A few 2023 Wyoming antelope

Last year was a year of ups and downs for me on several fronts, but things started coming together with this trip to Wyoming with my kids. We hunted with Backcountry Hunting Logistics and had a fabulous time while taking several nice goats. At the time of the hunt, I had lost 30 lbs, and while that was nice, it wasn't enough. I was able to do the stalk needed but was sucking wind so bad, that I was pretty lucky to harvest my goat. I missed the first shot, but he stayed put and I was able to get a good second shot off. Ironically, two of these bucks were shot within 100 yards of each other, just a day apart. With my new focus on getting healthy, I am now down another 71 pounds (a total of 101 pounds) and look much different even from when this hunt took place 7 months ago. Baby steps each day, but heading in the right direction. WMFF8774 - Copy.JPGNoah.jpgJonal Horn Base.jpg381229013_18236570074236978_4744247010983127144_n.jpgResized_20230921_093248.jpg

ihookem

FNG
And your son showed you how out of shape you are . Mine too. He can walk for miles grouse hunting and before he takes a deep breath , my knees are sore.

OP
Sandhillshunter
Thank you, everyone, it truly has been life-changing. While I am down to 0 points for antelope now, we do have a good number of deer and elk points. So might start looking into those for 2025.

armedhiker

Lil-Rokslider
comgrats on the weight loss and those 2 awesome bucks! How many points did you use if you don't mind me asking?

CBar

FNG
Thank you, everyone, it truly has been life-changing. While I am down to 0 points for antelope now, we do have a good number of deer and elk points. So might start looking into those for 2025.
Save your points for deer for a few more years. It’ll take some time after last winter to rebuild our herd. We’ve gone from 60,000 to 11,000 in the last 30 years. Elk, however, are generally above WYGFD objectives throughout the state!

OP
Sandhillshunter
It was 10 or 11 points, and things worked out for us. But darn, the numbers were low and we didn't see the animals like we have in the past. Regarding antelope, I'm glad we used our points when we did and can use the next few years to build back up while the herd rebuilds. While we had a great hunt, it was also a little sad harvesting these guys, because of what we saw in reduced numbers. It was an emotional hunt on several fronts.

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Nice bucks.👍 Congrats. I took my first ever antelope hunt last Oct to WY. Great trip, good first experience, & got a decent pronghorn buck. Not as nice as y’all’s but a good one. Wished I’d shed a few pounds before I went, but did OK otherwise. Congrats @Sandhillshunter on your weight loss. I know it ain’t easy!