.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

The Guide

WKR
I've been reading and using the search to come to the conclusion that my 10.5 inch pistol barrel and my 16.5" RAR barrel should be respectfully at approximately 2350 to 2450 fps and 2600 to 2650 fps with the "typical" 77 grain load discussed in this thread. Are my assumptions correct by others experience? I have ordered a few hundred of the 77 TMK loaded ammo from Black Hills to try in the guns I already have. I have a 24" Bushmaster that I bought 15+ years ago that I could use but that thing is heavy as sin and has a fixed clunky stock. It works good for coyotes, ground squirrels, and rock chucks with 55 grain Ballistic Tip type bullets so no need to change it.

Jay

Sadly going to be without this year. It’s getting dumped off with a new tube at LRI on the way out this year.

I guess I’ll have to deal with the recoil of the 22cm

What are the details on the barrel length/contour and chamber you're going with?

Billogna

Lil-Rokslider
I've been reading and using the search to come to the conclusion that my 10.5 inch pistol barrel and my 16.5" RAR barrel should be respectfully at approximately 2350 to 2450 fps and 2600 to 2650 fps with the "typical" 77 grain load discussed in this thread. Are my assumptions correct by others experience? I have ordered a few hundred of the 77 TMK loaded ammo from Black Hills to try in the guns I already have. I have a 24" Bushmaster that I bought 15+ years ago that I could use but that thing is heavy as sin and has a fixed clunky stock. It works good for coyotes, ground squirrels, and rock chucks with 55 grain Ballistic Tip type bullets so no need to change it.

Jay
Those speeds sound like they're in the ball park. And it'd be a good idea to measure the twist rate on that older Bushy. A lot of those were 9 twist. Too slow for the heavies!!

The Guide

WKR
Those speeds sound like they're in the ball park. And it'd be a good idea to measure the twist rate on that older Bushy. A lot of those were 9 twist. Too slow for the heavies!!
Ya. My brother and I both bought rifles in the same time frame. One of us got the Predator (has a 1-8 twist) the other got the Varmint (1-9 twist) and I can't for the life of me remember which one I got other than my barrel is blued and his is SS. Took the handguard off and there are no distinguishing marks on the barrel. Not even a cartridge stamp. Guess I can take it out to 200 yards with some 77 gr bthp rounds I have and see if it is still stable. I hate using the cleaning rod method to determine a 1" twist difference.

Jay

Lawnboi

WKR
What are the details on the barrel length/contour and chamber you're going with?
It’s a proof blank, stainless, from when they were making tikka lite contoured blanks. 8 twist, and I’ll probably do 18”.

I’m going to stick with a wylde chamber for versatility. Should allow me to take advantage of case capacity on the 75/77s and still be serviceable with 60s.

I’m sick of my 17hmr and 3006 shooting tighter than my 223.

Elk botherer

Lil-Rokslider
Ya. My brother and I both bought rifles in the same time frame. One of us got the Predator (has a 1-8 twist) the other got the Varmint (1-9 twist) and I can't for the life of me remember which one I got other than my barrel is blued and his is SS. Took the handguard off and there are no distinguishing marks on the barrel. Not even a cartridge stamp. Guess I can take it out to 200 yards with some 77 gr bthp rounds I have and see if it is still stable. I hate using the cleaning rod method to determine a 1" twist difference.

Jay
If your barrel is 20”, it’s a predator. If it’s 24”, it’s a varminter if I remember correctly.

finally found a box of these to try. I have varget and h4895 and would like to stick to those 2. I understand h 4895 will probably get better speeds. For those who use h-4895 in 223 with the 77 gr tmk, out of 22.5 inch barrels, standard 2.25 mag, what kind of volocities are you getting? looks like imr 8208 can get to over 2800 with great accuracy, but would like to stick to h4895.

Axlrod

WKR
finally found a box of these to try. I have varget and h4895 and would like to stick to those 2. I understand h 4895 will probably get better speeds. For those who use h-4895 in 223 with the 77 gr tmk, out of 22.5 inch barrels, standard 2.25 mag, what kind of volocities are you getting? looks like imr 8208 can get to over 2800 with great accuracy, but would like to stick to h4895.
With 23.5 gr. H4895 and a 20" 2762 fps

The Guide

WKR
If your barrel is 20”, it’s a predator. If it’s 24”, it’s a varminter if I remember correctly.
I wish it was that easy but my research has found 24" versions of each in both blued and SS. I'll just have to try to double patch a jag and see if it is closer to 8" or 9". The ultimate verification will be if it holds stability at distance with the heavies.

Jay

amassi

WKR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Just got some ordered.

Anybody loading the 77 tmk over ramshot TAC in their 223 tikka?

I just got a tikka 223, so excited to be on this journey. I’m assuming people are loading to 5.56 velocities/pressure since tikkas are CIP 223? Just for grins, I dropped my 5.56 gauges into the chamber, closed on the go and didn’t on the field and no go.

24.5 works for a lot of guys. I had some cratering at that yesterday in a custom barrel, 85F ambient. Hogdgon book max is 23.7 I think.