Advice between el 8.5x42 and nl 10x32 for a trip to Safari

benG

FNG
Planning a trip and scouting for a bino to bring for safari.

If both can be had for the same price, would your advice/opinion change?

NL. You will mostly be spotting from a vehicle so you won't be likely to have trouble stabilizing them, so the 10X would be great, and they have about the same FOV as the 8.5's. The 8.5's might draw a little more light but for the most part you won't need it in Africa. I've got the forehead rest for my NL 10X42, and I like it a lot.

Either will work just fine. Don‘t know what kind of safari or environment you’ll be in — a Buffalo hunt in the Luangwa is quite different from an Eastern Cape Plainsgame Hunt. Also, if it is your first safari there is a lot of new things to grab your interest - people, landscapes, Boabab trees, birds, and other critters beyond those you’ll be hunting. A good binocular will certainly enhance enjoyment. Bring a good camera too.

A few factors to consider:
- how much time will you be hunting from the truck vs on foot?
- Africa can be extremely dusty depending on area hunted
- are you hunting with rifle, bow or a combination?
- will you be the only person using the binoculars?
- your PH will be the primary judge of trophy quality

Also, although they make fine products and I own several - no PH will think less of anyone showing up with a Zeiss, Leica, Meopta, etc. There are many fine choices to bring on safari.

NL. You will mostly be spotting from a vehicle so you won't be likely to have trouble stabilizing them, so the 10X would be great, and they have about the same FOV as the 8.5's. The 8.5's might draw a little more light but for the most part you won't need it in Africa. I've got the forehead rest for my NL 10X42, and I like it a lot.
Thanks for your advice

Either will work just fine. Don‘t know what kind of safari or environment you’ll be in — a Buffalo hunt in the Luangwa is quite different from an Eastern Cape Plainsgame Hunt. Also, if it is your first safari there is a lot of new things to grab your interest - people, landscapes, Boabab trees, birds, and other critters beyond those you’ll be hunting. A good binocular will certainly enhance enjoyment. Bring a good camera too.

A few factors to consider:
- how much time will you be hunting from the truck vs on foot?
- Africa can be extremely dusty depending on area hunted
- are you hunting with rifle, bow or a combination?
- will you be the only person using the binoculars?
- your PH will be the primary judge of trophy quality

Also, although they make fine products and I own several - no PH will think less of anyone showing up with a Zeiss, Leica, Meopta, etc. There are many fine choices to bring on safari.
Just hunting optically. I am planning a private safari covering the Great Migration route, so i will be watching the game fr9m a modified landcruiser.

Either will work great! Took 8s and 10s with me. I mostly carried the 8s on my stalks. My wife had the 10s on her truck rides.

Back