first few pages. This thread is dangerous! Because of it, I have a Howa barreled action en route (Tikka one day), a SWFA 6x en route, and just received a bunch of Federal's LE TRU 77gr TMK ammo (there's more on GB).

Worse than that, I don't know what to do with all my .308 hunting ammo loaded with monos. The wound channel on the buck I killed last season with a 167gr Peregrine mono (loaded by Discreet Ballistics) pales in comparison to what's in this thread.

But, I'm really looking forward to more range time, no recoil (I shoot suppressed), and one gun to rule them all. So to all you wonderful people, with irrefutable data, thank you for contributing to my empty wallet!

I'm more than halfway through reading this entire thread, and have used the search function to answer all the "what if's" regarding projectile options, barrel length, velocity limits, etc. I was completely dumbfounded after just the first few pages. This thread is dangerous! Because of it, I have a Howa barreled action en route (Tikka one day), a SWFA 6x en route, and just received a bunch of Federal's LE TRU 77gr TMK ammo (there's more on GB).

Worse than that, I don't know what to do with all my .308 hunting ammo loaded with monos. The wound channel on the buck I killed last season with a 167gr Peregrine mono (loaded by Discreet Ballistics) pales in comparison to what's in this thread.

But, I'm really looking forward to more range time, no recoil (I shoot suppressed), and one gun to rule them all. So to all you wonderful people, with irrefutable data, thank you for contributing to my empty wallet!
No kidding! Because if this thread I also got a Howa mini action and just got shipping notification on a stock and bottom metal from Oregon Gunsmithing! Can’t wait to cut it down to 16” and put a accupoint on it!

No kidding! Because if this thread I also got a Howa mini action and just got shipping notification on a stock and bottom metal from Oregon Gunsmithing! Can’t wait to cut it down to 16” and put a accupoint on it!
That will be a nice rig. I'd like to hear feedback on the Oregunsmithing stuff. I'm definitely going to change out the bottom metal at some point, but I'm also curious how nice their stocks are. I grabbed one of the cheap OEM HTI stocks and am considering reshaping it like others have.

That will be a nice rig. I'd like to hear feedback on the Oregunsmithing stuff. I'm definitely going to change out the bottom metal at some point, but I'm also curious how nice their stocks are. I grabbed one of the cheap OEM HTI stocks and am considering reshaping it like others have.
I will be sure to post up my thoughts and a picture. Now to find some TMK’s!

Back