Active hunting / upland layering -- What ya using??

ptwysocki

FNG
At the risk of another layering thread, I'm going to past anyway and try to save myself some money and time burning through combos that don't work.

This is really geared towards upland hunting, but I think applies to any active hunt where odor control isn't the #1 priority. I got hooked into the merino game from firstlite a few years back. Mostly all of my base/mid layers are from them and are merino. I'm starting to read more and more about synthetic and how it's better for high-sweat or exertion events. So with that being said, is there any synthetic base/mid layers ya'll reccomend? Any combinations that work best? I'm looking to try running synthetic as next to skin and then maybe a merino on top...but with some of the synthetic mid-layers (KUIU Peloton looks interesting?) maybe merino just doesn't have a place for high exertion hunting where you are active and sweat more. Nothing lost on the firstlite stuff...still love using it for all my whitetail/etc hunting.

So being more straight to the point -- all you chukar hunters or active big game hunters...what are you wearing for base/mid layers?

Thanks all. happy hunting.

I use Patagonia stuff myself……switched from merino to synthetics a few years ago after being tired of merino falling apart after a season of use.

I use a synthetic base layer, in this case a Patagonia Capilene 1/4 zip and wear a Patagonia 1/4 zip fleece hoody over that. I live and play in SW Colorado so I am constantly going up or down. So far this has worked pretty well for me in staying warm, but not overheating and managing my moisture. When I go static I throw on a set of puffy jacket and pants. I used the same layering system last December in South Dakota when hunting birds and it was wicked cold and retarded windy.

After nearly 30 years of being in the woods on different continents and various shitty countries, I feel like I have finally gotten it figured out for myself.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

jmez

WKR
Above 50, short sleeve Synthetic t shirt. Below 50, Synthetic Columbia long sleeve shirt. When it gets around freezing Cabela's Instinct hunting shirt over the Columbia. Teens and lower Banded polyester 1/4 zip sweatshirt over the other two.

That is it for the entire bird season for me in SD.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Seeknelk

WKR
I'm really impressed with the Alclima fishnet merino top and how warm it is yet really moves moisture with a sitka fanatic or peleton 97 over there top. I bet the synthetic fishnet would dry and move moisture even faster. I gotta watch out when and how I wear it tho. I have 6 kids already🤣

yfarm

WKR
As jmez says for pheasants in Kansas In Dec, Iowa in Nov and quail in south Tx in Jan and Feb. Wrangler performance pants with silkweight polartec when its cold. Ran for 30 yrs in below zero temps in the midwest, that experience changed my approach to upland hunting clothing as well as mountain hunting. All synthetic to move moisture out wind resistant highly breathable outer layer.
Same thing hunting in high temps in Sept in south Texas, look for olive colored running shirts and shorts at Academy Sports. Analyze how your clothing choices affect your ability to move without restriction, most of the “hunting“ clothing on the market requires higher energy output and excess heat production compared with aerobic activity clothing. Try running up a slope wearing track pants and trail shoes versus carhartts and redwings.

RVarland

FNG
I’ve got a Sitka core long sleeve that’s lasted a few years as a base layer and usually a grid fleece mid layer over that. I’ve picked up a Patagonia r1 hoody and pullover in neutral colors off eBay reasonably cheap and they’re the single most used pieces of clothing I’ve ever had. The zipper goes pretty low so you can vent heat really well.

I like wool base layers, however I have yet to find one that works well with fleece over it as they’re usually pretty grabby and bunch up.

OP
P

ptwysocki

FNG
thanks for the feedback. I'm going to test out more synthetic items this year. I don't care as much about the smell as it's only one day hunts and they are always active as you're walking multiple miles with the pups. I definitely sweat, and sometimes get the clammy feeling with synthetic...but I think that might because I always layer it with merino.

any way...what are some must have's you all use for synthetic base and mid layers? I've heard good things about the sitka lightweight -- but it seems to be basic 100% polyester...nothing crazy. the Kuiu stuff is also interesting but definitely pricey.

I also want to try synthetic longjohns. I always find the merino ones from FL has a waistband that stretches out and struggles to stay snug and up on the waist. definitely like the 3/4 length - so ill be on the lookout for those as well.

again, thanks all

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
For a midlayer synthetic Stone Glacier Helio does the job well. Ran the zip-offs for moose hunting this year and then bought the Helio hoodie to run as my grid fleece this coming year. The Sitka Arrowhead MDWi is a fantastic piece that can be used as a midlayer or outside layer. I run mine under a jetstream while not at work and under a fleece while at work. Does a great job balancing warmth while being an active piece.

Long winded post warning:

My favorite high exertion base layer is by far the core lw. I have it in a short sleeve, long sleeve and hoody. It moves moisture so so well and dries so fast.
I use them all the time. If I could only have 1 baselayer for everything it would be a core LW for sure.

My favorite high activity mid layer for upland that would also work really well for big game is actually one of the cheaper options from sitka- the core midweight zip T. Dries fast, has been plenty durable and provides just enough warmth. These can also flex as a cold season baselayer and I wear them daily in the office in solids as well. Don't get me wrong, I love my ambient as well but the ambient isn't as durable and I darn sure can't wear it if it's warm out and I'm moving. The midweight is the best value in all of sitkas lineup in my opinion.

I throw a softshell vest like a jetstream or similar on if it's needed and I'm good for 60 degrees down to 10 or less chasing grouse late season. I'll swap out the vest for a jetstream jacket if it's really cold.

That's without a doubt my favorite setup.

Now- if you're looking to save a couple bucks the wrangler performance baselayer top and bottom are about 80 or 85% as good as the sitka core Lw and they are regularly on sale at my local walmart for 12$.

wrangler also makes a mid weight quarter zip which is an excellent mid layer. The fit isn't as good as the sitka for me, but I think for 22$ it's a steal.

Amazon basics has a polar fleece vest I've been using a ton too that is super cheap and adds just the right amount of warmth over a base layer.

Wrangler also makes my favorite upland pants. I don't take them elk hunting because they're a cotton blend, but they stop briars perfectly and the reinforced knees have held up to hundreds of miles of abuse this season.

I'm an absolute gear whore so I try everything out. I love testing and trying new things, and it's been amazing to see how good some of the cheaper products really can be.

I've come to realize that a very light weight and well fitting full synthetic base layer top and + a mid weight full synthetic fleece is the core of almost all of my layering regardless of situation for any type of high activity hunt. I'll add more lofty insulation for static hunts or extreme cold, or a soft shell vest or jacket if it's brutally windy but if I'm on the move that's my go to.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure what your upland hunting is like, but I am busting heavy brush that would kill most stuff fast. I use a light synthetic tee with an Orvis Pro LT pullover. This has held up to the brush and thorns better than I thought and much better than anything else I have tried in this weight range. I use just these two down to 30f and still sweat my arse off I can't image adding another layer. Below 30 I might add a thin long sleeve merino like the Kuiu 145.