300 Win Mag too much for a Vortex Diamondback Tactical?

iramsey

FNG
Hi - first post - I bought a Franchi 300 Win Mag and put a Vortex Diamondback Tactical scope on it for this upcoming elk season. While out at the range we could not get it sighted in. We had a guy come over who is a competition shooter and got it sighted in over on a big fancy sled. We take it back out to shoot just on the bipod and beanbags and first shot is dead on. Second shot however was a ways off. I am thinking that is my fault and try a third. That one is even more off. The guy who helped us sight it in gets down and shoots it and its way off. His only thinking was the recoil is too much for the Vortex Diamondback model to handle. I am inclined to believe him because a) he shoots competition, b) I know I am not THAT bad of a shooter, and c) I have no idea what else it could be... Has anyone else ever ran into this situation? If so, what scope do you recommend? I have all vortex optics and am looking to go to the next step up to a Viper but don't want to run into the same situation. Thanks!

Vortex doesn't have a great reputation here, especially the cheap ones, but your mounting system could also be ruining accuracy, especially if you don't think about it enough to even mention it. If you don't want to spend more $ on a scope right now, then take everything apart and remount following these directions: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/scope-mounting-to-maintain-zero.78482/

That will help you prove that the scope is the problem the next time you shoot. Also "way off" isn't a measurement, so it's not very helpful for us. Pictures, measurements, or best yet, pictures with measurements are actually useful.

Scopes that work for most folks around here who wring out scopes https://www.rokslide.com/forums/forums/rifle-scope-field-evaluations.133/ :
SWFA SS 6x, 3-9x, 3-15, 5-20
Trijicon tenmile
Bushnell LRHS/LRTS
Nightforce SHV, NXS, ATACR
Minox ZP5

OP
iramsey

iramsey

FNG
Vortex doesn't have a great reputation here, especially the cheap ones, but your mounting system could also be ruining accuracy, especially if you don't think about it enough to even mention it. If you don't want to spend more $ on a scope right now, then take everything apart and remount following these directions: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/scope-mounting-to-maintain-zero.78482/

That will help you prove that the scope is the problem the next time you shoot. Also "way off" isn't a measurement, so it's not very helpful for us. Pictures, measurements, or best yet, pictures with measurements are actually useful.

Scopes that work for most folks around here who wring out scopes https://www.rokslide.com/forums/forums/rifle-scope-field-evaluations.133/ :
SWFA SS 6x, 3-9x, 3-15, 5-20
Trijicon tenmile
Bushnell LRHS/LRTS
Nightforce SHV, NXS, ATACR
Minox ZP5
Well I bought the most expensive rings that Scheels offered so I would not think it is those... but could be. I want to spend more money on a scope right now I just need to know which one to get so thanks for the recommendations!

fmyth

WKR
I have the same scope on my .300WM and have shot around 100 rounds of 150's 200 rounds of 180's and 60 rounds of 200G at the range. It's ridden hundreds of miles on forest service roads on an atv and thousands of miles in the truck. It's been dropped twice and it still holds zero. Maybe you got a bad one or maybe there is an issue with the mounting system or the rifles action to stock mounting. Read the posts Researchinstuff postedvabove before you do anything.

Well I bought the most expensive rings that Scheels offered so I would not think it is those... but could be. I want to spend more money on a scope right now I just need to know which one to get so thanks for the recommendations!
Quality is one factor, proper installation is another. Most folks don't know or care enough to take the necessary steps to get things to work.

OP
iramsey

iramsey

FNG
I have the same scope on my .300WM and have shot around 100 rounds of 150's 200 rounds of 180's and 60 rounds of 200G at the range. It's ridden hundreds of miles on forest service roads on an atv and thousands of miles in the truck. It's been dropped twice and it still holds zero. Maybe you got a bad one or maybe there is an issue with the mounting system or the rifles action to stock mounting. Read the posts Researchinstuff postedvabove before you do anything.
That is good news! I thought it would be fine, even if it is a cheaper scope... but thanks for the comment!

OP
iramsey

iramsey

FNG
Quality is one factor, proper installation is another. Most folks don't know or care enough to take the necessary steps to get things to work.
I had it mounted when I bought it at Scheels and then remounted by the guy at the range so do you think it could possibly be the rings? I trust the guy at the range more and just did not think they could both install it wrong so trusted his opinion that it was just too cheap of a scope. I am not very knowledgeable in optics as I just moved to Utah and this will be my first season big game hunting out here so its all been a huge learning experience!

Thanks for the comments and the links above and I will continue doing some research!

if they didn't follow the full mounting procedure I shared then they didn't actually eliminate the potential for a mounting problem.

Honestly, my opinion is that your scope is probably junk, but getting the mounting situation straightened up is also mandatory to assembling an accurate rifle, as no scope will work well if it's slipping around in the rings.

Overdrive

WKR
When I see something like this with any scope I generally double check the torque on my base screws and ring screws.

I also make sure my rifles action screws and forearm screw is tightened up to eliminate those things. If the scope still isn't shooting proper then it may be an internal issue with the scope.

I don't ever shoot with a lead sled type rest either, I want the rifle shouldered and absorb the recoil.

OP
iramsey

iramsey

FNG
When I see something like this with any scope I generally double check the torque on my base screws and ring screws.

I also make sure my rifles action screws and forearm screw is tightened up to eliminate those things. If the scope still isn't shooting proper then it may be an internal issue with the scope.

I don't ever shoot with a lead sled type rest either, I want the rifle shouldered and absorb the recoil.
Interesting... okay that is good information! and I am not a fan of the lead sled either. I bought one, used it for 3 shots, and took it back. I like just having it shouldered as well.

fmyth

WKR
That is good news! I thought it would be fine, even if it is a cheaper scope... but thanks for the comment!
The rifle came with an elcheapo Vortex Crossfire 3x9 (you can buy them under $100) and It survived several hunts and helped me kill my first elk. Lots of great advice in this thread on determining if its a bad scope or something else. I hope you get it figured out. I am hoping to upgrade to a SWFA 3x9 if they ever come back in stock.