Adding grommets to silpoly tarp

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys just wondering if/how I can add grommets or tiedown points around the edge of my silpoly tarp? It's a 10x10 with one grommet in each corner and one in each center. I'm looking at adding one in between each attachment point to give me a few more pitch option. All the originals are reinforced with an additional price of LW fabric. My concern is just punching a hole and fitting a grommet might tear out after a few uses in heavy wind. I'm not against a pinch on type but I don't want to add a ton of extra weight/ bulk. Thanks

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You should be able to glue additional fabric to silnylon using silicone to reenforce the new grommet.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Sawfish

Lil-Rokslider
I have seen extra large plastic grommets to alleviate the tearing you reference. Using Gorilla Glue or something as referenced above should do the trick.. Do a search on Amazon for the grommets. Harbor Freight has grommets but I only remember seeing the brass ones in their store.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
You should be able to glue additional fabric to silnylon using silicone to reenforce the new grommet.

I've seen people do this... and I've also seen people make a "sandwich" of gorilla tape around the sil-nylon, and then placing the grommet through that. So gorilla tape/tarp/gorilla tape. I've never done it myself, but videos I've seen seem to show it working quite well.

^Thats a poly tarp, but you get the idea.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never worked with silpoly but few things stick to silnylon. Also if you use silicone and similar fabric everything will expand and contact the same. Not might be an issue on the edge

OP
O

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
I looked it up and the actual material is 190T polyester taffeta with a waterproof index of 3000mm. I'm hesitant to try gorilla tape and punch holes just in case it doesn't work. Another option I have considered is sewing on loops out of light weight webbing,but maybe the gorilla sandwich with grommet is the way to go??? I just don't want to ruin a perfectly good tarp:)

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
Sew in loops. That is what I have done and it works well Use a flat feld seam to sew two pieces of silnylon together. If your tarp already has a finished edge just sew a small patch and the loop on at the same time.