7MM SAUM - 162 ELD-X - 2.82 OAL

Rambling

FNG
Hello,

Looking for some "expert" advice building my first rifle ever. Currently have the following parts and pieces on order.

- Zermatt TI3 Short Action
- XLR 4.0 Chassis
- 22 inch, 750 Taperless Stainless - 7MM SAUM 1:8 Twist - Preferred Barrels

I do not reload but ordered 100 rounds of 162 ELD-X, 7MM SAUM OAL 2.82 inches from a custom shop. Velocity on this bullet from the custom shop is 3050 FPS with a 24 inch barrel

I went down the rabbit hole of OAL on ammo. Looking to hunt with this rifle and shoot less than 1 MOA @ 100 YARDS

Looking for opinions on OAL ordered and 162 ELD-X bullet. How much of a difference does OAL make related to MOA for hunting out to 500 yards.

Thanks for your input.

ID_Matt

WKR
Changing OAL is generally done based on the length of your specific chamber. Factory ammo is generally all loaded to the same spec length. Shoot it and see how it does. Sometimes length can make a big difference and sometimes it can make no difference in accuracy. In my opinion if a chamber is cut perfectly straight and ammo is loaded straight, OAL does not matter as much as some think.

I had good luck with 162's in my 7 SAUM. They should work plenty good out to 500.

OP
R

Rambling

FNG
Changing OAL is generally done based on the length of your specific chamber. Factory ammo is generally all loaded to the same spec length. Shoot it and see how it does. Sometimes length can make a big difference and sometimes it can make no difference in accuracy. In my opinion if a chamber is cut perfectly straight and ammo is loaded straight, OAL does not matter as much as some think.

I had good luck with 162's in my 7 SAUM. They should work plenty good out to 500.
Thanks! I appreciate the info.

Why is it loaded so short? Should have a mag that will go to 2.950". I'd think it'd be hard to load too long to where you're jamming in the lands with that bullet in a SA mag.

Not saying it wont work, just pointing that out.

OP
R

Rambling

FNG
Why is it loaded so short? Should have a mag that will go to 2.950". I'd think it'd be hard to load too long to where you're jamming in the lands with that bullet in a SA mag.

Not saying it wont work, just pointing that out.
Thanks for response. This is my first go round with building a rifle. Choose 2.82 as that was the SAAMI spec was 2.82 and the Hornady OAL in the reloading manual was only 2.77 for this bullet. Realizing now could have gone a little longer.

Chad E

WKR
Im no expert but without knowing your chamber dimensions it's hard to say how a 2.82 oal cartridge will relate to it.

I have a 7 saum chambered with a reamer that allows me to load most long high bc bullets in the 175 to 180 class to a oal of 3.1 an still be off the land's. So in my 7 saum your 2.82 loaded ammo would be "jumping" a good distance. In general I think eldxs seem fairly insensitive to jump so it wouldn't concern me to much.

OP
R

Rambling

FNG
Im no expert but without knowing your chamber dimensions it's hard to say how a 2.82 oal cartridge will relate to it.

I have a 7 saum chambered with a reamer that allows me to load most long high bc bullets in the 175 to 180 class to a oal of 3.1 an still be off the land's. So in my 7 saum your 2.82 loaded ammo would be "jumping" a good distance. In general I think eldxs seem fairly insensitive to jump so it wouldn't concern me to much.
Ok, thanks for the feedback!

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can't speak to 162, but 175s are fine in a SAAMI chamber 7SAUM. I run them 2.915 COAL in my SAAMI chamber.