8 man tipi question

mdkelley

FNG
has anyone used the cabelas 2XL disc o bed cots in a tipi? they are 87.5"L x 45"W. Just wondering if two of these would fit with a stove in an 8 man (SO or Kifaru) or if they would be too large. Got a set a couple years ago for Christmas when I was going to buy a wall tent, but after reading more about wall tents it sounds like a tipi is a better option for packed size/weight/setup time/portability.

ahlgringo

WKR
Will fit fine, worst case with stove is that you may get a little condensation on bags if they touch wall.

I do it all the time in mine- set em up in a V with the stove in the crotch of the V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pootros

FNG
I used a Kifaru 8 man tipi last year and we had a decent size stove in it along with cots. Everything fit fine but it was a little tight for two guys and our mountain of gear. We did have some issues with condensation on the walls despite having a full liner. It all worked out and was a super comfortable camp. Having an elevated cot was really nice for the storage underneath.

We are presently debating to continue with the 8 man or upgrade to a 12 man. The tipi is a cinch to set up and is wonderful to sleep in. I have used a lot of wall tents and the tipi is my go to from now on due to the packed weight and portability.

OP
M

mdkelley

FNG
good to know! I was a bit worried since these cots are close to 10" longer and a bit wider than most other cots.

skierhs

WKR
I used a Kifaru 8 man tipi last year and we had a decent size stove in it along with cots. Everything fit fine but it was a little tight for two guys and our mountain of gear. We did have some issues with condensation on the walls despite having a full liner. It all worked out and was a super comfortable camp. Having an elevated cot was really nice for the storage underneath.

We are presently debating to continue with the 8 man or upgrade to a 12 man. The tipi is a cinch to set up and is wonderful to sleep in. I have used a lot of wall tents and the tipi is my go to from now on due to the packed weight and portability.
I’ve been debating the same thing. I can’t tell if I want to go with a 8 or 12 man tipi.

I have an 8man and I have used 2 of the smaller sized roll-a-cots on horse trips with great success, but I'm guessing you're not packing any of this gear around on your back so I would definitely go with the twelve man for those big ol cots. My brother has the same cot and boy is it comfy.

rayporter

WKR
I have owned 2 different 8 man tipis. yes it worked. but it was cramped enough I got a 12.

it helps if you get the short helinox size. possibly if the helinox had been around back then I may have kept one of the 8 's

I will go out on a limb and say you wont be happy if need the stove. with out the stove you shoud have room.

build a mock up around a pole or post with string and rope staked out to the the diameter of the tipi. it will give you an idea of how the sides will affect the cot.