Advice for a Kuiu Pro 6000

So I started Elk hunting in 2021, purchased a Kuiu Pro 2300 for day hunts and for the most part that pack system has performed very well for me. I did have a hang up with the Kuiu rifle sling, but I had it on wrong to begin with and it worked decent after getting it set up right. Packed out a 5x6 Bull over 20 miles. I honestly had very few complaints about the pack and the system. It was very comfortable with an elk quarter in and hauling the rest of the gear as well.

Skip to 2023, we planned our fall Colorado elk hunt. This time we were planning to spike out and I needed a larger pack. Being that I already had the 2300 pro, I decided to purchase the 6000 bag to fit on the pro frame. I was very efficient packing this bag for up to 3 nights out at a time. This was also a bow hunt so I purchased the Kuiu Bow sling.

I was wondering if anyone has an experience with these two items. First problem was mainly with the larger pack. I had a hard time synching it down tight enough to the frame to keep it from swinging side to side when I was walking. Almost like it was pivoting in the center and moving side to side. Over the course of a week, I tried several methods to get it snug so it wouldn't move. I kept most of the heavier items in the middle of the pack and towards the bottom, then the lighter stuff up top and lightweight gear like puffy coat, Jetboil and a few odds and ends in the wings. It seemed to always move around more than I liked.

I also ended up ditching the top storage compartment because it was never needed other than a rain flap and got in the way of the bow sling.

The bow sling was not super easy to connect as far as making it work with the pack. the bottom attachment points on the sling appeared sewed on backwards and the top holder portion always interfered with the top cover. It was hard to get the bow to hold tight to my pack. If I would have needed to get quick access to my bow, I would have needed to rely on a hunting partner to remove it and it was not easily accessible by myself without removing my pack.

My brother had just gotten an New EXO pack which is similar to the Kuiu pro system and he was vary happy with his and his pack didn't swing around like mine.

Not sure I could have tightened anything any more than I did and used all the synch straps. Am I missing something or do the larger packs just have a sway to them? This was my first time out with a larger pack so just asking for opinions.

You probably had the bag mounted wrong , i would contact Kuiu customer service and see of they can help you maybe by sending pics of the way its mounted. Maybe post pics here and somebody that has one can compare and notice something different about yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hikenhunt

WKR
I get mine very snug with four connection points. The obvious two at the top for the load lifters and the two on the back of the pack that touches the suspension near the bottom. The two at the bottom have clips so after you slip it over the top of the frame, you clip and tighten from the bottom.

hikenhunt

WKR
I also changed how the top of the pack cinches down because when you have small loads on a larger pack, the side compression straps are too low to help. Although you made it sound like it was your whole pack shifting, not just the top.

OP
spitfire_er
You probably had the bag mounted wrong , i would contact Kuiu customer service and see of they can help you maybe by sending pics of the way its mounted. Maybe post pics here and somebody that has one can compare and notice something different about yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
There is really one way to mount it outside of switching to the load carry mode.
I also changed how the top of the pack cinches down because when you have small loads on a larger pack, the side compression straps are too low to help. Although you made it sound like it was your whole pack shifting, not just the top.
Thinking back I do think this was part of it. The side synching straps seemed to be too low.

180ls1

WKR
Have you google image searched "how to load weight in backpack?"

PS, the 500lt makes for a really nice do everything pack if you just want 1 for everything and to fine tune.

OP
spitfire_er
Yes I spent a lot of time researching all that before my trip. I think maybe the other issue was not having it packed full. The top straps were maxed out and could not be tightened any further to bring the top tight.